PDA

View Full Version : Trout Fishing w/ a bobber??

the killa fish taco
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I see a lot more people fishing the clear bobbers and the long bobbers. How do you set these up?

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
my favorite type of fishing is using floats(bobbers) using fly rods ,or my lite 2lb to 8lb rated 8.5ft salmon rod with a 750 size shimano reel.use 2lb to 4lbsize leader.under the float, tie a leader below 5ft to 8ft,or 25% longer than the depth of the water,your fishing.tie #8 to#12 mosqito hook drop shot style,with a 6" to 18" tag,and a very tiny splitshot.or carolina with a 6" to 12" from the hook either wacky, or thru the head ,with trout worms.with the float moving ,with the wind,chop ,and current,will give the worm slower natural movement,keeping it in the water longer.also using bead head flys #14 to#18 with 2lb.leader.i would suggest at least an 8ft to 8.5 bps lite microlite series float,and fly spinning rod 8ft to 8.5ft.the trout worms will catch trout,bass,and panfish.the beadhead flys catch trout and a bunch of panfish..hope this helps and have a good season.......mike the pmb.....

Trout 1
03-16-2011, 04:53 PM
i like the bobbers with BB's in them. i get the 7/8in ones...put a jig under the bobber, 2-6ft lead. pop it in slowly

Drew

5150fishn
03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I have used the slip bobbers when fishing big bear lake. You run the line through them and they have stoppers that you put on your line. This allows you to set where you want your bait to be in the water column. Helpful if you know what level the oxycline is at.

Frequent Flyer
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
i like trout 1's method. the clear bobbers u use it as a sliding sinker but u fill it up with water and it floats above the weeds in the lake

old pudd fisher
03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Bobbers are great to fish with, be creative with them. And like 'Frequent Flyer' said they can keep you out of the weeds.

Marley
03-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Sapdawg posted a detailed message on how to rig these to fish muddied water so for more detail, look up that post. In a nutshell you need to decide how deep you want your bait to hang. Slide a bobber stop (there are several types, I like the little plastic figure-8 types sold at BPS) up your line to the point you have the desired leader length. Note: if you are going to fish two or three feet under a bobber, there is no need to use a slip bobber. Use them for fishing very long leaders, 6 to 20 feet or so. After the stop is in place, thread on a small bead and then the slip bobber. Tie on a hook, maybe a splitshot 18" or so above it. Bait your hook and cast. The bait will pull the line through the bobber until the bead hits the stop. That's where your bait will ride and at that point, you just watch for the bobber to dive like a conventionally-rigged bobber would.
There are several different styles of slip bobbers to choose, all a matter of preference which will likely be related to visibility and how good your eyes are.