PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Socal

pike guy
03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey. im going for leopard and bonnethead sharks soon from the shore, and was wondering should i fish from hermosa or from seal beach... Thanks

oldmaninsea
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Pike:

I grew up in Manhattan Beach and fished a lot in HB, but it's been all of 25 yrs. ago, so my knowledge of the South Bay is no good any more ... However, Seal Beach has plenty of shovelnose and Leopards. As far as the Bonnets, not sure? Huntington Harbour is FULL of Smoothhound sharks ... Either way, GOOD LUCK!

Tom
over and out

smokehound
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Bonnetheads aren't very common, you see them caught from time-to-time, at various piers, but they are never abundant in socal. They require warm water, and prefer the gulf and atlantic coast over ours.

You will only find them here during summer, in most cases.

using live bait is always a plus. fresh preggo surfperch also makes a great Leopard shark bait.

because of their varied diet, it's simple-- use strong-smelling baits like fresh california mussels, or really bloody bait, like some fresh mackerel straight from the pier, still kicking.

DockRat
03-21-2011, 05:13 AM
-- use strong-smelling baits like fresh california mussels, or really bloody bait, like some fresh mackerel straight from the pier, still kicking.

X2 We have some guys that fish out front for Leopards and they always use fresh caught Mac fillets and do good. These guys gaff them and make Ceviche.

On Terminal Island next to Sea Launch you can see the Leopards cruise around next to the rocks. No fishing allowed but is a public road if someone wants to go for a nice scenic cruise.

Take Navy way toward Maersk or Pier 400, turn left at the 1 st light. Cross the train tracks then it is over 3 miles to the end, make the U turn at the very end of the tracks,
Pass Sea Launch and head in the San Pedro direction. Ther is a couple pull over spots but don't try fishing or you will get busted.

DR