PDA

View Full Version : Bonito/Mackeral on the Chew.

DockRat
03-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Went to the KH bubble thursday after work to see millions of birds. :Big Grin:
Fished about a hour till 'sore arm' set in. Big Macs WFO on every cast. Ended up with 2 Bonito and a couple came unbuttoned. 30 + Big Macs Released.

It was one of those stupid bites. Most hits came on the drop with the Krocadile.
This guy next to me C&R about 6 Boneheads. We had a small crowd watching us and one older Asain man was so excited he came down on the rocks and borrowed this other guys spare rod. Boils and splashes everywhere, Gull, Pelicans diving all over the place. Bait (anchovies) seen crashing into the rocks too.

Kept 2 Bonito for dinner, both had anchovies in the belly. No sardines seen. Kinda weird since 50 ton of sardines died off in the Hermosa side corner ?

KH has been not too good the last few weeks. I had about 6 skunk trips in a row till last night. It's like the switch was turned on. Should be good today. I sent Brandonfish some pics.

Started with the LC for a Bonito then the Mac fest. Then the guy next to me was nailing Bones on the Kroc so I went with the Kcoc. At the end of the session I tied on a heavy Braid Lure with a huge single hook. The macs still hit every cast.
Vintage UGLY stick with a Dawaii spinner with 8 lb was the weapon.
DR

Newfishsmell
03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
WFO on every cast.

Good to hear DR ... sounds like a great time .
Post some pics ...

fishinone
03-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks,

It's good to hear the things are heating up.

I've done well in those bon-mac boils by not setting the hook. There's no need to set on the bonito and a lot of the mackerel come right off. It probably won't work every time but it's worked for me.

What size bonito were you getting?

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Iz the bubble still running today ? (friday 3-11)

Good to see them running it...they've not been running it in any regularity for some time in past years

Let me know if you have info on whether it's still running or not if Ya can

HelicopterJohn
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow dude, good report! That's very strange. 3 nights ago the same scenario played out in alamitos bay. 10 fish in 5 minutes!

GETBIT!
03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Checked the surf tuesday & watched the dolphins beat up a bait ball, lotsa action out there glad to hear some one from here gota piece of it.Nice job on the bones

Ifishtoolittle
03-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Good stuff DR. I wonder if the Tsunami tide had anything to do with the bite? Or were there bubbles in the water?

DockRat
03-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Iz the bubble still running today ? (friday 3-11)

Good to see them running it...they've not been running it in any regularity for some time in past years

Let me know if you have info on whether it's still running or not if Ya can

The bubble has been running for weeks. One stack steaming at the power plant.
You can see the steam at

http://torrancebeach.com/

Good stuff DR. I wonder if the Tsunami tide had anything to do with the bite? Or were there bubbles in the water?

That was the evening before the earthquake. Went back on Tsunami day (Fri) for 20 min at sunset time.
No bites but lots of life. 4 seals were working the bubble area, Lots of birds and Pelicans diving everywhere.
Dude next to me landed 1 Big Mac, 1 Spanish Mac, and a Sardine. 2" Lure and a 6" Sardine (weird).
DR

Lipripper93561
03-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Can't beat a day without a little "arm sore" and something pulling at the end of your line. Sounds like fun.

flyngby
03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
DR,

Nice to see you get back on track and get another after work workout!

I am curious to see what is in the bellies of any fish in that harbor right now!

Are they smart enough to pass up on a free meal due to intelligence of just plain lucky?

tommibear
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
fished Sunday morning for 2 hrs. did not get a single bite.

Jigslinger
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
How are you DR?

I was out there Sunday for a few hrs and didn't get anything. It was SLOOOOOWWWW. Water was cold and dirty.

GETBIT!
03-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Fished the bubble saturday morning, it was glassy low tide and no one else was out, Didnt see to much top water action, though i did see what looked to be makeral 8-10' schooling couldent tell if they were spanish or not, decided to try a little deeper, tied on a swim bait in a 20 min period got alota short bites landed a couple small calicos

DockRat
03-14-2011, 06:01 AM
I am curious to see what is in the bellies of any fish in that harbor right now!

Are they smart enough to pass up on a free meal due to intelligence of just plain lucky?

The 2 bonito that went under the knife had 3 anchovies each in the belly.

Went back fri eve for nuttin and sunday am 2 hours for nuttin. Older Asain guy and wife did get a bonito and macs yesterday. Did the dfg survey.

The place is like a light switch. On or Off.
I visited the ' Dead Dine Zone ' to see not a single sardine. Just the smell of fish but not that bad as
Ports O Call San Pedro :ROFL:
DR

Newfishsmell
03-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Did the dfg survey.
DR

I went out Sunday afternoon for a few hours to the local jetty (lab)
and there was a young lady from DFG taking surveys .
Said they need info on how fishing impacts the local economy .
Took my e-mail !!

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
The bubble has been running for weeks. One stack steaming at the power plant.
You can see the steam at

DR
Thanks for the info, ended up finishing my saturday trip out there...see my Marina King Harbor Tsunami report...

Not allot of action but good potential...

Thanks,
Gary

Phanatic
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Good to hear their biting again. Keep them coming. Sounds like the beginning of a good year. Things have been really heating up lately.

DockRat
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Went back monday for 2 hours. Nothing, tried the Kastmaster, LC, Kroc.

Picked up a Shimano Symetre spinning reel at Fred Hall. I like it, cast far too.
DR

BrandonFish
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Way to Go DR nice bones just wait in tell you hook into that 5 pounder !
Sorry i can't get the pics onto my Computer.

DockRat
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
The bubble has been off for a few days.
3 skunks in a row, over it.
Back to the sand for a try at Halibut.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
The bubble has been off for a few days.
3 skunks in a row, over it.
Back to the sand for a try at Halibut.

Aww man…NOT good news…not at all : (

I was so pumped just to see that it had been running more consistently lately..for some odd reason everytime in the past several trips I took there it was never running..

Sorta strange too, they gotta be generating electricity at that power plant, I wonder what they do to cool their turbines when not running the bubble..

Don’t know if U ever tried it but where they suck the water in from the bay is a sweet bass spot….u’ll lose a lotta tackle in the snags but they are usually there !

It’s the “submerged hazards” pylon bouy in the inner harbor

I’m gonna hit it anyways Saturday, there’s always halibut and bass..

One would hope the boneheads linger but very commonly they follow that hot water…

Only way to find out is to go hammer it !

By all means let us know if you find out if the bubble turns back on.

Thanks for the update, I’ll let you know how things go out there sat !

DockRat
03-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I believe the Bonito are there but the bait doesn't seem as thick as last week.
The plant has been off all week but a few weeks back they would turn it on for the weekends.
Read somewhere it has been running at only 10% in recent years.

Back around 1973 ? A neighbor of my sisters boyfriend Barry Peterson got sucked into the KH intake
and died while scuba diving. He was about 18 at the time.
DR