PDA

View Full Version : Kayak for the beginner..

fishmounter
03-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting into Kayaking to fish my local lakes, but I know next to nothing about kayaking. What can I expect to pay for a good beginners 'yak and the needed accessories? (It can be used) How do I transport it to the lake? I really don't want to pull a trailer for a kayak. I've got a pickup truck, but the bed is only about 7 ft long.

Pelagic
03-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Keep a lookout on Craigslist for yours and the surrounding areas... or there are kayak fishing forums where yaks are listed quite often. If you're looking for a paddle kind, you can probably find one all rigged up with a fishfinder and other stuff for $600-900. The Hobie peddle kayaks, even used are going to be $1k+.

As far as loading it in your pickup, with a 7', you may be able to lean it upside-down over the tailgate. I have a 6.5 foot bed with a toolbox in the back, so I only have about 5' to work with. I got a bed extender from Harbor Freight for about $70-. It attaches to your hitch receiver, goes out about 3' and comes up like a T. A little pipe insulation and PVC tape on the top and you have yourself a nice padded surface to strap down the kayak to.

I've only been out on mine a few times so far and it has been a blast!

bassyakker
03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I carry mine in the bed with the tailgate down. It sticks out several feet. Just tie a red flag/rag in at the end of the yak. I use several straps thru the handles, and its pretty secure.

5150fishn
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I bought a Perception Angler 12'6" kayak from Dicks sporting goods last year for $600.00. It came with 2 flush mount rod holders and 1 rod buddy in front of you with the seat also included. All I needed to but was a paddle.
As far as transporting it I also use a Harbor Freight bed extender but I flipped it so instead of extending out have it up so that it is the same height as my truck roof and then I use a surf board rack on the cab. I did the same thing that Pelagic did and used some foam pipe insulation and black duct tape to pad the bed extender. Works great.

jerryG
03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
I added kayaks to my tackle arsenal in 99 thinking I would use the kayaks to fish the coastal Kelp and boilers still using the same kayaks today. A yak from a good manufacturer will last you for many years to come. There are plenty of used kayaks to buy no need to buy new one unless your getting a deal from inventory reduction or something like that. I bought all three of my kayaks used and after over 10 years of use I could sell them today for almost what i paid for them in 99. Just make sure you get a kayak from a good manufacturer such as Ocean kayaks, Malibu Kayaks, Cobra, Hobbie, Perception, or Wilderness Systems. Not only are they strong but they will hold their resale value. Also try to get a yak that already has a decent seat. As mentioned check the kayak board classifieds and craigs list.

CheapPelican
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm new to kayak fishing too and fish perris often.

I got a pelican castaway for cheap, at sports authority, as an impulse buy. It's ok but I already want to upgrade. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have minded spending more for an OK. Saw some good deals on craigslist in the past couple months.

I have a removable single ladder rack from Harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/250-lb-truck-ladder-rack-66187.html) and transport it upside down on top of pipe insulation. The castaway weighs less than 60 lbs so its not too difficult to get it up onto the rack.

ToadsToadsOnly
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a cobra tandem easily could fish as a double or single. With 1 seat, 1 paddle, w/2 hatches 1 large center hatch, 1 round hatch, fish finder, scotty mount rod holder, straps, and custom portable bait tank. Ill let it go for $650, if you want 2 seats 2 paddle $750. This kayak is one of the most stable yaks in the market and you could stand up on it without it flipping. Well thats if you are interested. My truck is a tacoma short bed and my kayaks fit fine into the bed of the truck. So I would be guessing yours would be fine to do the same.