PDA

View Full Version : Shore fishing questions?

Pigeon381
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I got a few questions, i want to surf fish Bolsa chica, I park by Jack In The Box where are some good spots? Also I got a krocodile spoon what is the best way to use it?Thanks for your guys help.

tomah
03-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Let the croc sink and slow roll it

smokehound
03-05-2011, 10:53 PM
It's a good spot, but be careful, especially near the outlet jetties, the rip currents here are astronomically dangerous. Not trying to scare you or anything. if you know what to expect with rips, and know how to I.D. them, it's not that bad.

I'd say they're even more dangerous than at the wedge!

krocs work well, but keep in mind larger baits= less fish.

if you just want an outing where you can catch fish, regardless of size, I'd go with a kastmaster, that's a good all-species lure.

When surf-fishing, it's important to let the waves help you bring fish in. Dont just try to pull the fish in non-stop, waves will pull the fish back out, this is a true battle, since both you AND the fish have the same advantage.

You're gonna have some fun, surf-fishing rocks. You never know what you'll catch.

Surfer
03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
What are you trying to catch? Halibut?

smokehound
03-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh, my bad, I got caught up in describing the area, etc. hahaha. Skywalker hash... 8D

Krocs are fairly versatile, I just crank it slowly, the churning water is enough to keep it off the bottom when retrieved at a "slow-medium" pace.

Sometimes, however, the Kroc will hang up on itself, eliminating the action, and turning it into dead weight. When this happens, What -I- like to do, is (without it leaving the water) "jiggle" the kroc erratically, until it comes loose. I cant tell you how many times i've had massive strikes, but no hook-up, due to the hook getting stuck. Freaking pisses me off X( I lost a really really nice bonito because of that. Watched it strike, then spit it out. Then even worse, the dude next to me catches it with live bait!

I just crank it in at variable speeds. I usually get hit around the slow-medium speed. Though I've caught plenty of fish burning it so fast, i can see a bubble behind it.

Sometimes fish are crashing into a swift ball of mackerel, which are MUCH faster than anchovies or sardines. In this case, its best to burn it in, then suddenly slow down. Mimic what they're eating the BEST you can!

Color isnt always that important, unless you need a faithful reproduction of a species, in the case that a fish is just too smart for a simple trick.

Like I said, Krocs are versatile. Always a good weapon for your arsenal. They work on freshwater bass, too!

My favorite Krocs-- Green Chrome, and Blue Chrome. Plain silver is always good.

Pigeon381
03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tips, i might also try a LC.

Pigeon381
03-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Are there any minnow lures that are comparable with lc and arent as expensive, and also are freshwater and slatwater the same? i have the bass pro shop xps model minnow, just wondering if that will work on the shore