PDA

View Full Version : First swimbait fish!

mudskipper76
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Like the title says, I caught my first swimbait fish this past weekend.
After hearing all the reports of big fish being caught on these lures I figured why not. Visited basstackledepot.com for some deals i heard about. Picked up a Lunker Punker (which came with a free Shell Cracker) and an AC Plug. As is always the case, by the time I was done ordering I bought what I didn't need, spent more than I had budgeted for, am a happier man for it!

Pulled the Daiwa baitcaster spooled with 8# out of the closet, blew the dust off of it, tied on the AC, and off to the local fishin hole i went.

My usual set up consists of a spinning reel with 6# and some cheap lures. I'm not used to throwing bigger baits or using a baitcasting reel. I was sure I was going to be spending most of my time picking through a few birds nests. Surprisingly I had only one the whole night. Arrived at the spot tossed around for a bit and wouldn't you know it I stuck my first swimbait fish in about 15min! A respectable 3# largie. I was pumped!! Didn't get anything else so I called it a night. Went back the next day with my ocean set up (7' Allstar/Calcutta 400/25#) and threw the Shell Cracker. Although i didn't get a single hit, using that set up made a world of difference.

I have to admit its weird using 25# line for a freshwater fish. Guess I'll have to get used to it cause I'm hooked!!

On a side note, although that was my first swimbait fish, I had fished another spot earlier in the day and i got railed by a 5# (weighed, no pic) while throwing my favorite little $4 xps wakebait.

So I'm open to all recommendations and advice anyone may have. Thanks in advance!

CPT. Kirk
03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Great job Mudskipper on your first swim bait catch. Thanks for the report and photo.

carpanglerdude
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Killing it. Nice fish! Get out and fish more :p

mudskipper76
03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Killing it. Nice fish! Get out and fish more :p

ha! thanks b, but im far from killing it. lets fish ford sometime this week!

mudskipper76
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Great job Mudskipper on your first swim bait catch. Thanks for the report and photo.
thank you sir.

KILLA
03-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Sweet, look at the smile on both of your faces. I LOVE FISHING

mudskipper76
03-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Sweet, look at the smile on both of your faces. I LOVE FISHING

haha! thanks Killa, fishing tends to have that affect on people.

ToadsToadsOnly
03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Congrats on your first swimbait fish welcome to the swimbait addiction.

Rapala17
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Solid fish! Good swimbait action!

mudskipper76
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Congrats on your first swimbait fish welcome to the swimbait addiction.

dude you're not kidding! i don't even want to touch my other gear!