PDA

View Full Version : Bassmasters Classic and Reels

Surfnsnowboard3
03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
So I was watching the classic and noticed EVERYBODY was using a baitcaster. Being relatively new to fishing and only owning spinning rods, I was wondering why that was? Obviously there is an advantage to baitcasters. So my few questions are...what an advantage and disadvantage of both baitcaster and spinning?

DarkShadow
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
So I was watching the classic and noticed EVERYBODY was using a baitcaster. Being relatively new to fishing and only owning spinning rods, I was wondering why that was? Obviously there is an advantage to baitcasters. So my few questions are...what an advantage and disadvantage of both baitcaster and spinning?

To make a 3 page story short, the guys fishing the Bassmaster Tour are not using anything less than 10 pound test, due to the nature of the waters they usually fish.

Because baitcasters handle heavier line better than spinning reels, IMO, you won't see too many coffee grinders on tour.

And because their presentations need to be precise, you can control sailing baits a lot better with a baitcaster, as well as flip and pitch baits into tight spots, better than you can with a spinning reel.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
To make a 3 page story short, the guys fishing the Bassmaster Tour are not using anything less than 10 pound test, due to the nature of the waters they usually fish.

Because baitcasters handle heavier line better than spinning reels, IMO, you won't see too many coffee grinders on tour.

And because their presentations need to be precise, you can control sailing baits a lot better with a baitcaster, as well as flip and pitch baits into tight spots, better than you can with a spinning reel.

Thanks bro! When I bass fish the summer, mostly at DVL, do you recommend nothing less than 10 lb test as well?

DarkShadow
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks bro! When I bass fish the summer, mostly at DVL, do you recommend nothing less than 10 lb test as well?

Well, see, that's where the fun part begins. DVL contains some very pressured fish, and if you mix that with the clear water the lake tends to have during the summer, I believe the secret to my success there has been the light line.

Some people will laugh at the fact that I run with 3.5# fluorocarbon on a 1000 sized spinning reel, but sometimes that is the drastic measures one needs to take in order to get those fish to bite.

Just like golf, to be a successful bass fisherman, you'll need to have several different rods and reels for the job. During the summer, I'll go out there with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 25 if I'm throwing a big swimbait.

So, the answer to your question is a 'yes,' but do realize that you may have to scale down in order to get bit. That can mean the difference between roping fish, and wondering why only certain people are getting the fish to go.

Nessie Hunter
03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Just my Opinion and experience here, for what its worth...

Spinning is more of a very light finesse rig for Light (shallow) drop shot, weightless and worming etc.
Hard to cast light stuff on a baitcaster.

Heavier rigs 3/8 oz?? & up have more cast control with a baitcaster & the weight to get it out there on the cast..

I didnt catch the show but its winter/cold and bass are deeper/slower, ergo heavier rigs.
Jigs, spoons, bigger worms worked slow on Texas & Carolina rigs etc, some slow spinnner baits etc..
Work on Baitcasters better...

Also those guys dont play around.. They power the fish to the boat... Baicasters have (mostly in the past) had stronger drags for hook sets and powering the fish, for control in structure and getting it done Fast!!
You will also see the Pros use spinning rigs for light warmer water (Shallow) presentations..

I change it up.
Mostly due to the rods I use for each reel. My spinning rods have lighter softer tips for launching the lighter weights..
Baitcast rods are stiffer, Faster and work better for the heavier stuff..

I have said it before, the fish dont give a crap, its whats easy and what you have confidence in the most..

DarkShadow
03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I have said it before, the fish dont give a crap, its whats easy and what you have confidence in the most..

While I like the philosophy, you do have to admit that if you bring a knife to a gun fight, I don't care how much confidence you have in your knifing abilities, and how easy it may be to use the knife, you may be wondering what happened when you're meeting St. Peter.

The fish may not give a crap, but believe me, you'll end up giving a crap when he drags you into bushes and trees you because the tackle doesn't match the situation at hand.

Nessie Hunter
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I like the challenge..
I normally Drop Shot Bass with 4# line...
I know you use 3 1/2 # line, so Bite me!!! lol
We must be Ninja Commando's sneaking in to catch the Gun toting bass!!! lol

Fire Ball
03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
People have given you some good information so far, so I don't really need to go into your question.
If I were you, I would pick up a baitcasting setup and try it out. I don't know it is just me, but I will NOT throw any kind of hardbait on spinning gear. It is just awful to do that. Worms and light stuff, I like to throw on spinning gear, but jigs, jerkbaits, topwaters, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc. I will only throw on baitcasting gear.

WormFisher
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
DarkShadow is not fooling around with the 3.5 lb line. I saw him pull in back to back 6lb DVL bass on it. One of the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

DarkShadow
03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
I saw him pull in back to back 6lb DVL bass on it....

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7913/024nv.jpg

Ahh, the memories, eh?

BassFreak
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I have more confidence in good 3.5# line than 12# Berkley Vanish!