PDA

View Full Version : Questions for my new FishCat 4

Yoyo
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey guys and gals,
Well, it's been over a year and I finally bought a Fish Cat 4 float tube. I gotta say I am quite excited about getting it in the water. While opening boxes and putting the thing together I ran into a few questions. First, is there an easy way to tell what 1.8 psi is? I know it says to press down with your thumb but how hard do you press?
Also, how durable are the straps that hold the backrest in place? They seem to be a little lacking in the support with not too much sewing holding it in place. I feel like if I were to lean back hard I might do some damage. Do you guys reinforce those straps at all or am I worrying too much about it?
I also got a bright red life vest that I was planning on keeping in the back area, what do you guys use as the 12 x 12 orange patch? Would bright red substitute for orange?
Lastly, do you carry a pump with you out on the water or leave it in the car?
Any info or opinions are welcome, thanks in advance. On a side note, it's been great reading posts and seeing everyone's modified float tube. Very cool.
Jon

Nessie Hunter
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
As far as air pressure goes.. Not sure of the best way, but here is what I do and it works for me..
I normally blow it up with a 12V pump, then top it off with my breath as hard as I can comfortably blow...
Nice & tight..
Remember water and air temp will increase pressure when its hot, and decrease it when its cold.
If you are going to any altitude ~ over a grade, or up the hills, mtns. MAKE SURE and deflate the tube BEFORE you go up...
The altitude and thin air will cause the tube to burst!!!!!!!

I have the ODC so not sure of your straps, but mine have help up for many years & work just fine ~ except for slipping and needing adjusting about once a trip!!!!!???
I end up in a reclined position and get sleepy!! LMAO

I have a $5 cheap Orange vest kept in the rear of tube.. Have never been asked or questioned about the 12x12 reflective Warning patch????

Have a blast, I know I do....

Yoyo
03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

See Chris Fish
03-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I own a Fish Cat 4.
First couple of times I went out, I took the pump with me. Now I leave it in the truck. You'll get to a point, real quick, when you can tell how the pressure is by pushing down on the tube.

No issues what so ever with the straps.

I keep my PFD in the back "storage" area with a small Igloo cooler with lunch.

Never been asked about a orange panel.

Make sure you have a "noise maker" on you. I use a survival whistle. Never had to use it. I am blessed with a loud, booming voice!!!

My best advice is to just get out there and fish with it. You'll find out what you need and don't need. I used to carry a lot of extra gear, but now I know exactly what I need to bring.

Happy kicking!!!!

fishtales
03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a West Marine inflatable life vest, manual not automatic. I love it. I wear it where I wouldn't wear my kayaker's vest I used to have. I don't even know it's there but if I need it, all I have to do is pull a ripcord. It's comfortable and doesn't get in the way at all.

A kayaker's whistle is a good idea, it's real loud. When I fished in the bay, you'd never know if someone piloting a boat with the radio going and drinking would see you. I also carried a small air horn plus my whistle. I had to use it a couple of times. Sometimes people just aren't paying attention, too.

Have fun, you'll love it!

FT

Yoyo
03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys!