PDA

View Full Version : Fairmount Park - Poor Fishing Conditions, but Getting Better

Rapala17
03-07-2011, 09:57 PM
This weekend I went to Fairmount Park twice to see how the fishing conditions were now that it was March and the beginning of the spawn season. Just as I have previously posted on some reports from Fairmount Park, I have waited until now to go there and check out the water levels, clarity, and conditions of the lakes after the El Nino season we recently endured.

This weekend was some of the most beautiful weather we have had so far in 2011. The park looked great and the lake looked promising from afar. Below is a picture of Evans Lake with the snow topped mountains in the back ground.

I decided to go casually fish the lake and see how deep the water levels were around the three lakes and their difference in water clarity (not expecting a single catch). Fairmount Lake had dirty water conditions because the wind was moving the debris into that section of the lake and was the deepest; Evans Lake had moderate yet dirty conditions because all the trees are dormant from the Fall and have continuously shed their dead leaves/needles, and was the most shallow; Brown Lake had the best clarity out of the three lakes and seemed to be deeper than Evans. Below is a picture of Evans Lake water clarity and my bait that is about 6 inches under the surface (I was throwing a Chartreuse Booyah Double Strike Spinnerbait).

According to my estimation, the beginning of April will be the birth of the spawn in Southern California lakes. Giving Fairmount about one more month for the slit and derbis to settle to the bottom of the lake to provide better clarity. We have some very inconsistent weather coming up and the waters all around So Cal are under 60 degrees. Once they go up closer to 70 degrees, the Bass fishing will be awesome!

Hope you enjoyed the local park update and have a good time fishing out there!

Bent Rods for Life,
Rapala17

bassgrabber1
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I went there on Sunday for 3 hours and got skunked. The weather was just perfect. Thanx for sharing.

CPT. Kirk
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your report and photos good info to keep in mind I hope to get over there soon.

old pudd fisher
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks 'Rapala' I need to get there more often, It's only 4 miles from my house.

Rapala17
04-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I was right on my prediction, haha!

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17