PDA

View Full Version : St. Patty's Day San Gabriel West Fork

BarblessTrout4Life
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
After catching no fish my last 3 trips to Deep Creek I decided to head to San Gabriel West Fork for some guranteed trout. The wind was still and there was excellent cloud cover but the river is currently higher than normal because of snow melt. Bear Creek was nearly three times it s summer flow. I arrived at the first hole past the bridge. It was around 7 am. I tried a few dries ( irrestible, mosquito, PMD ) just wishing but no luck. Even tried out the red San Juan Worm still nothing. I read all of TroutMasterson's posts and remembered it was time for the Green Crystal Wooly Bugger. 2nd cast and the best tug I ve felt this year. Thanks for all the advice.

http://cid-38cc21c895051740.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Trout?nl=1&uc=1

PMD's began to hatch and start taking off around 10 this morning but still no top water action. I continued to fish on up stream to the next bridge but didn't catch anything else. I also tried the Yellow Kern Emerger and a Hare's Ear still no luck. Then made a quick retreat back down the road to the truck passing four others going out to fish.
I arrived at the East Fork next and drove to Cattle Canyon. The water was flowing heavy so I decided to go in at Follow s Camp. Didn't have any luck the water was really flowing. But I caught a trout and I've got the itch worse then not catching one.

trout masterson
03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the shout out. The crystal bugger is the deal. Great report man.

Marley
03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Those wild fish up there are about the prettiest things I've seen with fins on! Odd that the hare's ear got no love.