PDA

View Full Version : whats the best fins out there to buy

must44
03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I lost one of my fins at the SARL tournament during the float tube race. They were the turbo thrust from bass pro and I found out they don't float. So now I'am looking to buy some new fins. Any suggestions guys?

snslarison
03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
That sucks man. I think I saw you kicking by me with one fin on later in the day.

From what I've heard the Hot Spots are the best ones.

Poxy Boggards
03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Force Fins hands down. Hot spots are also very good.

loknload247
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I have Hot spots! and I love them.

ghost2uu
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Force Fins hands down. There is a reason the navy seals use them. Designed to give thrust on the up and down kick.

Nessie Hunter
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I would disagree (in a friendly way).....

You are not a Navy Seal..

Tubing has a lot do do with comfort.. Not only are the Hot Spots as fast as Force Fins, but soft & comfy all day long!!
And they float!!!! this also gives them a bouncy that feels like they are not even there!!

My vote - Hands Down.. Hot Spots !!!

fishtales
03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry about your fin. I was the gal in the race and I think you were right in front of me when it happened. Bummer!

I've had Force Fins and found them to be very uncomfortable. BTW, Force Fins don't float either. Very expensive if you lose one. I just bought a pair of Hot Spots and love them. However, they're over $$$80 bucks with tax.

If you're interested, I have a pair of dive fins but never used them. They are Mares Plana-Advanti. I made a leash for them (very inexpensive to make) as they do not float. There are a lot of float tubers that swear by these fins.

I've got them listed on the Fishingnetwork for-sale board with picture and in Craigslist. Price: $30

FT

snslarison
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey fishtales! I was the guy you talked to at SARL with the ODC 420 tube like yours. As a matter of fact I think we talked about fins while we were out there.

must44, I have the Mares Plana-Advanti fins and they seem to work ok for me. Although I dont have experience with any other ones.

the killa fish taco
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I have a brand new pair of turbo thrust for $40.

Socal Bassman
03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Wish I could find the turbo thrust fins I was keeping as a spare. If I happen to find them and you are close to Riverside, I'll let you have them. Anyway, as for fins, I'm using a pair of Mares Plana Avanti X3 dive fins and love them because they have plenty of thrust. I've heard quite a lot about Force Fins, but they are expensive. A lot of people here also rave about Hot Spots. I know Bassguy uses them and he seems to move quite effortlessly. Maybe he'll chime in and give you more info.

must44
03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you all for your help. I just finish getting off the phone with Ron the guy that won the float tube show-off and also won the hot spot fins. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow morning for $50. Now I can't wait to go fishing on Friday at Corona Lake.

Cambo1146
03-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Go to flipfins.com they have some nifty float tube fins that fold up when your not in the water. Allowing you to walk forward with ease. They are a bit pricey but consider it a great investment.

fishtales
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi sns,

Yes, I think we were talking about fins. I'm not sure if you were the guy that said he just ordered a pair of fin savers?

Where do you tube besides SARL?

A word to the wise, you can buy small diameter bungie cord at Sport Chalet to make your own fin savers. I used to have a pair that I bought to use with Force Fins but I didn't like to velcro that can come loose when you least expect it.

FT

Bebop
03-24-2011, 05:47 AM
You will love the hotspots. I have had three different pairs and by far hotspots are comfortable, great on force and they float. Enjoy float tubing I do...

snslarison
03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi sns,

Yes, I think we were talking about fins. I'm not sure if you were the guy that said he just ordered a pair of fin savers?

Where do you tube besides SARL?

A word to the wise, you can buy small diameter bungie cord at Sport Chalet to make your own fin savers. I used to have a pair that I bought to use with Force Fins but I didn't like to velcro that can come loose when you least expect it.

FT

Yep thats me. I am just getting started with tubing but I plan to try wherever I can. Thinking of going to Irvine or Corona this Saturday.

TroutOnly
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
FORCE FINS ,I TRIED THREE DIFFERENT KINDS FROM FRIENDS THEY MOVED ME AND MY FAT-CAT TUBE AROUND REAL NICE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

RiverWalker
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello Everyone. I figured I should chime in and add my 2 cents since I currently own a pair of Hot Spots and have previously owned a pair of Force Fins. The bottom line is....You can't go wrong with either! They're both excellent fins for tubing! There are pros and cons to both...

HOT SPOTS :
* Much cheaper than a brand new pair of force fins
* Very comfortable because of the softer material
* Easy on the knees
* Excellent propulsion
* Advertised that they Float (Even though mine doesn't!) I don't care what anyone says. Maybe my pair is defective or something
* Harder to walk with when getting in and out of your tube
* I haven't actually weighed the two kinds but my hot spots seem a lot heavier out of the water

FORCE FINS:
* About twice the price of a pair of Hot Spots
* Comfortable
* Easy on the knees
* Excellent propulsion on both the downward and upward kicks (Probably a little better than the Hotspots)
* Doesn't Float
* Easier to walk with when getting in and out of your tube
* Looks cool and unique=)

fishtales
03-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi Riverwalker,

Thanks for letting us know the Hot Spots don't float. I'm going to test mine out in a pool. That's important to know.

FT

RiverWalker
03-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey fishtales,

I remember a while back there was a discussion about whether or not the hot spots float or not. Some people swore that they did. Maybe theirs did but mine sure don't. I also have a buddy who also owns a pair too and his doesn't float either. Either way. They're really good fins for tubing.

Randy

Hi Riverwalker,

Thanks for letting us know the Hot Spots don't float. I'm going to test mine out in a pool. That's important to know.

FT

fishtales
03-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I sure wouldn't be happy if one came off and went to the bottom.

FT

Kelster
04-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Where can you get Hot Spot fins? Thanks

RiverWalker
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey Kelster,

Many of the Turners in OC carry them. I got mine at the Fountain Valley location. You should call ahead of time just in case because not all of locations carry them. I tried the Turners in Torrance and Signal Hill before finally finding them in fountain Valley. I heard that the guy who produces them lives in the Riverside or OC area so he supplies to the locations close to him. I could be wrong though. Good luck!

Randy

Where can you get Hot Spot fins? Thanks

Kevthecatfishstudent
04-19-2011, 05:20 PM
In my opinion, Hot Spot fins aren't omfortable at all! I've been float tubing for awhile now and have been using these fins for some time. I found that they are hard on the toes and I often get cramps in my feet. I also have a pair of Hot Spots that don't sink. I lost one in Newport bay and was able to get it back with swift hands and shallow waters. Lol I have to admit that I have never tried any other fins so... What I will say is that the hot spots do have good thrust.

Poxy Boggards
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I've used and owned both hotspots and forcefins. Forcefins win the battle when it comes to comfort for me. I can have them on all day, kick nearly the whole time, and my joints don't kill me at the end of the day. The same is not true for the hotspots. The hotspots do have excellent propulsion, but they require twice the effort that force fins require. If you want a work out when your tubing, then by all means buy the hotspots ;)

The first time I used my forcefins I remeber thinking, it's just like walking backwards, barely any effort involved...

FORCE FINS WINNER HANDS DOWN...

stocker
05-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Caddis---yeah right! I'm sure hotspots and force fins are both way better than what I use but my wallet isn't fat enough for them. I found mine-u.s. divers snorkel fins at a thrift store sized 10-14 and the work just fine for me.

basssturd
05-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Thats what im talking about

TheAsianGuy
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Amen! Used my US Diver without any problem. I'm an avid snorkler too..Why kill your wallet when something is just as good out there, such as the good pair of $60 US Diver's split fins.

fishmounter
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
All these quality fins you guys are talking about, are they over the boot fins? I have stocking foot waders and I wear wading boots over them. Can I get Hotspots or Force fins to wear with these boots? When you take off your fins to walk on shore, you have to have something on your feet to keep from getting holes in your waders.

TheAsianGuy
05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I have Hodgman neoprene wader that also has the wader stocking. I simply slip on a pair of $9 Walmart size 11 sandals, waltz to the edge of the water, slide my sandals onto my tube using a quick release lash strip, and voila. Slip the Diver's fins on over the wader stocking, and off I go. No hole in the sole of the wader.

Kelster
05-26-2011, 11:44 AM
All these quality fins you guys are talking about, are they over the boot fins? I have stocking foot waders and I wear wading boots over them. Can I get Hotspots or Force fins to wear with these boots? When you take off your fins to walk on shore, you have to have something on your feet to keep from getting holes in your waders.

I have Hodgman neoprene wader that also has the wader stocking, Force Fins ($59 @ Sports Chalet) and I bought some World Wide Sportsman® Flats Boots for Men from BSP to protect the waders.The fins are adjustable and fit over the boots. Simple sandals would work also to protect your waders.