PDA

View Full Version : Need trout tubing tips

snslarison
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Ok guys, so I took my new tube out for the event at SARL and found out that tubing kicks butt, however I also found that I don't know what the heck I'm doing out there fishing-wise lol.

I need some tips for trout from the tube. Am I supposed to slow troll with everything? Can I do that with power bait and all? What other methods are there for me utilize? I love kicking around in the tube but Id like to add some fish to the mix lol. This weekend I went with mainly the power mouse and slow trolled pretty much all day for nada.

Tips will be appreciated guys.

Thanks,

Scott

See Chris Fish
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I do anything/everything to get a fish on.
Drift fish with a crawler, powermouse, powerbait.
Slow troll any lure or powermouse or powerbait.
Fast troll same items as above.

If it isn't working, change out colors, size, etc.

snslarison
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Ok thats pretty much what I thought. When you drift fish the crawler is that inflated w/ a small wieght or not inflated w/ no wieght?

Poxy Boggards
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Here is the tip that you should listen to, Tube Corona, not SARL. You'll do just fine...LOL

snslarison
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Haha Proxy. You're not the first one I've heard that from. Why is that?

Poxy Boggards
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I was out at the tourney and got the skunk and have plenty of tubing experience.

SARL is just to darn deep, and those stockers are raised in 6 to 8 feet of water, so where do you think they are going to feel comfortable hanging out? In the Shallows. Corona is a much more shallow lake all around, so the fish spread out a bit better. There is also no shore fishing access for atleast 1/2 of Corona lake, so you can get right up close to shore to fish at Corona in your tube.

snslarison
03-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Hmm...I was thinking about going out to float tube Irvine on Saturday, but maybe I should go to Corona.

Poxy Boggards
03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
With all of the rain, fishing is not going to be great anywhere this weekend IMO. Corona is probably going to be pretty murky again. Irvine is a huge lake, so you can be in for a long day of not catching if the fish are not in the boat dock/Woodys cove area. Good luck with whatever you decide. If you go out to Corona, read over Sapdawgs tutorials. He has that lake wired, and has shared all of the info on spots/techniques that you need to know.

snslarison
03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Ok I will give it shot somewhere...

the killa fish taco
03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
you also might wanna hit up laguna niguel lake. shallow lake + lots of fish stocked = GOOD TIMES!

snslarison
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah I've heard some good things about that one too. So many lakes, so little time. Haha!

loknload247
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Laguna is nice, corona much better to float than SARL thats for sure but i am also interested to know if you guys weigh your crawler down with a split shot and float it off the bottom or just drift it with no weight? also do you do the same with the power mouse and power bait? I have had luck both ways. I have a fishing buddy 120 I usually try to find the fish and drag thru them at the required depth. But I am interested what everyone else does. I also throw lots and lots of mini jiggs on the tube too, thats what produces the most for me (when they want to bite) hahahah. Tight Lines!!

tailsup1
03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Scott,
You have lots of good advice on this thread. I usually like to drag a trout worm (sometimes as a p/m, sometimes just the worm, sometimes drop shot, sometimes carolina) and leave that rod in the rod holder. With my other hand I'll throw a mini jig or some kind of lure. Once I can see a pattern then I'll adjust accordingly. Also, talk to others to see what is working or NOT for that particular day. Conditions and the fishes tendencies change so don't be afraid to switch things up.

Personally, I think Laguna Niguel (during the week) is one of the best places to learn float tubing. It's relatively small and wind protected. As far as SARL vs. Corona...IMO Corona for sure due to the reasons previously stated.

Weights vs. no weights? Usual rule of thumb is you want your bait to be in the "strike zone" as long as possible. I like to use as light of a weight as possible. Sometimes if I'm gonna work an area real slowly w/ crawlers I'll use no weights. If I'm going from one area to another and fishing along the way I'll put on a split shot to keep it in the zone.

You'll get 'em!

snslarison
03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow thanks for the awesome info. I will give it my best shot.