PDA

View Full Version : Millions of dead fish - Redondo King Harbor

Psycho_fish'r
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestnews/ci_17564875

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site577/2011/0308/20110308_104234_fishphoto08a.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site577/2011/0308/20110308_104641_MOREFISH08B.jpg

Millions of dead anchovies are covering the sea bottom and floating on the surface of the water this morning at King Harbor in Redondo Beach, and officials are trying to figure out what happened.

Fire, police and public works officials were on the scene, at this point working to remove the fish as quickly as possible.

"We need to get rid of them," said Sgt. Phil Keenan of the Redondo Beach Police Department. "This is going to create a terrible pollution and public health issue if we don't."

The cause is so far a mystery. It appears the fish may have died due to lack of oxygen, Keenan said.

But residents said they weren't aware of any red tides, an algae bloom that sucks oxygen out of the water, or other issues that could have caused such a massive killing.

"Yesterday everything looked absolutely normal," said Walter Waite, who lives at the harbor. "This morning when I got up, there were millions and millions of them floating everywhere."

He said he was at first struck by the fact the birds weren't feeding; apparently, they already gorged.

The weather is expected to be warm today, adding to the urgency to remove the fish, officials said. The fish, about 6-inches in length, are scattered all over the harbor along Marina Way.

TaperSteve
03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
W0W!!! Thats INSANE!!! :EyePop:

TS

Ifishtoolittle
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Oh crap that's not good.

Granny Fish
03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
When the news first showed the pictures, I thought the boats were beached. Then I realized that was all fish around the boats. WOW! Seems kind of early in the year for red tide.

smokehound
03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Total smorgasbord. Everything ate well today!

There could be several reasons why they went belly up... Whatever the case, you can be sure that the media will crucify fishermen for it! :LOL:

yellowboil
03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Pretty weird. Anchovies only? Are there other fish in there? You would think there would be other species affected.

Ifishtoolittle
03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Said they were sardines on Yahoo! Anyone know what's going to happen to all those fish? Turned into fish meal perhaps?

bowler
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
A ton stink bait. LOL

bones
03-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't buy the oxygen kill off theory. That harbor is too big and the tide swings have been very good the last week. MMMMMM Maybe the bubble hole farted !!
One thing for sure....... If there is that much bait around the harbor there are probably flatties both north and south of the breakwalls. MMMMMM.....I just might have to do a recon down there SOON!

flyngby
03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't buy the oxygen kill off theory. That harbor is too big and the tide swings have been very good the last week. MMMMMM Maybe the bubble hole farted !!
One thing for sure....... If there is that much bait around the harbor there are probably flatties both north and south of the breakwalls. MMMMMM.....I just might have to do a recon down there SOON!

Mike,

Since there were upwards of 70 mph offshore winds at my residence that would cause the swell and currents to be altered and lay down and they reported unusually high waves does not make sense to me!

I agree that some thing will be in that vicinity very soon to eat all of them that sank before being hauled off to the land fill! Talk about the ultimate chum line!

DockRat
03-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I checked it out after work. They are Sardines not Anchovies.
The affected area is King Harbor Marina on the Hemosa side of the harbor. No Dines at Port Royal or Porofino side. The lack of birds was weird. Just a couple here and there ???

I buy the story that the wind pushed the school in then the ran for shelter by the millions.
Too many Dines in the corner of the harbor = can't breath.
This was a isolated area in 10% of the harbor.

Then went to the bubble at sunset time and fished ( No Sadines Seen )
But a WFO Mackeral bite. Stated with the LC then went for the Kastmaster for some C & R.

Comedy Corner;
I stopped by Joes Crab Shack for the $5.99 special.
All you can eat deep fried fresh sardines. :ROFL:

The bait reciever was surrounded by sardines. :ROFL:

I paid $60 for 2 scoops of Sardines.
Felt like a dumbass when he scooped the bait in open water. :ROFL:

The corner of this pic is the affected area.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z81/drumzeeker/Goodyear%20Blimp%20Ride%202007/GoodyearBlimpRide038.jpg