PDA

View Full Version : Saturday, 3/5/2011 - my first trip out as captain

Josh
03-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I had been telling my friend karl about the fishing at irvine for a while, he's the one who turned me on to FNN. Since he was coming down this weekend I told him I'd take him out for the day down at the vine since I'd been having such good luck there and since he'd never been trolling or really fished from a boat for that matter.

We got to the lake around 3:30 am to find there was already a decent line. We rigged our gear and talked for a bit, he was stoked to be there and looked forward to the fishing and I was pretty stoked as well given I was in the driver seat for this trip.

Not long after TaperSteve showed up and I had already seen SeeChrisFish up at the front of the line. So after some chit-chat and introductions they opened the gates, we had our passes and boat and were out on the water around 6:30.

We headed up the west shore and just before the dam I got bit, it turned out to be a large mouth bass and he was summarily released, about 5 minutes later I get hit again and it was a decent 2 lb rainbow. We headed across the damn and down the cliffs without another bite until we got back into the flats. This time I get hit again and I let karl pull the fish in, it was a nice 1lb. crappie.

We didn't get anything else in the flats and Tapersteve had given me a call saying that they were biting good on the west shore. So, we headed back up that way and sure enough the bite was hot. We pulled 2 fish each on the first pass and karl lost a nice one.

After another pass and no bite we headed in to grab some food at the cafe. By this time a lot of people had pulled in leaving the west shore a little less crowded. We again headed back up through and hadn't been bit so we decided to give the cliffs another run. We ended up getting bit on that pass and each karl pulled in two more 'bows, I got one and lost one at the net, it was my bad though, karl had just caught one and was working to get the lure out of the net so I tried to flip the fish into the boat. It didn't work out as plan.

We headed back in around 4:30. The biggest fish of the day was 3.5 lbs, the rest were all around 2 lbs and the final count was 7 trout and 1 crappie. It was another excellent day of fishing and I succeeded in putting my friend on fish without any attrocities occurring.

As we reached the dock we ran into Hometown, it was nice to finally meet in person man and I am definitely down for hitting the salt with ya sometime, he gave us a hand getting all our stuff to the car and after some chit-chat we headed home. I'll have to load up the pics and get em posted, just too tired from all the fishing LOL.

TaperSteve
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Good times and great fishing @ the Vine! WTG guys!

TS

5150fishn
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Good job getting your bro on some fish. It is always a great feeling to actually be able to produce when the time calls for it. Nice report "captain".

Josh
03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
thanks guys. It was a good feeling to get out there. Like I've said I had some good teachers when it comes to dialing in the lake and it was really cool to get him out there and on the fish. At the end of the day he said he didn't think he could do the bait and wait thing again. Now to get him out there with his float tube.

See Chris Fish
03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice to see you, Captain!!!

Great job getting Karl onto the fish. Nice to meet you, Karl.

Josh
03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice to see you, Captain!!!

Great job getting Karl onto the fish. Nice to meet you, Karl.

how'd you do out there?

Hometown
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Josh it was great seeing you at the Lake. Im glad you were able to get on the fish it was also a pleasure to meet Carl.Hope to see you both agian soon.

Troutman65
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Nice going on your catch . Thanks for the report :Cool:

trail blazer
03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Great report!

CONGRATS!

TRAIL BLAZER

dfisher
03-07-2011, 06:49 PM
nice trifecta, good day it sounds like!

Rooster
03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Your on a roll bro, Was hoping to hear about a maden voyage from your new vesel . Did you get a chance to get it on the water yet? Props on the report and getting your bud on fish

Josh
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Your on a roll bro, Was hoping to hear about a maden voyage from your new vesel . Did you get a chance to get it on the water yet? Props on the report and getting your bud on fish

Since mine only holds me, myself and I, I haven't got out on it save for one day up to santa fe dam. I am thinking of getting out to the vine with it this weekend and really giving it a workout.

See Chris Fish
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
how'd you do out there?

It was all about my daughter, Rachel. We were getting hit all over the lake, but the fish were shaking off the lures a lot.
She managed to bring in 3 trout. Her first was a 4.5 lbs. A personal best for her. Then she gets a 5.2, and then a 5.8 lber!!!!! Nice way to upgrade the fish, girl!!!! I was so proud of her. She did everything but net and tie on the lures.
Now she's all talking smack about the next tourney. I've created a monster!!!!

Josh
03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
It was all about my daughter, Rachel. We were getting hit all over the lake, but the fish were shaking off the lures a lot.
She managed to bring in 3 trout. Her first was a 4.5 lbs. A personal best for her. Then she gets a 5.2, and then a 5.8 lber!!!!! Nice way to upgrade the fish, girl!!!! I was so proud of her. She did everything but net and tie on the lures.
Now she's all talking smack about the next tourney. I've created a monster!!!!

LOL. Glad she got some fish and there's nothing wrong with creating a monster like that!