PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting reel backlash/ birds nest

sgtskunk
03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey everyone I have a question and I am hoping for some help. I have a shimano craudo 200E5 reel that I have had for 3 years now. I recently took it to SAV-ON tackle for service and paid $30 for everything (new brakes, cleaning etc..) I spooled it with 12lb floro. seagar line. But the 2 times I've gone out since it seems like every cast I get backlash. I am doing the samething I always do with the setup but keep getting the backlash/ birds nest. What do you think it is? Any insight would be appreciated.

tomah
03-08-2011, 07:30 PM
the reel is probably super slick inside now. you might want to tighten up the freespool adjustment before you cast it out. after that, back it off as needed

sgtskunk
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
ya I tired that but still getting nested. I was throwing a babybrush hog with a 1/8 tungstun and thought that it was light and thats why it was happening so went up to a 1/4oz. and still got the backlash. I moved the breaks around so at this point I think it might be the line? It's the 1st time I have tried seaguars invizx. What do you think?

wackyrigged
03-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Sounds like it has to do with the fresh oil in it.I would turn up the brakes click 4 on instead of 2 (well 2 is usually what I have on).I would set the spool after that how you usually do it.Try taking some smooth casts at first until the oil disperses a little more then if all gos well go ahead and set it back up to your regular setting and cast far again.It also could be the line as you mention,I do not have any experience using that brand so can't tell.

Nessie Hunter
03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
1/4 oz is still on the light side for the E5, but doable.
I would say Min of 3/8++ for good casting & getting used to it...

The fluoro is stiffer then Mono also, with more memory (Slinky Coils), Might try 10# or a diff Fluoro that has less memory (which causes major drag in the guides and will Nest ya bad)...
Especially with lighter weights.. Try Izor XXX seems to have less memory then most???

Brakes will help but "Spool tension" (small knob under handle) will add a lot more!!! then the Lft side Brakes, then adjust Spool tension control as you get used to the Faster 'Serviced' Bearings...
Thumb Control is #1 on any baitcaster (except DC reels)...

Thumb Control....

Once you get used to the freshly serviced bearings you will slowly Adjust (Spool Tension & Brakes) accordingly.
But I would start with going to at least 3/8 weight....

If the service person is like me, they backed off all the adjustments to see how much freespool they could get!

bassgrabber1
03-09-2011, 08:58 AM
If they over oiled the reel, this will happen. It is really common to over lubricate the reel. Try using heavier weight like someone already said and then after a few more times of fishing it should be cool. If it still does it then you may need to clean out some of the oil. This is just my opinion and not for sure what the problem could be but I hope it helps.

DarkShadow
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
In my experience, flouro FLIES off a reel, especially if it wasn't wound tight. It can get frustrating until your thumb learns to adjust.

As others have said, I'd turn on ALL the internal weights, tighten up the freespool, and work from there.

.:LOLLY:.
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Are you casting into the wind?

fishingforreds
03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
throw some water on the line before you cast. Casting dry line guarantees instant bird nest.