PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Irvine= great success! Sunday 3/6/11

JAG107
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
After a so-so Saturday at Skinner, I got the go ahead from the Mrs to have a day 2 fishing, so I decided it was high time to try out the Vine. I live 2 miles from Corona Lake, so that's where I was fishing regularly til this year, I just got sick of the bait n wait game. Trolling is my fav and is a big no go at Corona with how small/shallow/snag city it is. Anyway, got in line about 5:30 and was like oh crap, so many cars, it would take an hour to get in at Corona with all these people...:EyePop:
How about 10 minutes. The Vine staff directing traffic, even with the poor guy getting his sick Tracker stuck in the gate for a while didn't really slow things down too much.
Big ups also to you guys who can back your boat down a ramp in good time, no mistakes by anyone--I've seen LITERALLY 45 minute launch attempts at other lakes, you guys all know how to handle a trailer!
On the troll at 6:25 headed down the west shore about 50-75 feet from shore, 20 mins into it get SLAMMED on my 5 lb line rod with the hot steel Xrap. TOOOOOAD it's my PB trout, 4 lbs 4 oz. Not the best fight in it, just a stub of a tail but stoked enough! 5 mins later get another hit, turns out to be a 1 lb 4 oz crappie on the 04 xrap brown trout! Cool! 5 mins later, another hit on the brown trout rap, but this one shook me off 10 feet from the boat. The water was clear enough I could see it was a good 2-3lbs, boy I was mad. Made the pass across the dam, went down the east side, all for nothing. Everything caught today was on the west shore. After lunch, I polished off my limit by 2 with another 4 lber, 2 @ 3lbs, and a 2lber, ALL on the brown trout xrap. Such a great lake, I friggin love this place! Everyone was very cool, other boaters were real good about avoiding snags and line crossing, I didn't snag anybody all day which I thought was a miracle with so many boats out there. Super friendly gang out there, can't wait to get back and slay em some more.
Oh the 4 lbers were both steelies, the other 3 bows. The 2nd 4 lber had a full tail like it was wild, and it was the drag ripper of the day. I thought it was gonna bust me off of 6lb line!
Thanks for reading, see you guys out there.

Rooster
03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Great report. Glad to hear things are still going well out there. Props

troutdog
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Great read Jag, congrats on the pb trout!

TD

Marine_Michael
03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Great report, pics would be nice for those of us who can't make it out there.

Josh
03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
great job man. The vine has been killer on the troll this year.

JAG107
03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
OK here's a couple quick pics from the driveway (I didn't have my camera at the lake unfortunately):
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=28917
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=28916

Look at the BIG brooms on the 4 and 3 lbers! The 4lber with the giant tail was shooting out huge eggs, poor girl was a spawner! Holdover maybe? Definitely didn't look like a fresh truck trout...

Thisfool
03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
nice man looks like your second and third fish down from the top are hold overs. last year the water came up high enough that there were tons of hold overs they put up a awesome fight and really will put a stretch in your line.

yea with only a few times being at the other lakes IMHO Irvine lake doesn't seem to get as many noobies or first timers and you will also see many of the same faces every single weekend.

but yea the vine has really stepped it up with the line buy allowing people to prepay there entrance fee in the tackle shop before the gates open.

JAG107
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
nice man looks like your second and third fish down from the top are hold overs. last year the water came up high enough that there were tons of hold overs they put up a awesome fight and really will put a stretch in your line.

yea with only a few times being at the other lakes IMHO Irvine lake doesn't seem to get as many noobies or first timers and you will also see many of the same faces every single weekend.

but yea the vine has really stepped it up with the line buy allowing people to prepay there entrance fee in the tackle shop before the gates open.

I didn't know you could prepay, no wonder I saw so many guys showing up at their cars at 5:45 with burritos, and then blowing by the gate. What a great professional setup they have, very refreshing to see such a dialed in establishment. I'll be back for sure. The GREAT trolling prospects will keep me coming back for years. Will see you guys out there in a couple weeks, cheers!

Thisfool
03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I didn't know you could prepay, no wonder I saw so many guys showing up at their cars at 5:45 with burritos, and then blowing by the gate. What a great professional setup they have, very refreshing to see such a dialed in establishment. I'll be back for sure. The GREAT trolling prospects will keep me coming back for years. Will see you guys out there in a couple weeks, cheers!

awesome i glad to see you are converting to a Vine-head.

also for your trolling path try cutting across mid lake from point of sierra cove to the point of trout island. a lot of good fish get caught out in mid lake

5150fishn
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Glad to see that your first trip to the Vine was prosperous. Now you see why so many of us are Vine addicts.
See you on the water.

Sue
03-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Great report, and glad you love the Vine as much as the rest of us do! :D

JAG107
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
awesome i glad to see you are converting to a Vine-head.

also for your trolling path try cutting across mid lake from point of sierra cove to the point of trout island. a lot of good fish get caught out in mid lake

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure and try that! I'm gonna shoot for Sunday the 20th for my next trip, think it'll be fished out after the Sport Chalet tourney on the 19th?

Oh, I forgot to mention just how many huge marks I saw on the finder, all up and down the west shore. I've honestly never seen so many big fish holed up on any lake before like that. Crazy!