PDA

View Full Version : Former Perris Fishing Pal Dead at Age 24

Natural Lefty
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I got the sad news two days ago. Some of you may have known him too. His name was Giovanny or Giovanni and he was a young hispanic gentleman with an infectious, optimistic personality and striking blue eyes who used to fish often at Lake Perris. I must have met him about 12 years ago or so when he was around 12 years old. His mother used to take him and sometimes a friend of his to the state park then pick them up later after she finished work. I befriended Giovanny since he and his friend seemed to have no adult supervision and he didn't seem to have a father figure. I would take him in my car from one fishing spot to another, give him jigs or bait to use and chat. Sometimes I would give him an extra Bluegill or two he said his mother liked to eat. I would wait for his mother to come so I would know that he could get home safely. This went on several times per year for a few years. Eventually, he stopped coming to Lake Perris though.

However, last year I was going to teach my class at school (Moreno Valley College, which is next to Lake Perris) when I heard someone call my name "Natural Lefty" (no, Robert actually) from a white SUV, and it was Giovanny. I found out that he had gotten married, had an infant daughter in the car with him, and met his wife Jasmine who was going to school here. (I am at school now on a break between classes.) We saw each other several times and chatted as he dropped Jasmine off or picked her up, but then I stopped seeing him. Now, it turns out Jasmine is in one of my classes and she gave me the bad news two days ago. It turns out that Giovanny developed high blood pressure, was given meds but was reluctant to take them. They were probably very expensive for him too since I don't think they had much money. Jasmine told me that at the end of July, Giovanny had a bad headache so they went to the hospital. His BP was out of control, so they gave him something to decrease the BP. Either they ODed him or it was too late; it's not clear to Jasmine. but Giovanny went into a coma and died the next day. He was only 24 years old, thin and appeared to be in good health, so it's a total shock. Giovanny was a great kid I was proud to call a friend. RIP Giovanny, wherever you are!

fishinone
03-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Robert,

I'm sorry to hear about Giovanni's death. I'll keep Jasmine and you in my prayers.

Hometown
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Cant say I knew the man but sounds like we lost a good one.Sad story indeed RIP Giovanni and let the Lord take of your Family.

Boltfan#1
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your freind. Like Hometown said sounds like we lost a good one. RIP Giovanni

EL_CHIDO
03-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Wow, that sucks...could be anyone of us or a loved one.

I try to check mine every time I'm in a CVS, Walgreens, etc.

bassgrabber1
03-16-2011, 04:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your Pal Lefty. Perris is one of those lakes that you make friends at and then you keep seeing them there a lot. I have met several fisherman there, because I try to go at least every Thursday, that have become good friends. Hope to meet you out there one day bro.

old pudd fisher
03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news, Its so hard to lose family and friends unexpectedly. Just think about the poor Japanese people.

Marley
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow, 24 years old. FAR too young. I'm sorry about your pal, Robert. You never really know when the last time is that you'll see someone you know or love.

Famous Ticketz
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
sorry to hear that lefty, i can tell he meant alot to you... RIP G

Natural Lefty
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess none of you knew Giovanni personally, but you still show concern, which is good. The surprising thing is that after several years, in a completely different context, he recognized me from like a hundred feet away and shouted out to me. That shows we were real fishing buddies. People do make a lot of friends at Perris and see them over and over again, but usually at Lake Perris or some other fishing spot. I think I had told Giovanni where I taught, so maybe he was thinking he might see me there.

By the way, some of you might also remember a guy named "Doug" who used to fish a lot at Perris and Puddingstone. I think he lived near Puddingstone. He was a blond haired, chain smoking guy who was really good at fishing, very helpful, but in my opinion, sometimes egotistical. Sometimes Doug fished with another guy who I think was Filipino, whose name I forget. I haven't seen either of them in several years, but last time I was at Perris, the talk among the people on the docks was that Doug was in jail, for what, I don't know, but that could explain his absence these past few years.

fishfinder
03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Socal Bassman
03-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Man, that is sad to hear. And at the young age of 24 too. Sorry for the loss of your friend and prayers go out to his family. I guess it's just a reminder to us that no matter how healthy we think we are, no one is invincible.

smokehound
03-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Damn that sucks. Truly sorry for your loss.

pho boy
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Rip, god bless his family in this time of mental hardship.

Natural Lefty
03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I think I will dedicate this fishing year to Giovanni.

I've had a strange week. I just found out yesterday that I won't have any class to teach this summer due to budget cuts, and the availability of fall semester classes is uncertain at this point. I have been teaching there continuously for about 15 years, with at least one class every session (winter, spring, summer, fall) until now. At least that could mean more time for fishing. On the other hand, we are getting close to making a deal to sell a plot of land my wife owns for solar energy development. The land is a few miles west of Blythe, just south of the freeway.

Oh, and my wife is still having problems with her rib area, although it seems to me that she has been improving. I finally took her to a doctor yesterday, he took x-rays, said it wasn't broken but something wasn't right, then he recommended having CAT scans and MRIs, etc. but we found out we have a $7,500 deductible. Would you want to pay $7,500 for something that seems to be improving gradually? We can't afford it. That's our wonderful health care system that so many people tried to make sure wouldn't be fixed so that millionnaires billionnaires could keep their tax breaks, when Obama wanted to do something to help. Sorry for the political rant, but that's straight from the heart. It's pay or die. Giovanni didn't pay, so he died. Eunice said she will probably wait until she goes to Taiwan to have the CAT scan and MRI, where it's practically free as it is throughout the rest of the developed world.