PDA

View Full Version : DVL trout and techniques???

jpmarko
03-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the area and to the forum. Just moved here from Michigan about 6 months ago, where I used to go out all the time for salmon, steelhead, or rainbow trout. Now I'm here in SoCal for school and miss the fishing back home like crazy. I can probably get away from school about once a month to go fishing. Anyway, I've looked into Diamond Valley Lake (since Corona is $22 for admisison). Basically my questions revolve around the trout at DVL. Are there trout there this time of year that can be fished? Do you need a boat or can you fish from shore? Any specific techniques I should focus on?

I'm just worried that I'll make a trip when there aren't even any trout out there being caught or that I'll waste my time casting from shore when they're all far out and deep. Also, I know people use different techniques out here than they do back at home. Back there, NOBODY ever uses powerbait because it simply does not work in southwest Michigan. Here, it's all everyone seems to talk about lol. Anyway, I'd appreciate ANY help and would be more than happy to post a detailed report of wherever I go and how I got them when I finally make the trip out. Just want to get the basics down before I head out.

DarkShadow
03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
jpmarko,

Michigan and SoCal...what a change of pace.

DVL gets stocked often. Your best bet to get fish from shore is to visit the lake after these stockings. I haven't been on the shore at DVL in a while, but im sure with the water level that has risen, you'll be faced with lots of shrubbery. You can fish artificials for these trout, using small spoons, spinners, worms, etc. I've had these stockers eat Senkos, so getting them to go shouldn't prove to be too difficult.

You can fish PowerBait, but then that stuff'll get on your hands. ;-)

carpanglerdude
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
The last few times I have fished from the shore, I saw quite a few stocked trout swimming within easy casting distance. Granted, the water is clear and you'll have to be careful not to spook 'em, but they are there...

TrouTracker
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
To JPM- For stocked trout, you'll be surprised that fishing from the shore is actually really good. DVL will get stocked on the 31st with 2000 lbs of Mt. Lassen trout. They typically will hug the shore until they get used to their new surroundings. Mini jigs and nightcrawlers work fine, but watch that you've got light line because the water is very clear. Ask the DV Marina staff where they are the day that you are there. They are a great resource. Every once in a while, some really large holdovers intermix with the stockers. Recently, a 12.99 lb stocker was caught just outside the marina by a shore angler. You'll have a blast, but keep in mind that at DVL you're going to have to put in your homework. Good luck.
Barry A. Ogawa

Kelster
03-22-2011, 10:39 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?54978-Anglers-lake-in-Hemet-is-open!
This lake is a little closer and looks like someone else caught a few trout there Friday 3/18/11.
Also you might check out Lake Hemet in Idylwild.
http://fishingnetwork.net/index.php?pageid=Lake-Hemet