PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Or Pyramid Friday Morning?

Fishinstoned
03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey everyone, i'm new to FNN and so far all the info i've read on all the
local lakes has been very up to date so i thought i'd take my girlfriend fishing
over at either Castaic Lake or Pyramid Lake. I'm gonna be targeting Stripers,
LMB, & Trout. Castaic was stalked with 900lbs of trout March, 3 2011 so that's
7 days after the plant. Mabye some hold overs still cruisin around at the west ramp?
possibly some schoolie stripers playin "catch me if ya can" with the trout? Pyramid lake
was stalked with 900lbs of trout Febuary 27 2011, but for some reason i've noticed the stalker trout at pyramid seem to hold over longer than the Castaic stalkers. Anyone know why? Also the Pyramid Stalkers seem to be bigger and a stronger fight than Castaic trout. I've had good fishing at both Castaic & Pyramid throughout the years, Last trip to Pyramid with my girlfriend i happened to catch 3 holdovers and hooked into a 5lb+ LMB jigging for trout. Wasn't ready for the strike so my drag wasn't set and SNAP! Castaic i've caught tons of 1lb-6lb LMB 1lb bluegills tons and tons of trout and dink stripers nuthing over 1lb tho. So if anyone has any heads up on which lake i should take my girlfriend to for a good chance at putting some fish in bucket i'd really appreciate it. I'd really love to turn her onto to some good fishing
for her first real fishing trip. You real fisherman should know what i'm talkin about. That's how most of us now fishing got turned on right?

Heres a few photos from my last trip at Castaic Lake. The gills were caught on cut peices of nightcrawler with no weight at all tossed into small brush coves found on the campsite side of the lower lagoon. The LMB was caught on an Arons Magic purple & black plastic worm Drop Shoting the campsite side of the Lagoon. Happy Fishing.

Fishinstoned
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Anyone on forums today? Would really appreciate any info. I'll be taking video logs on the way to the lake, getting to the lake, during the lake, and leaving the lake with the final outcome and i'll be posting everything on here right when i get home from the lake Friday evening. Thanks Happy Fishing.

Fishinstoned
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Theres still time to give me tips :) any tips or heads up would be nice and appreciated.
Thank you. Keep on fishing.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Well I’ll give you a little info, what I can at least, I haven’t fished either in a few weeks but I know those lakes pretty well.

If it’s shore fishing ur doing (I am guessing it is) I’d recommend Castaic, the possibility of big #’s are at pyramid but ur gonna need a boat and troll but average fish is 1-3 lb class.

Castaic is ALWAYS tuff this time of season but we’re really creeping upon the time when the stripers should start heating up but it’s probably still a little early yet..

My best advice would be Castaic if ur on shore…go off the dam, I haven’t got confirmation but lately they been stocking the main ramp not the west ramp…call the boat rentals and they’ll tell you where they stocked but 900lbs isn’t a real beefy stock but you might find some trout lingering where the dam begins or to the right of the boat rental docks..

Fish cut bait for stripers off the dam anywhere fromm about 100 yards of the beginning of the dam to the middle (mid section prob better for stripers)

Carolina or surf rig and cast out far…cut anchovies or fresh sardines available at Gallions bait shop..

#1 owner mosquito hooks with the cut bait should do U fine

Trout is simple…you can figure than one out..mini jigs kastmasters and powerbait should produce action if they’re there..

Always LMB options all around that area but if LMB U seek u’ll probably do better off to the right of the boat rental docks than off the dam…drop shot robos and fish them slow for the mossbacks…..or some shad oriented lures..U’ll prob do better fishing slow with the robos though..

For your girl try some nightcrawlers as well..

Well I hope this helps and welcome aboard FNN : )

Gary

P.S. if you go to pyramid shoreline access to the stripers is pretty tuff but if U were to fish pcs of nightcrawlers in the channel U’ll slay mini micro stripers but when I say mini micros..I mean “Danks”

I hope U get some action...good luck !

Swivel
03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Dude I just noticed your pic. Is that a real racoon your posing with? Even if its not I damn near pissed my self from laughter. Thank you for that I needed a good laugh.

Fishinstoned
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
gletemfeelsteelgary - Thanks for the very detailed info about the two lakes. I was talkin to my girl
about the fishing trip last night and we decided we're going first thing tomorrow morning, I was hoping
she'd saying castaic or pyramid, but we agreed on going up to "Topanga Point" and try the surf for some perch. Next friday will be the Lake trip most likely so everything you explained to me i will greatly take into concideration and i will defenitly post pics here after my trip tomorrow, even tho it'll be surf fishing instead of castaic or pyramid lakes. BTW does anyone know how the surf fishin in around Santa Monica, Topanga Point, or Zuma? And what exactly is biting, what bait would work best, and tackle set up. Last time i was at Topanga Point, my dad pulled in a little shark about 3lbs on a splitshot with cut anchovies. This time i was thinking of carolina rigging with a 1-2oz pyramid weight 1 1/2 ft from the hooks. My bait of choice will be frozen anchovies, dug up sand crabs, and a variety of lures/jigs/plastics, 8-10lb test for the perch and 10-15lb for the bigger pole that i'll have set up for bigger fish on a pole holder. IF anyone has any further info that would increase my chances at getting my girl onto some decent fish, i'll be here to check for replys throughout the day and early night. Thanks. Happy fishing.

karlow
03-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Are Tsunamis good for fishing?
I'm thinking Pirate Lake!
I have not been there in a year, but the last few times at Castaic we were really scratching to get a fish or two.

TroutOnly
03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Thats cause its you karl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reservoir dog
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I noticed that raccoon in the pic as well. That's funny!

Good tips gletemfeelsteelgary...

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Are Tsunamis good for fishing?

We will SOON see, I'm going to chase down the Halibut and Bass in Marina Del Rey tonight...

In my 12' skiff (insert perfect storm pic here)

nelayan
03-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi Gary! Thanks for the info, just the one I need, between castaic or pyramid