PDA

View Full Version : Barred Surf Perch

oldmaninsea
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi again,

Anyone ever fry up Barred Surf Perch :BabbleFish:? I just did, the mama that took one for the fish gods the other day, and it wasn't bad at all!! Very mild fish flavor, not in your face at all. The only drawback, and it's not unpleasant at all, is the texture. They are not a solid meat fish, say like halibut or rockfish. More 'melts in your mouth' than 'chewy'.

So, if you are an avid fish eater, I would suggest you give 'em a try!! I was very pleasantly surprised:Big Grin: Of course, just like their freshwater counterparts, Blue Gill and Crappie, it does take a bunch of 'em to make a meal.

Tom
over and out

smokehound
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
BSp are better suited to frying. The major drawback is they deteriorate rapidly in heat.

The hands-down BEST way to preserve their flavor and texture is by using an Ice/brine slurry. Freshwater ice alone breaks down the flesh and degrades quality.

If you do this, your surfperch will be firmer, and less pasty in texture. Saltwater ice also stays cold after it melts in a cooler. Unfortunately, hauling a cooler around sucks. X(

tomah
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
i was going to keep my first BSP i caught on friday last week, but i decided i should let the lil bugger go for the spawn season :)

maybe i will try one post spawn.

thanks for the info!

smokehound
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
i was going to keep my first BSP i caught on friday last week, but i decided i should let the lil bugger go for the spawn season :)

maybe i will try one post spawn.

thanks for the info!Wise decision. Surfperch taste better out of spawning season.

exfactor
03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd choose a bluegill or redear over a surf perch ANY DAY!!! Plus, it's easier to just fish the surf without the bucket lol!