PDA

View Full Version : UNBLEVIABLE day for me! 9 LMB over 3.5lb this morning!!

FishinFireFighter
03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
The title sais it all, 9 largies for me and four for my buddy this morning in silverwood! We got up at 530 and hiked in to our spot by 6, and it seemed like it was going to be a quiet day..... So I just started throwing out all kinds of bait, mostly swimbaits since they had worked lastnight for us but they just werent on it today so my buddy tied on a jig.....BAM! He lands a 4lb so I switch.. nothing, Now hes up 3 to my zero so I go back to the tackle and realize there wasnt much I hadnt tried yet but I remembered I just picked up a big Rat-l-trap from basspro the other day and tied it on. First cast..BAM! The smallest of what was to become THE most EPIC fishing experience Ive ever had in freshwater. I noticed as soon as the trap scraped the point I got hit so I repeated it on my second cast...BBAMMM! 4lb's!!! Fourth cast also produced for me in this same exact spot casting over the same line, I decided to walk down about 50 yards to a shelf and cast along that.... BBBBBAAAAAMMMM!! 5lbs, 4lbs, 3lbs then the biggest largemouth Ive ever caught.... 6.06lbs fallowed buy a couple more all over 3,5lbs until my arm got sore of winding in big bass so we finally decided to leave:Big Grin:

ALL were CR's, and we tried to keep the mommys out of the water for as little time as possible and they all swam off just fine to continue fanning out their spawn beds:Wink:..

Im waiting for all the pics on my email so as soon as I get them they will get posted. We brought the scale today so we got pics of almost all the fish on the scale:Smile:.

a321eric
03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Dang man your killing them out there.

FishinFireFighter
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Dang man your killing them out there.
Yes, FINALLY! We came out when the lake was low just to scout it out for this years spawning season and map out where structure and potential spawning beds might be so we really did put in some work for this to happen. We took pictures of certain areas and have a map of others where we KNOW there will be bass! Last year we just walked around throwing random bait but we decided to get serious this year and it seems like its gonna pay off.

fishmounter
03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Very cool man! That's a lot of fun when something like that happens, which happened to us years ago at Lake Henshaw. We found an underwater creek bed with a "S" shape and we caught one big bass after another on deep diving cranks for about 30 minutes, then they were just gone... it was unbelievable for us, so I know how you felt! Congrats on your PB Largemouth!

TaperSteve
03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
WTG man!

TS

bassgrabber1
03-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Congrats...they are biting everywhere finally.

FishinFireFighter
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys! I am foaming at the mouth for my buddy to email me the pics to post but I know he went straight to bed when he got home because we were on 3 hours of sleep this morning and hiked/walked nearly 3 miles today. After the LMB slay we tried to find the stripers but that mission never materialized, lol.

a321eric
03-15-2011, 12:50 AM
haha ya i went to the wood back in like early January when the lake was drained down and took some mental pictures of structure.

Thisfool
03-15-2011, 01:45 AM
nice way to go man

sounds like the key was to make them super mad mad enough to bite.

FishinFireFighter
03-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Here are the pics that arent a dead giveaway of our spot, whitch unfortunately I will not be sharing:Wink:. I will attempt to edit the other pictures backgrounds so I can post them asap including the 6 pounder!

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2313/imag0149k.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1609/imag0143m.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/828/imag0145rg.jpg
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/2678/imag0144.jpg
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2688/imag0148nt.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2230/imag0146oh.jpg

seal
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Oh that's where they are:LOL:! Yea I was a bit surprised when I noticed them in shallow, good sign this is way earlier than last year.

Congratulations those are some beautiful fish!

carpanglerdude
03-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I am seized with a desire to fish Silverwood now, hahaha, great pics and report!

fishindude420
03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Great pics and report! Way to go those are some piggies!

Socal Bassman
03-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Way to go on the bass. All healthy chunks for sure. Keep up the good job.

FishinFireFighter
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I gotta be honest though. The fishing pressure there has been so light lately that I really wanted to report a skunk to keep it that way for a little longer but I figured that would be dirty, lol. Maybe if more people start coming to the lake they will change the hours sooner so I can actually start using that annual pass I bought instead of hiking in to fish.

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope you all get your epic day this season too!

seal
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Nobody at the lake on Monday, Tuesday a bunch of people, I blame you. Just kidding they will come out do the normal stuff, won't find the fish go home and complain about how slow Silverwood is. Ya gotta work so the spots that are the best most won't know about or are not willing to do the work.

Keep it up, but you may not want to over publicize:Secret:.

tomah
03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
man! good job out there!!

FishinFireFighter
03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Well I couldnt stand it anymore and got out there again this morning...5 largemouth and two stripers before 10AM. I cant believe how this week has been for me, it is seriously unbelievable. We tried a different spot today (another well scouted area from when the water was low) and although it is a heck of a hike in it was worth it and I need to get in shape for this upcoming fire season anyway! I lost 6 lures today so it wasnt cheap, 3 bucktails, a deep crank and two swimbaits fell victim to the slay. I got some pics Ill be posting later today of a couple worthy of the camera. The stripers were 6.82 and 4.76, the biggest largie was 5.6 I believe Ill have to check out the pic to confirm. I have a feeling the bite will be changing with the full moon approaching this week though so I am trying to get em while I can.

Again thanks for the comments guys!

seal
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Yup the weather should put them down a little this weekend and might take a while before they come back. But it should stay good for a while and you seem to have figured them out.

Stripers huh, man I spent all weekend on a striper hunt, morning, night all hours of the day and many different locations but we were targeting the biguns so that's my excuse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

FishinFireFighter
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Yup the weather should put them down a little this weekend and might take a while before they come back. But it should stay good for a while and you seem to have figured them out.

Stripers huh, man I spent all weekend on a striper hunt, morning, night all hours of the day and many different locations but we were targeting the biguns so that's my excuse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

They ONLY lure they would bite on were 1 oz. stump shot bucktails (white/black trailer) for us. As soon as they got stuck and were lost.....That was it for the striper mission lol. I dont understand how striper fishing isnt as popular as largemouth fishing is though because Id rather catch a striper any day, their fight to weight ratio KILLS LMB in my opinion, I love it!

Piss on Myspace
03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
dude ur killing it!!!! those are some pigs. great report, and kudos on all the hard work. maybe ill see you out there....congrats brotha

KILLA
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Awesome day out there, I hope to have a outting like that soon. Thanks for the report

viking172
03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow those are some nice fish, good job. I haven't fished Silverwood in years, Used to go there all the time when I was young. Glad to see the fishing is still good out there. I saw the USFS hat you are wearing in the pics, I fight fire up in lake Isabella for the feds as well, what Engine/Crew do you work on?

FishinFireFighter
03-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Wow those are some nice fish, good job. I haven't fished Silverwood in years, Used to go there all the time when I was young. Glad to see the fishing is still good out there. I saw the USFS hat you are wearing in the pics, I fight fire up in lake Isabella for the feds as well, what Engine/Crew do you work on?

Nice pic. Ive been with S.B. for 4 years now, I'll be on engine 15 this year in big bear. How bout you?

viking172
03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Right on I started on the Angeles in 2005 and made the move up to Lake Isabella in 2006 and have been working for Bakersfield B.L.M. ever since. Ill be working on Engines 3133, and 3146 this year.

steve092
03-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Way to go out there!

I go home today and I'll probably be out at my favorite lake (Silverwood!) tomorrow night!