PDA

View Full Version : guiding the lake

Matt_Magnone
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
ive been kicking around the idea of guiding DVL. before i venture out and snag my guides license and all that jive and dump some change into this, i wanted to see what kinda feedback i would get from you guys to see if its something the majority would be interested in.

Morning Dash - Open to 9:00 (how to pattern fish with time constraints)
1/2 Day - Open to 12:00
Full Day - Open to 3:00

tell me what you wanna get out of a guided trip. if i pursue this, i want your feedback.

Bassman1974
03-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I say go for it, keep your price reasonable and you could make some$ I think some of the other guides prices are on the high side (just my opinon), if you keep the price right for the average income guy you would do great. Don't get me wrong I think you know this lake aswell or better than anyone that guides this lake. What I am trying to say is that i think you have a better chance of success if you keep the price right.

oatums
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Hell yea I'll hire you as a guide any day. You always killed them out there....My freezer are out of striper fillet and I'm ready to stock up...........What are you price for guided trip ??

Marine_Michael
03-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I think you'd make one hell of a guid from what I've read on the forums and heard from others. As was already mentioned, the thing I'd be most concerned about when looking at hiring you would be the cost. $200-$300 for the whole day is just more than I can afford right now. Even when that fee is split with another angler it's still a bit much. Now from what I've read these other guides also supply the tackle and lures to the client, I know some of those baits can get pricy so maybe that's something I'm not taking into consideration.

It would be interesting to see a price differentiation depending on the target species. I know I'll catch hell for this, but I think there is a lot more attention to detail and technique needed (ie. more to teach) when targeting LMB compared to stripers. So if there was a lower priced guide trip where it was agreed that the target species was striper and only techniques for targeting them would be covered, I'd be more willing to book a trip.

Another consideration might a system where a discount or free trip is given after a certain number of trips booked by an idividual, similar to the rental boat system. Or book (and pay for) 5 trips in advance and recieve 10-15% off.

Sparky70
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I need some FISH in my FREEZER

Matt_Magnone
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
good information guys. i'll definately take this all into consideration.

i have the utmost respect and look up to all the guides on diamond valley and definately know that their time and expertise is well worth the prices they set. knowing that they all read this forum as lurkers, i in no way am trying to undercut or steal business away from you guys. everyday in the shop i talk to anglers who just dont have the resources to get out on the water anymore and its kind of a bummer.

i appreciate you all taking the time to throw ideas out there for me to consider.

Matt_Magnone
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
by the way, i do realize this isnt supposed to be in the "reports" section. the only place i check for DVL related info is here so i felt this would be the place to ask the info. im sure you all understand.

RngrAngler18
03-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I say go for it, you would make an excellent guide. You have such a great wealth of knowledge for the lake, and a knack for helping people. I think it's an awesome idea and what is better than getting paid everyday to do what you love.

Sublime-Steve
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
been wondering why ur not a guide already lol

Bassman1974
03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Matt it has nothing to do with stealing coustmers, This is just what Megan did when she started the lower cost tourney for the lower income anglers, I think its great that you guys think more about the anglers and not your wallets. Dont worry about what the other guides will think, its all about the coustmer, and makeing them happy. Go for it bro, you will do great!

DarkShadow
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Matt,

With your knowledge of the lake, there's no way you wouldn't have a long list of clientele willing to go out with you.

The only problem would be pricing, and the fact that if your pricing undercuts other guides, they may not be very happy about that.

And, if you're fishing tournaments still, you will have to find that fine balance between getting your clients on fish, and also not revealing any 'top secret' information, because as we all know, there's stuff you tell everyone, and stuff you only tell a certain few.

Good luck with the venture!

yolo
03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Lures, equipment, vehicle gas, boat gas, launch fee, ice etc. and I don't think guides charge that much. I have never hired one and probably never will but I don't see the prices out of line or outrageous. If you buddy up, it sounds like a great deal for an angler wanting to learn and most likely catch fish. I am assuming the posted $200 to $300 figure for a full day is what the going rates are?

As far as worrying about other guides and what they think, it should be a non issue. You are free to open and run your own business without their approval. It happens every day in all sorts of trades and occupations.

HuskerRod
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Matt,

Sounds like a great venture for you. You definately know your stuff out there.

stocker
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm not a huge guide or tourney fan so I say focus on your business. That's not to say that you wouldn't be a great guide. Lowering the price per half/day than the rest of the guides in the area in my opinion isn't the answer. Just my 2cts.

Dr. MindBendo
03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
You should just go for it Matt. You have a buzz going on right now with your name. I think you've earned your respect if you ask me. As far as pricing do whatever makes $en$e. Economy is bad right now and many folks are broke. Just keep that in mind.

Marky
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Competition is a good thing...

Bassnman Mike
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Seeing your posts here I think you would do good at it. Good luck on your venture.

TrouTracker
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
To Matt- You're ready to explore new adventures. You give out so much information for free at Last Chance. You may as well get paid for it via guiding. My only advice to you is to follow your dreams............
Barry A. Ogawa

Pete Marino
03-23-2011, 04:27 PM
yo Matt..

Heres my take on it... In my opinion there are already enough guides on DVL as it is... In the last year or so there have been new guys that have come out to guide and they straight up under cut the guides that have been around for years... What I mean is that there are guys out there that have made their rates so low that it takes clients from the guides that are worth the better money.. then they are disappointed that the "so called guide" wasnt worth it anyway...
I completely understand that the times are tough and folks simply dont have the money they used to... Im constantly giving discounts to people because i know how it is...
In my opinion there are only a few guides who are worth a damn... not saying by ANY means that you wouldnt be worth it bro but if you do it then you should keep your rates where the better guides have their rates (you know who they are) and not down extremely low like some so called guides have theirs... Ive heard of some new "so called" guides charging under 200 bucks for trips... Thats crazy Im sorry.. Factor in cost of launch, gas for the truck and boat, oil, insurance, bond, baits, tackle, drinks etc etc and that would bring the profit down to well under 100 bucks for the day...thats rediculous yet some "so called" guides are doing it just for more time on the lake ...and that sucks to those of us who have been around for a while.. FACT IS, A GOOD GUIDE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY... and paying between 350-400 is worth it if the guide is good.

There was a time not too long ago that Megan and Dan were giving out cards to customers who asked of those of us guides that were good....so we'd also be losing out on that business... Just my opinion.

As i said, I have no problem with you becoming a guide, Just do it the right way bro...
Guiding is cool.. Its fun to see beginners catch fish but its a bit stressful at times because sometimes its hard to get the beginner anglers to get bit... Sometimes its easy sometimes its not... its all part of fishing... I say its stressful because I care if my clients do well.... And from what Ive heard from other people, some other "So called guides" who charge less could care less... which kinda sucks.. One thing is for certain though, you will not ever make everybody happy...no matter how hard you try some people just cant be pleased...

Pete

yolo
03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Factor in cost of launch, gas for the truck and boat, oil, insurance, bond, baits, tackle, drinks etc etc and that would bring the profit down to well under 100 bucks for the day...thats rediculous yet some "so called" guides are doing it just for more time on the lake ...and that sucks to those of us who have been around for a while.. FACT IS, A GOOD GUIDE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY... and paying between 350-400 is worth it if the guide is good.

That's what I was saying earlier. I was also going to mention maintenance on tow truck and boat/trailer.

troutguy26
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
That's what I was saying earlier. I was also going to mention maintenance on tow truck and boat/trailer.

u guys have to realize that the cost of launch, gas and lures is what u would be paying for anyways..whether ur taking a client out, or fishing by urself.. so i think adding in a few of those factors is a little much..maybe a few more lures in the box and a few more drinks in the cooler but other than that u would already be paying for it anyways.. so an outrageous price isnt fair to most of us lower budget people..just sayin... good luck with ur venture

TG26

Pete Marino
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
troutguy.. I completely understand where youre coming from.. But in regards to the "lures"... They really do get quite expensive... Just as an example.. Ive taken people to Perris to throw the ice jig on the deep bass and there have been times when guys have broken off 2,3, 4 and even FIVE :EyePop: Ice jigs :EyePop::EyePop: It gets expensive REAL quickly..hahaha Times like that I think $7.99, $7.99 $7.99...etc etc.. hahaha thats not every trip but it happens and If we are worming all day we can go thru 3-5 bags of worms that cost between 4-8 bucks .. so that does add up as well...
I have my clients throw which ever baits it takes to get bit regardless of the cost... Sure it would be nice to throw 1 crankbait every trip but that simply doesnt happen on our lakes.. To get the most bites on our lakes alot of the time, guys need to be worming in some way... I bought 50 Ice jigs in Nov and I was totally out of them by the end of January.. I look at it as the cost of doing business...
I wouldnt be on the water as much If I didnt guide so those costs wouldnt be there... All Im saying is that it does all add up...
For the record, I very often give guys great discounted trips because the economy has taken its toll on most of us and our families...I understand that and so I work it out...

Pete:Cool:

BVanDiest
03-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey Matt!

My wife and I would hire you any day on DVL!!! I say go for it!!!

DarkShadow
03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Do you also have to bonded and insured in order to be a guide?

troutguy26
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
troutguy.. I completely understand where youre coming from.. But in regards to the "lures"... They really do get quite expensive... Just as an example.. Ive taken people to Perris to throw the ice jig on the deep bass and there have been times when guys have broken off 2,3, 4 and even FIVE :EyePop: Ice jigs :EyePop::EyePop: It gets expensive REAL quickly..hahaha Times like that I think $7.99, $7.99 $7.99...etc etc.. hahaha thats not every trip but it happens and If we are worming all day we can go thru 3-5 bags of worms that cost between 4-8 bucks .. so that does add up as well...
I have my clients throw which ever baits it takes to get bit regardless of the cost... Sure it would be nice to throw 1 crankbait every trip but that simply doesnt happen on our lakes.. To get the most bites on our lakes alot of the time, guys need to be worming in some way... I bought 50 Ice jigs in Nov and I was totally out of them by the end of January.. I look at it as the cost of doing business...
I wouldnt be on the water as much If I didnt guide so those costs wouldnt be there... All Im saying is that it does all add up...
For the record, I very often give guys great discounted trips because the economy has taken its toll on most of us and our families...I understand that and so I work it out...

Pete:Cool:

completely agree with u on that.. im a trout guy, but i would sure like to have a shot at perris with u one day, sometime when i get money..lol i have heard of some good bass comin out of there..tight linez

a321eric
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I would love to get guided trip but for me its way toooo expensive. I am just a poor, 18 year old college student who loves to fish!!! haha, all I can afford is the small Bass Club im in. But maybe ill save up some money and get out with a guide this summer and learn some new stuff.

Matt_Magnone
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
great information pete. you brought up a lot of points ive been thinking about. ill take all the cirticism i can get good or bad. especially from a seasoned fisherman and guide. i enjoy this sport and devoted my life to it as long as i can remember. i used to beg and beg my dad to give me a chance to fish alone on the lake young. at 6 or 7 my dad used to launch me and let me have full run of a lake in his bass boat. "no big motor! only the trolling motor" he used to tell me haha. he's blown away looking back at what he used to let me do.

point being, i breathe and live everything fishing. i see so many people step into the shop that just dont know where to start. either too blown away with how much tackle is on the wall or just are too afraid to ask until i can calm their nerves. i just wanna give some of the knowledge ive gained and use it to help some of these guys that havent done it yet.

thanks guys and thanks a bunch pete for the icriticism.

doing it the right way is what i'll be trying to do.

i think were running out of your cards by the way. i forgot to ask you for them the other day when you were in.

Pete Marino
03-23-2011, 10:58 PM
troutguy...let me know when youre ready to get out there, I"ll give you a deal you cant refuse...and Ill do my best as always to help you have an Epic day.

Matt, bro dont take my thoughts as criticism, Im just pointing out things that some other guides have done that made some of us other guides look bad and/or hurt our business. Do you know that there is a "guide" out there that actually has the nerve to have on his website that a 15-20% tip is recommended. That is the most arrogant getto thing that Ive ever read. :Shocked: Tipping should come for a job well done and not come because its asked for... :Confused: Things like that bother the hell out of me... and yes he's one of the newer so called "guides" with no credentials, no resume, basically no clue but yet claims he does for a cheaper rate... lame hahaha
Use my opinion as a heads up.. and do the right thing.. youll do fine!
If your dream is to be a guide, Welcome to the game!! You know the players from the wannabes... Youre definetly a player which makes us allies.. :Wink:
If you get licensed and bonded and if I cant accomodate a clients request for a certain day, youll be one of the first guys Ill call to help give my clients a great day on the lake. Thats how I roll... And hopefully the same can be said on your end..

talk to you soon... Ill get those cards to the shop friday...

Pete :Cool:

DodgersFan
03-23-2011, 11:02 PM
too much for a day of freshwater fishing. granted you will gain tons of knowledge but i just think that i've taken 2 1/2 dayers for the price of some of these guides. i just can't pull the trigger for a single day of lake fishing, although i do love DVL and have a blast every time i get there.

troutguy26
03-23-2011, 11:06 PM
troutguy...let me knowm when youre ready to get out there, I"ll give you a deal you cant refuse...and Ill do my best as always to help you have an Epic day.

Matt, bro dont take my thoughts as criticism, Im just pointing out things that some other guides have done that made some of us other guides look bad and/or hurt our business.
If your dream is to be a guide, Welcome to the game!! You know the players from the wannabes... Youre definetly a player which makes us allies.. :Wink:
If you get licensed and bonded and if I cant accomodate a clients request for a certain day, youll be one of the first guys Ill call to help give my clients a great day on the lake. Thats how I roll... And hopefully the same can be said on your end..

talk to you soon... Ill get those cards to the shop friday...

Pete :Cool:

sounds good to me man..ill be getting drafted for ball here shortly so after that i will have some money lol...until then, im on my own ;)

backtobasics
03-24-2011, 12:35 AM
heres the deal cost is always a question but fact is if you can get some folks on some serious fishing and they leave with smiles on there face is the key people want to catch fish so they drift to the better angler if there mad well then they should step up there game not sit and cry about it its not a team sport anyone that says that is full of it its only a team sport when you and you closest friends enter a contest otherwise may the best man win if there mad at there size fish i will give them my monster after the countless hours and money and time i put into fishing and they sure the heck arent out there holding my hand so who gives a crap what they thing i can say for certain your clients wont care lol

brent233
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
The advice you have given me in store has helped as well as your post here. On your days off you may want to take people out on test runs to see if guiding is the way you want to go since it will be greatly different than going out with the friends. Best of luck it's always good to see a young person start a business

kewlwhip
03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey Matt-

I say do it- Follow your dreams like some have told you, and don't let anyone tell you other...Its exactly what I did and I am never looking back. I was in your shoes awhile ago, and now things have panned out better than I had expected......You put your time on the water...and skills will pay for themselves in time. Do IT right and get all the needed forms to be a legitimate guide, and your fishing will do the talking. See ya on the water or tackle dude!

-remember on the other thread where i stated "next-generation coming" we are some of that next generation of guides.

GOOD LUCK!!

El Capo
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
I wish you and Kewly both the best of luck. Nothing is better than earning a living doing what you love.

Matt_Magnone
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
thanks guys for the feedback.

pete, i guess criticism was the bad word to use. i meant i value your advice and appreciate you giving a little insight on the matter. seeya this week.

sgtskunk
03-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I've never met you and have never had a guided trip. I have looked into trips to DVL a few times, the only thing holding me back is the price. I dont blame the guides if I cant afford it they should'nt have to meet me in the middle. If I was getting a tattoo I wouldnt shop of the best price I would shop for the best art work. I think you should go for it sounds like you have a huge backing. As far as Pete was talking about with the "so called guides" I say let your work ethic and FISHING do the talking make your own rules. A Guides job is to assist/mentor the client catch fish I am yet to see a guarantee you will catch fish on a guides site. I look forward to your guide link (I check them out for the Fish Porn) and remember me as the Army guy with the advice worth a $20 discount on his 1st trip. lol, GOOD LUCK! Rick.

dixoncider
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
What is the difference between a "guide" and a "masters license" I am not sure how you can take passengers for hire without and license? I am not passing any judgment just a question? This guide thing is not a 100 ton masters license but you can take passengers on your own un-inspected vessel? Is it some sort of "6pack" type of deal...again just curious...sounds like it could be a good tax write off...
IS this it
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg992.pdf

Palo
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Matt-

I believe the general consensus is you should do it. I counted 6-8 potential clients or folks that would hire you today. So it seems that you’re already in demand and you have not opened your doors for business or named a price. Any small business owner would kill to be in your shoes right now, buddy. I believe you’re on your way. So i think your post to "feel the waters" hit its mark and showed you what you needed to see and hear from all parties.

You've put your time in the industry, on the water and helping people catch fish in general that you will do fine. I believe you’re in a unique position to help launch your business and you should leverage those resources to grow your business. IMO, you should have lower prices period! Regardless of what other in the industry might have to say. Bro, your general over head is lower than those other folks (guides) and that also plays into your competitive advantage. That’s simple economics! The reality is that none of my clients, other small to medium size business owners, will tell you they want competition on their block! Most fear competition and those that don’t are confident in their proven business model. Competition is the American way!

So go get yours! Give people fair prices, great customer service and get them on fish like you know how. You’ve help me countless time buddy so let me know if I can pay it back and help you in any way. FYI- I have clients that build websites, have e-marketing businesses, and other services to help build your business or point you in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Sublime-Steve
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Pete -- I bought 50 Ice jigs in Nov and I was totally out of them by the end of January.. I look at it as the cost of doing business... DAMN DUDE! 50!! is that y i cant find them anywhere? lol

AbsolutePig
03-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I have an idea.......why don't you take people out for free and do your talking in the tournaments?? That's what I'm going to do. Anyone who wants to roll with me can fish with with me for free! Chip in for some gas and we are set. I'll win all my money on the circuit. If you are lucky enough to pick up sponsors, they give you tackle and gear for free anyway..........so I don't by the tackle is expensive excuse. We all know how much tackle is. The last few guide trips I've been on I take my own gear anyway. I love fishing, always have, and always will. I'll gladly share my knowledge with anyone.

2 days before a big tourney when I'm prefishing I might forget a few things, but other then that........share you knowledge. Not to say you haven't been of course. I'm in the market for a boat........any suggestions? When I pick the boat up........standby!

Big Ed
03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Matt you are one heck of nice young man and an absolute pleasure to be around!

You will do fine, I encourage you to follow your heart and go for it. You will be critisized by very few, so dont let that small percentage effect your decision. The majority of anglers will welcome you whole heartedly because you have always been concerned about helping anglers improve their skills and have fun doing it. If you dont lose sight of that concept you will be not only successful but it will be rewarding in ways that money cant buy!

Go for it; Big Ed!

JigStop
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think it's all about being cheap. I have a buddy who has a 40,000 truck and an old 25" TV he forces his charming wife and daughter watch so he can afford these $25-35 dollar swim baits that he never uses because he is a baiter or (worse yet) troller. Plus I think that more competition will make the prices come down.