PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone March 21

Cartman
03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
I guess City Park Lakes is the place for Puddingstone posts, but it's technically a county park.

Anyway, decided to try out the new white rooster tail I bought at Dicks around the piers to see if crappie would take it. Got there a little after 4:00 with my boots and rain clothes. It rained. The lake was really beautiful all afternoon. The water looked black and the waves made it feel like the ocean. The lake is reallllly deep now. I wonder if they will drain it down some. I have no other word than "magnificent" to describe the sunset with those huge clouds. Beautiful day. Not a bite.

After sunset I decided to hang around til closing. I drove over to the inlet and tried digging some worms using my head light, but nathan shakin. So I rigged tossed a line out into the path of the current using that stinky catfish bait that comes in a blue and white bag. I'[m gonna need more of that, and I don't want to drive to Bass Pro to get it. Got a bite almost instantly but missed the hook. Snagged a rock on an aborted cast (something wrong with the line coming off the reel. I think I need to change out the line. Too much memory.) Finally got back in the water even after the Sheriff guy came around saying the lake was closing blah blah blah. Almost right away I got a gentle nibble. I just let it go on nibbling since I was using a circle hook. Finally a tug and I had line running out. Nice fight catfish.

I got him to the side which is now very steep with the high water, but I had forgotten my net and tried to get to him by pulling on the leader. Leader broke and fish headed back into the lake. No way! I jumped right in that lake after that fish, rod going in with me. Got my hands around him/her and held it down til it was still then tossed it up on the shore. Weighed in at 7.33 lbs. Not big, but I wasn't letting that sucker get away, not after being skunked at that lake the last three times I had been there. My rain suit and boots kept my dry, but I have a big knot on my shin just below my knee. Hurts a little, but that's fine. Good reminder of a fun catch.

I added pictures. One pic may be a little gross. This fish had been hanging out where the water comes into Puddingstone. He had about a pound or more of worms in him. I couldn't resist sharing this. Brings new definition to the word "hog."

keepemlo
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Great report I really didn't know ther were crappie there ,you jumped in?sweet man now your a real fisherman
I went to castaic for crappie no takers one bass ,anyway good luck to you

Ron D
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Good report cartman , d*** thats a lot of worms!

Cartman
03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Ron. I didn't know there were that many worms in the universe.

LunkerBill
03-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Good job on not letting it get away. That sucker was on a chew.

viking172
03-22-2011, 11:46 PM
awesome post, thats crazy that fatty was that full of worms. Thanks for the report.