PDA

View Full Version : buying boat from another state without seeing it

Coach D'
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello, has anyone , or would any of you buy a boat (say 25k) online thru ebay without seeing the boat, and just trusting the description and what the seller/dealer is telling you??

Are there legal repercusions if they lie? "No, there has never been any hull damage or repair. or The boat has never been in salt water."

Thisfool
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
well would you buy a car with out seeing it.

i personaly i woulnt do it

Coach D'
03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I was just gonna say heck no, before I remembered that years ago I got a Yukon online thru carmax and had it delivered. no probs.

I just figured surely there were some sound advice out there on what to look out for.

oomicha3loo
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Well buying a car is different then buying a boat, a boat has less attention care and less service record (no carfax) and most people look at a boat as a luxury item so imho i would so no but it is your money so spend it wisely

wackyrigged
03-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Depends if the dealer/seller is trustworthy.Sometimes that is hard to tell and a lot of scams out there lately.Also does E bay actually enforce there refund policies for that, might be something to look into.

Socal Bassman
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
I would never buy a boat without first checking it out. Just because the seller says the hull is good, doesn't mean that there aren't any problems with the motor or the transom is bad or the steering is seized, etc... IMO there are just too many "other" things that can be wrong with a boat. You might also want to check with the DMV about any fees you might have to pay for a boat bought outside of California.

riverside_angler
03-11-2011, 12:40 AM
if you want to know the legal side of things, research the uniform commercial code (UCC) and look under the warranty section (I believe it is chapter 2, sections 313-316). Pay close attention to the terminology, it is likely that the seller is not a merchant so some of the warranties may not pertain to him.

ONEKID
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
If it's a private seller, don't do it. If it's a big dealer, maybe. You can find a local shop to send someone out and look at it or have the dealer get a survey done. But you should go and inspect it yourself.

Sparky70
03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Don't buy that boat sight unseen.

See Chris Fish
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Only way I would do this is if I had a survey done on the boat.
Well worth the money if you, personally, can't get out to see it.

NoHo ART
03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
if you are ready to drop 25k on a boat ... just drop $300 on a airfare and check the boat out first in person.

Coach D'
03-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Great, great info! I thank you all for weighing in. Good point about spendin 300 or so on a ticket to go see it myself if I'm going to drop that kind of money.

Nessie Hunter
03-12-2011, 08:04 AM
You can find a local shop to send someone out and look at it or have the dealer get a survey done. But you should go and inspect it yourself.

This is the best advice....
Get a local dealer to appraise & Inspect the boat or find a Marine Surveyor to do a Survey (these are hard to find in many locations)..
Other then a trip there yourself, this would be your best bet IMHO....

Or just RUN!!! lol

Sparky70
03-12-2011, 08:34 PM
If that boat is so sweet WHY is it advertised on eBay ? Go look at it before U buy it.:EyePop: :EyePop: :EyePop:

DockRat
03-13-2011, 05:21 AM
If I'm spending $25k I wan't to see it and do a compression test.
DR

Coach D'
03-14-2011, 01:23 AM
This is the best advice....
Get a local dealer to appraise & Inspect the boat or find a Marine Surveyor to do a Survey (these are hard to find in many locations)..
Other then a trip there yourself, this would be your best bet IMHO....

Or just RUN!!! lol

Thank you OK and NH ! I don't have an boat in particular, just see an AWFUL LOT of nice "looking" boats on ebay and other sites. I REALLY want to have the potential to run to catalina, but also ability to get into more shallow fresh water spots (preferably trolling motor).

Are the sides of bay boats (only boats ive seen with trolling motor) too shallow or our offshore (Catalina) conditions?

Coach D'
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
my bad, thank you dockrat and sparky as well. Shoot, I Thank Everybody!!

oomicha3loo
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Bay boats = glasspar, bass boats ect..
I wouldn't be brave enough to take a 16' to catalina.
The reason I spent my money on a skipjack over any other boat is because if you tap the side of the skipjack the hull is SOLID compare to a bayrunner or a wellcraft. And on top of that my neighbor (AVID catcherman) had pushed me toward a skipjack. For 25K you can buy a pretty nice 26-28' skipjack or a 24' flybridge. imho buy local before out of state

Coach D'
03-15-2011, 01:14 AM
No, no, no... lookin at least 22'. Sumthin like the Skeeter Zx24V. Thanks for the info though. That is a main area of interest (manufacturers). Any other input is much looked forward to!

oomicha3loo
03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I would not take a bass boat to catalina, the hull is way to short to handle 3-6 foot swell, i went to catalina yesterday in my skipjack and it was 3-5 swell and it did fine even anchored down in the back next to the rock.

NFCD I
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
If your going to spend 25K, what's anther $500.00 for a plane ticket? Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

DockRat
03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you OK and NH ! I don't have an boat in particular, just see an AWFUL LOT of nice "looking" boats on ebay and other sites. I REALLY want to have the potential to run to catalina, but also ability to get into more shallow fresh water spots (preferably trolling motor).

Are the sides of bay boats (only boats ive seen with trolling motor) too shallow or our offshore (Catalina) conditions?

You can do Catalina on a smaller boat but it's not advised.
If you watch the marine weather that is the whole key.

You can't always plan ahead then go for it if the weather is questionable.

My buddy has a Ranger 24' Bayrunner Merc 250 Troller up front.
We hit Catalina, San Clemente Island. We go from SD off Mexico sometimes 30 - 50
miles offshore. 70 gallon gas tank, then brings 6 @ 5 gallon plastic cans tied together up front. He has a T top with plastic/zippers that wraps around the front and sides out at a angle to stay dry. Still, no freeboard, a boat like a Skipjack is more heavy with freeboard. But the advantage of a faster boat is you can get out of town quick.

Sometimes it feels like we are on the smallest boat offshore but it handles good as long as wind/waves don't get too bad. I've had friends do Catalina on a 13' Whaler but it all depends on the wind and swell. If you plan on fishing much sometimes it is best to spend the night and not risk the afternoon wind. My nephew does Catalina on his 17' Whaler then camps at the campground. It is nice to have a cabin or cuddy cab to keep your stuff dry. My nephew has to bag everything (clothes ect) with his wet boat (no freeboard).

Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
My 17' Cuddy Cab doesn't have them and all the water has to be pumped out.
If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL.

Start to take a few waves over the side with a dead motor and that thing could sink in 2minutes. Thinking your bildge pumps will keep up while your getting rocked with a dead motor could get ugly.
'Hello Vessel Assist, I'm Sinking. ZZZZZZZZZZ'

Webmaster Jeff's boat doesnt look very big and he hits Catalina & Clemente.
Good Luck, DR

DockRat
03-16-2011, 07:52 PM
This is what we fish offshore on. LOL Not recommended.
He also has a big bait tank behind the seat, 3 bait tanks.
Tuna Chaser. :Thumbs Up:

Check it out.

http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=38&mid=5989

oomicha3loo
03-18-2011, 11:53 PM
You can do Catalina on a smaller boat but it's not advised.
If you watch the marine weather that is the whole key.

You can't always plan ahead then go for it if the weather is questionable.

My buddy has a Ranger 24' Bayrunner Merc 250 Troller up front.
We hit Catalina, San Clemente Island. We go from SD off Mexico sometimes 30 - 50
miles offshore. 70 gallon gas tank, then brings 6 @ 5 gallon plastic cans tied together up front. He has a T top with plastic/zippers that wraps around the front and sides out at a angle to stay dry. Still, no freeboard, a boat like a Skipjack is more heavy with freeboard. But the advantage of a faster boat is you can get out of town quick.

Sometimes it feels like we are on the smallest boat offshore but it handles good as long as wind/waves don't get too bad. I've had friends do Catalina on a 13' Whaler but it all depends on the wind and swell. If you plan on fishing much sometimes it is best to spend the night and not risk the afternoon wind. My nephew does Catalina on his 17' Whaler then camps at the campground. It is nice to have a cabin or cuddy cab to keep your stuff dry. My nephew has to bag everything (clothes ect) with his wet boat (no freeboard).

Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL.

Start to take a few waves over the side with a dead motor and that thing could sink in 2minutes. Thinking your bildge pumps will keep up while your getting rocked with a dead motor could get ugly.
'Hello Vessel Assist, I'm Sinking. ZZZZZZZZZZ'

Webmaster Jeff's boat doesnt look very big and he hits Catalina & Clemente.
Good Luck, DR

I agree with him, but for speed my neighbor 26' skippy cruises at 20-25 knotts with a dual props (5.7L)

Coach D'
03-18-2011, 11:59 PM
"Deck Drains vs Bath Tub. If your deck drains off, you are much better off.
If it was out there mid channel and the wind and swell came up then the motor died I would be SOL
Great info! I need to hear many things just like this to help me make a sound decision

Hey DR, what are the 5 gallon plastic cans for? added bouyancy?

DockRat
This is what we fish offshore on. LOL Not recommended.
He also has a big bait tank behind the seat, 3 bait tanks.
Tuna Chaser.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking about as a potential option? Its great to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks again

DockRat
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey DR, what are the 5 gallon plastic cans for? added bouyancy?

Gas, 70 gals + 30 gal in cans is good for a 4:00 am launch and cruise and troll all day.
I might have to pass on some trips this year $$$
$4 a gallon + filling up his V10 Ford F350 + bait, food.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/melissamckee/broke.jpg

Coach D'
03-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Bahaaaaaa!! Added buoyancy.

Is that common practice to carry gas in containers like that? Great Idea!

exfactor
03-22-2011, 12:22 AM
There are lake boats, and there are ocean boats. Fast and light for fresh, quick and heavy for salt. Lots of pros and cons to each side. I tell everyone I have two girl friends............one i really like. If this is your first boat, go and see for yourself if she's rally what you want, on the water, with a sea trial, or lake trial. Take a mechanic along with you to check compression, engine hours, etc. Pretend you are going on a blind date........might be a ding ding ding, might be a damn damn damn.

oldmaninsea
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
At least I hope it was a "Top Rated Seller"? If so, it's likely to be his livelihood and he's not likely to jeopardize that gold seal to rip you off ... notice i said "not likely" ... I only buy "bigger" items from TRSs on ebay .. course, i've never purchased anything even approaching 25K ... with all the boats for sale locally, what was it about this one that said: I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS ONE?

Tom
over and out

DockRat
03-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Bahaaaaaa!! Added buoyancy.

Is that common practice to carry gas in containers like that? Great Idea!

I wouldn't say common, but it works. We bungee cord all the extra fuel tanks together and carry a huge funnel.
DR

Coach D'
03-23-2011, 11:52 PM
There are lake boats, and there are ocean boats. Fast and light for fresh, quick and heavy for salt. Lots of pros and cons to each side. I tell everyone I have two girl friends............one i really like. If this is your first boat, go and see for yourself if she's rally what you want, on the water, with a sea trial, or lake trial. Take a mechanic along with you to check compression, engine hours, etc. Pretend you are going on a blind date........might be a ding ding ding, might be a damn damn damn.

Wow, you mean I get to get back in the dating game again? Its been a while, and I'm sure I am rusty. I like the advice. I am leaning towards salt for the reason that I "could" catch something like your avatar!! That possibility is NOT there when fishin fresh.

I like the suggestion/comments. Thanks

Coach D'
03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
At least I hope it was a "Top Rated Seller"? If so, it's likely to be his livelihood and he's not likely to jeopardize that gold seal to rip you off ... notice i said "not likely" ... I only buy "bigger" items from TRSs on ebay .. course, i've never purchased anything even approaching 25K ... with all the boats for sale locally, what was it about this one that said: I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS ONE?

Tom
over and out

Nothing has said "I gotta have this one" yet, thats why I'm talkin to you guys. (-; Yes I would def lean towards a TRS, and I was thinking the same thing as far as selling boats as their livelihood therefore not out to do buyers wrong.

Thanks young man

Coach D'
03-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't say common, but it works. We bungee cord all the extra fuel tanks together and carry a huge funnel.
DR
Brilliant! as long as its safe