PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Park, Machado Lake Restoration Plans

Surfer
03-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I found this powerpoint online. It's pretty interesting. It provides a timeline as well as species of fish that will be stocked for recreational fishing, a history of the lake, and structure for the lake as well as other info.
http://www.lapropo.org/sitefiles/Machado/MASTER12109CommunityMe-9992.pdf

Surfer
03-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Here's another interesting thread about the Lake that Bman posted a while back: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2507

bman90278
03-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Surfer, Every time I read about the future of Harbor lake, it seems to good to be true. I wonder if they are staying on track on their timeline??

Brian

reptile dude007
03-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I live about 5 blocks away from this lake. I have been hitting it really hard lately (Every day after school for about 3 months), for a couple foul hooked carp.

Surfer
03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I live about 5 blocks away from this lake. I have been hitting it really hard lately (Every day after school for about 3 months), for a couple foul hooked carp.

Have you seen any signs of bass?

dfisher
03-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Even if they redid harbor lake it would turn into a **** hole real quick. That neighborhood is pretty garbage.

reptile dude007
03-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Have you seen any signs of bass?
Seen a couple in the buckets, but they wern't even one pound.

Even if they redid harbor lake it would turn into a **** hole real quick. That neighborhood is pretty garbage.
I have to disagree on this one, I have lived here my entire life and in the recent years it has gotten much better.

HA420
03-26-2011, 01:31 PM
i live literally across the street from here, from my understanding (based on talking with the guy in charge of the park when i had community service their) was that their isnt really much in their, few warriors that can make it thru all the water snakes and pollution, besides that most of the guys are their to just get high and use fishing as a cover....and as far as keeping pace i ono, but i havent seen them doing anything to the waters, only a new playground so far........but if they got it cleaned up could be quite a nice spot especially across pch and between pch and lomita blvd that could make sum good habitat

HA420
03-26-2011, 01:53 PM
sorry for the double post but sum reason cant edit, but just notice on the link u gave it also says they wont be starting main lake construction(dredging and w/e else their doing) till this summer, ill be keeping my eyes peeled.....cant wait to be able to walk across the street and fish it.......would be a nice lake except all the bums living in the back swamps and the dope heads and not to mention the male on male action that goes down in the back of the park....

dfisher
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
sorry for the double post but sum reason cant edit, but just notice on the link u gave it also says they wont be starting main lake construction(dredging and w/e else their doing) till this summer, ill be keeping my eyes peeled.....cant wait to be able to walk across the street and fish it.......would be a nice lake except all the bums living in the back swamps and the dope heads and not to mention the male on male action that goes down in the back of the park....

please keep us posted in the summer. thanks!

reptile dude007
03-27-2011, 12:58 AM

The back side is not bad at all as long as you stay on the trail, in fact it beautiful. There is even a pond and stream back there. (I have seen small bluegill in both)
Its just about a 30 min to 45 min hike) But the pond is very hard to get to and you would need like a float tube to get to it.

HA420
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
dont get me wrong, its a nice place......just used to be place for gay men to "meet" on those back trail(along anahiem st) they even got a camp ground if u go back far enough....last time i was back their saw the left overs of someone stripping copper wiring(few hundred feet). Ya their gills and couple other species just no bass or trout :(

Surfer
03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
I have been told by a few sketchy sources that there are still bass in there. However, a good friend who is a reliable source and a decent fisherman gave the lake a try today. All he said he saw was a bunch of mosquitofish and snakes in the water. He also mentioned that there was one guy fishing for bluegills with a long pole possible a cane pole. Bluegill in the lake, sure, but I'm not sure if the bass survived all the pollutants, contaminants and diseases that have found their way inside the lake. But who knows? Bass are very hardy fish. There may be a few survivors.

HA420
03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
lol, not long ago i was at alondra park getting skunked and some guy came over claiming that he just released 5 spotted bass into alondra that he had caught over at machado.....he tried to tell me there were tons over their. Anyone now if their ever has been bass in that lake?

HA420
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
who knows....maybe theirs some hogs in their that fattened up from all dead bodies being dumped in their stories

Jimmy310
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Bluegill and catfish are there in the lake. My niece caught a nice 5 lbs catfish there. Here first time fishing.
I remember when you go towards the Anaheim side along the cement path towards the college there is some big trees. That is the best spot for catching fish.
I really hope they get started on the lake soon.

Surfer
04-02-2011, 02:39 AM
lol, not long ago i was at alondra park getting skunked and some guy came over claiming that he just released 5 spotted bass into alondra that he had caught over at machado.....he tried to tell me there were tons over their. Anyone now if their ever has been bass in that lake?

You can't believe what the crackheads at Alondra tell you.

bman90278
04-02-2011, 04:58 AM
You can't believe what the crackheads at Alondra tell you.

They have crackheads now? LOL

HA420
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM
its a la country park, what you expect? lol, but yes i definatly do not believe 90% of the stuff i hear at alondra, in fact last time i was their some guy basically rousted me for using a popper cause it wasnt the "right time" for it, yet 20 min later hes working the same spot i was with a spook.....

DockRat
04-03-2011, 06:57 AM
I can't believe you guys waste time at Harbor Park.

1 It is very polluted
2 Known for being a place for gays to hook up.
3 Homeless camps and tweekers around.
4 Fishing sucks big time.
5 It is also a known gang bbq hangout,
Was working on my boat at my buddies condo garage across the street when gunfire broke out on a sunday. He saw it go down and called 911
Women, Children and Families running for there life. One lady was shot in the ankle. 40 + rounds went off.

I could go on.
Go surf fishing, tons of fish, clean and safe, babes in bikinis.
I went by Alondra the other day. 50 guys fishing and nobody catching nothing.

I can never understand the excitement with these LAME fishing holes.
I grew up in the 60's on Ardath ave across from the Rodium.
It was ok as a kid to hang out but adults fishing hours and hours for maybe a small bass and usually a skunk ? Why ?
DR

fish-o-haulic
04-03-2011, 11:55 AM

1 It is very polluted
Was working on my boat at my buddies condo garage across the street when gunfire broke out on a sunday. He saw it go down and called 911
Women, Children and Families running for there life. One lady was shot in the ankle. 40 + rounds went off.

I could go on.

It was ok as a kid to hang out but adults fishing hours and hours for maybe a small bass and usually a skunk ? Why ?
DR

personally I kinda agree with you really these little fishing holes people have are just so you can throw your pole in the water and say that youve fished that day. these places are like throwing your line in a bath tub. Dont get me wrong some of these park lakes are nice but the fishing usually sucks. I only still go to apollo park and fish because im taking a first timer out there or some friends and family(mostly out of town family who just see that theres a place to fish and dont realize how trashy it is) have a BBQ. But hey i guess if there really are fish in there go ahead.

Surfer
04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
its a la country park, what you expect? lol, but yes i definatly do not believe 90% of the stuff i hear at alondra, in fact last time i was their some guy basically rousted me for using a popper cause it wasnt the "right time" for it, yet 20 min later hes working the same spot i was with a spook.....

Last week at Alondra I was fishing when a guy comes up to me, pole in hand, and asks if the magic truck threw the mackerels in yet. I just smiled and replied, "Not yet." Then I see him rigging up a rattletrap with a bobber. On the first pair of trebles a popper was attached and on the other he hooks up a frozen anchovy and a plastic worm before chucking it across the lake. Lol

bman90278
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM

1 It is very polluted

I could go on.

DR

Very well said DR, Yes u are right about Alondra. I've seen lots of fisherman never catch fish there and wonder if the lake actually has any fish. :)

HA420
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
alondra or harbor park, bman?