PDA

View Full Version : Place to fish closeby??

jpmarko
03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I'm also new to SoCal. I'm from Michigan so I've done a lot of salmon and steelhead (and some rainbow trout fishing) on the Lake Michigan side of the state. Now I'm in the Redlands/Loma Linda area and in school full time. Needless to say, I'm missing the heck out of fishing and would love it if I could find one or two places close to home to get some trout. I can probably only get away from school once a month or so to go fishing, so I'd like to make each trip count. I've heard of Diamond Valley Lake, Corona, but Diamond Valley is like an hour away and Corona is $22 just for admission. Anybody know of closer options where I could target trout? Like I said, I'm in the Redlands/Loma Linda area.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-22-2011, 05:10 AM
perris is very close to you..you didnt mention if you know how to bass fish,basic plastic worm setups, for small mouth methods will work for perris bass.also great pan fish ,and some trout.just google, and you will see a highway(i want to say timito cyn rd.) right over the hills to the lake from your location.remember most of us on the site ,always practice catch ,and release on any bass!!!welcome ,and good luck....mike the pmb....

MexicanPistachio
03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
you have the sb regional parks (cucamonga, glen helen, yucaipa) for 1 more week of trout fishing, then its the mountains for summer trout. gregory is about 40-45 min and is free. also jenks lake/santa ana river is a little less than an hour away.

Sublime-Steve
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey dude right by you in redlands is a place called ford park.. its free to fish just gotta have ur license.. its got large mouth and tiny gills.. C&R only but its close.. and free i usually get a couple everytime i go

fish-o-haulic
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I'm also new to SoCal. I'm from Michigan so I've done a lot of salmon and steelhead (and some rainbow trout fishing) on the Lake Michigan side of the state. Now I'm in the Redlands/Loma Linda area and in school full time. Needless to say, I'm missing the heck out of fishing and would love it if I could find one or two places close to home to get some trout. I can probably only get away from school once a month or so to go fishing, so I'd like to make each trip count. I've heard of Diamond Valley Lake, Corona, but Diamond Valley is like an hour away and Corona is $22 just for admission. Anybody know of closer options where I could target trout? Like I said, I'm in the Redlands/Loma Linda area.

by you On google maps I saw lake perris, and some place called lake matthews, but ive never heard of it so i dont know if its fishable. But i have heard of lake perris. there should also be some city park lakes too.

carpanglerdude
03-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey! Fairmount park, seccombe park, and Yucaipa regional are all within 15-20 minutes from your location. Plus, anglers lake is nearby too. All receive trout stocks. Also, for a more "wild" trout fishing experience, try out the Santa Ana river up in the San bernardino mountains nearby. Finally , there's lake perris, big bear lake, and silverwood, all with healthy trout populations and probably more similar to the fishing you did back home. Feel free to pm me, I fish most of those spots and would be happy to help out.

One more thing- I think someone else already mentioned this, but there is slot more bass fishing here than trout action.

Marky
03-22-2011, 03:57 PM
You're not that far from Big Bear.

fish-o-haulic
03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey! Fairmount park, seccombe park, and Yucaipa regional are all within 15-20 minutes from your location. Plus, anglers lake is nearby too. All receive trout stocks. Also, for a more "wild" trout fishing experience, try out the Santa Ana river up in the San bernardino mountains nearby. Finally , there's lake perris, big bear lake, and silverwood, all with healthy trout populations and probably more similar to the fishing you did back home. Feel free to pm me, I fish most of those spots and would be happy to help out.

One more thing- I think someone else already mentioned this, but there is slot more bass fishing here than trout action.

Carp angler dude is right. There a heck of alot more bass fishing here than trout fishing. so if you dont know much about bass angling or have never done it at all your probably gonna want to learn soon. Most of the trout are hatchery so they might not fight as good as they did back home, but i dont know the area your from so i cant say for sure. And if you ever get the notion for the aqueduct there alot of people here that can help with that, including myself.

DockRat
03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Remember most of us on the site ,always practice catch ,and release on any bass!!! ....

Striped Bass ?

DockRat
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey dude right by you in redlands is a place called ford park.. its free to fish just gotta have ur license.. its got large mouth and tiny gills.. C&R only but its close.. and free i usually get a couple everytime i go

Ford Park: a 27-acre (110,000 m2) park with two ponds for fishing, lighted tennis courts, picnic and playground facilities. (Redlands Boulevard and Ford Street)

jpmarko
03-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, I've done some bass fishing and have always practiced catch and release on them, but where my passion really lies is with trout. I've heard of the Santa Ana River and would love to go, but I'm kind of unclear as to where it is and what kind of gear I should be taking. Lake Gregory sounds interesting too. Really close.

@Fish-O-Haulic--People fish in the aqueduct? It that clean water? I thought that was sewage lol. Well, if it is clean, how can I learn more about that and where to go?

fish-o-haulic
03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, I've done some bass fishing and have always practiced catch and release on them, but where my passion really lies is with trout. I've heard of the Santa Ana River and would love to go, but I'm kind of unclear as to where it is and what kind of gear I should be taking. Lake Gregory sounds interesting too. Really close.

@Fish-O-Haulic--People fish in the aqueduct? It that clean water? I thought that was sewage lol. Well, if it is clean, how can I learn more about that and where to go?

its Californias water supply system it runs from northern california to southern california. lots of people fish it and lots of people have success when the conditions are just right. but if everything isnt perfect you might find yourself getting skunked alot. Even on here alot people who come back succeseful only catch a few fish, but there nice sized. if you wana fish the duct you must bring medium heavy gear with medium action reels. and anywhere from 12-20 lb test line.I can go more in depth just pm me and if you dont know how Ill just make a new thread.