PDA

View Full Version : grunion runs?

Mornin_Wood
03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know of beaches that are consistent? I've been going to a beach next to Belmont pier in long beach for about 3 years, and I've only had a decent run twice. Then again i don't go often, but more than enough to know i should move beaches or move dates. I do follow the theory of going on the 2nd or 3rd nights of the phase according to the DFG's calendar of expected runs. Also to clarify I do NOT pick up the grunions making little checks on the beach i wait until the whole group gets busy. I'm also positive others partaking in the event do not as well. The few reasons why i still continue to go to this beach is because on expected runs the place is packed, plus local police actually know about it and keep the beach open a little bit longer for the expected run to be finished. plus a few other reasons.

Famous Ticketz
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
i been to La Jolla a few years back, but great topic, i want to take my kids this year..

Mornin_Wood
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
is La Jolla active? i wouldn't mind making a run down there if in town.

DockRat
03-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Best thing about Grunion is the fish that come in shallow.
Halibut, Rays, Sharks and maybe a few Striped Bass for Mark.

I have noticed that the DFG site below is different than the predictions in the Tide Book.
This is the same surfers tide book we have used since the 70's
They have Free ones on the counter of Cabrillo Way Marina on Miner St off 22nd St, San Pedro
2 Days Difference ???

Which one is more accurate ???

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/grunionschedule.asp

DFG Website March - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tide Book NOAA March
4 Fr 9:15 p.m. - 11:15 p.m.
5 Sa 9:40 p.m. - 11:40 p.m.
6 Su 10:00 p.m. - Midnight - - - - - - - - 6 Su 10:00 pm - 12:00 am
7 Mo 10:25 p.m. - 12:25 a.m.* - - - - - - 7 M 10:24 pm - 12:24 am
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 8 Tu 10:50 pm - 12:50 am
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 9 W 11:21 pm - 1:21 am
19 Sa 10:00 p.m. - Midnight
20 Su 10:35 p.m. - 12:35 a.m.*
21 Mo 11:15 p.m. - 1:15 a.m.* - - - - - - - Same BS, next wave of Grunion starts
22 Tu Midnight - 2:00 a.m.* - - - - - - - - 2 days later in the small tide book, WTF
- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - This pattern continues throught the years predictions ???

The best runs normally occur on the second and third nights of the four-night period.

OF WHICH PREDICTIONS ???

Note: The times given for each date reflect the probable two-hour interval during which a spawning run may occur. The second hour is usually better. The best runs normally occur on the second and third nights of the four-night period.
The times refer to the grunion runs at Cabrillo Beach near the Los Angeles Harbor entrance. The timing of the runs varies at different places along the coast. San Diego runs occur about 5 minutes earlier and Santa Barbara runs occur about 25 minutes later than the times provided here.

Times through March 7 are Pacific Standard Time. Thereafter, times are Pacific Daylight Saving Time.

REMINDER: During the open season, a fishing license is required for persons 16 years and older. Grunion may be taken by hand only. No holes may be dug in the beach to entrap them. There is no bag limit, but take only what you can use - it is unlawful and unethical to waste fish.

Real Fishermen Want to Know !!!
DR

DockRat
03-08-2011, 05:27 AM
The best runs normally occur on the second and third nights of the four-night period.

Could this be true because the predictions are 2 DAYS OFF ???

This sentence above is on DFG site and also in the tide book ? WTF
DR

DockRat
03-08-2011, 05:45 AM
I do follow the theory of going on the 2nd or 3rd nights of the phase according to the DFG's calendar of expected runs.

Of Which Prediction ? Could the Tide Book be more accurate ?

' I See Waves Of Grunion on March 23 at 1:30 am '

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/dezilwa/Dragons/Crystal_Ball_by_Anne_Stokes.jpghttp://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac119/MarchMadness/Decorated%20images/crystlball.gif

Mornin_Wood
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I used to follow the tide book until my friend brought up a different date(DFG) for the runs a few years ago. At that time I was skeptical because we had a great run a couple weeks back on the tide book. The issue was the the tide book gave us a date that was nonexistent on the dfg website of expected runs. We decided to go out that night anyway and didn't see any activity in the surf. So that sold it for me to stay with the dfg site. Maybe the dates that over lap are better?

DockRat
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
I used to follow the tide book until my friend brought up a different date(DFG) for the runs a few years ago. At that time I was skeptical because we had a great run a couple weeks back on the tide book. The issue was the the tide book gave us a date that was nonexistent on the dfg website of expected runs. We decided to go out that night anyway and didn't see any activity in the surf. So that sold it for me to stay with the dfg site. Maybe the dates that over lap are better?

Thanks for the info. I have brought this topic up on other sites and
nobody is aware of this and no responses.
DR