PDA

View Full Version : phenix question...s

Frequent Flyer
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
1. wats the difference between the elixer and mirage series?
2. wats the difference between the 7'6" elixer and the 7'6" loomis?
3. lastly is phenix coming out with any new models in the next year? (i just dont wana spend 200+ big ones and then see that a new one is coming out (ok if disclosed in a pm))
thanks for any info itll b put to a good use

Poxy Boggards
03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
I have both an elixer and a mirage. The mirage has a softer feel with a slower action. The Elixer has a stiffer feel wiht a faster action. Both are great rods, and you'd do well to have either of them.

What type of lures do you like to throw? I'd say the elixer is better for splitshotting/dropshotting a powerworm, and the Mirage is better suited for jigs.

Good luck on your purchase. Both are very nice sticks!

Frequent Flyer
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
i do all of that stuff on a pretty even level. im thinking of just getting the elixer and then the mirage later. another question i have is wat is the difference between the blank and 200 dollar rod?

Howling Mad Murdock
03-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Was at Fred hall in long beach and was told Phenix is coming out with new stuff June or July. Couldn't wait so I bought a blank to throw lc's. Super light carbon fiber. Now it's a matter of spin or bait. To curado or not to curado?

Frequent Flyer
03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
@Howling Mad Murdock
haha thanks for the info guess ill b waiting to c wat it is. and thats one of the questions of life!!!

AngryAgent
03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
1. wats the difference between the elixer and mirage series?
2. wats the difference between the 7'6" elixer and the 7'6" loomis?
3. lastly is phenix coming out with any new models in the next year? (i just dont wana spend 200+ big ones and then see that a new one is coming out (ok if disclosed in a pm))
thanks for any info itll b put to a good use

It's pretty much like Poxy said...If you want something that will fish it all then the Elixir is the rod for you. It has a soft enough tip so that you can jig with it but has plenty of back bone that you can drop shot and throw heavier baits as well. The Elixir is tried and true and anything that comes out new, though might be better (or worse), is not going to take away from the Elixir being one of the better trout fishing sticks out there, essentially it does it all.

The Mirage on the other hand is much more of a specialized stick that is more catered to fishing with (in my opinion) only 2lb test and jigs. It highly reminds me of the old Kencor stuff with just a bit more back bone. It offers that ultra easy jigging motion with the softer then butter tip.

I have owned both and have wrapped more then a few of each but I only still own one and that is the Elixir. It is far more versatile and fits my style of fishing much more then the Mirage. If you were one of the ol' Kencor guys back in the day then you might want to give the Mirage a try, if not stick to the Elixir and you will be happy.

i do all of that stuff on a pretty even level. im thinking of just getting the elixer and then the mirage later. another question i have is wat is the difference between the blank and 200 dollar rod?

Now this is really the question that I wanted to address. A custom made stick by far surpasses that of a factory wrap. A custom is made exactly to your specifications and if wrapped by someone reputable will fish like you want it to.

Questions that should be asked by the wrapper:

A)What type of fishing do you plan on doing with it
B)What kind of reel and what size-this plays a role in guide lay out and stripper size
C)What action are you looking for-different guides will give you a slightly different action based on weight
D)What kind of handle do you want etc etc etc..

I would also (as someone looking to purchase a custom built rod) want to pull on a few different blanks to see what I liked. This will give you a better idea of the action of the rod and what to expect. Another way is to fish with someone else's rods.

Bottom line is that a factory will never ever stand up to a custom, and lots of potential is wasted in factory wrapped rods.

Frequent Flyer
03-20-2011, 01:26 PM
ok, so if i get a blank do i hav 2 get it custom built or is it the same as the regular rod just without the name?

Trout 1
03-20-2011, 02:10 PM
ok, so if i get a blank do i hav 2 get it custom built or is it the same as the regular rod just without the name?

its just a rod with nothing on it. (no guides, handle, reelseat, ect..). when you get a blank you have to get it wrapped. if you do that, let the builder get the blank for you...

Drew

AngryAgent
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM

A blank is just what the name implies. You will have to have them wrapped with the components of your choice. When you select a wrapper be sure they ask you what kind of components you would like as well.

its just a rod with nothing on it. (no guides, handle, reelseat, ect..). when you get a blank you have to get it wrapped. if you do that, let the builder get the blank for you...

Drew

Letting the builder get the blank for you isn't always the right decision. Most builders will get blanks for less then retail and then charge you retail in turn. If you can acquire the blank on your own for a reasonable price (like at the Fred Hall Show) you will be better off trust me. Most rod builders are in the business to make money so you can't fault them for that..

Frequent Flyer
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
oh ok i get it now. thanks