PDA

View Full Version : tube roookie

gogreeenz4
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
if i want to sit above the water do i want and open front or round tube? ive seen up where you like waist deep in the water i was tripn but which would would i want if i want to be sitting above water kinda

Socal Bassman
03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
You'd want something like a Fish Cat 4 or ODC 420. Both of these tubes you sit out of the water. I have one of the older Fish Cat 4 and I'd say the waterline is just a little below my knees. I'm sure that there are other tubes where you sit above the water as well.

gogreeenz4
03-04-2011, 03:10 PM
You'd want something like a Fish Cat 4 or ODC 420. Both of these tubes you sit out of the water. I have one of the older Fish Cat 4 and I'd say the waterline is just a little below my knees. I'm sure that there are other tubes where you sit above the water as well.

i was thinkn like a cheap white river float pump and fins for like 80 to 100 bucks which one would you recomend

Surfnsnowboard3
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
i was thinkn like a cheap white river float pump and fins for like 80 to 100 bucks which one would you recomend

Take my advice bro, DON'T GET the White River. It sits WAY low in the water and way too small. I returned it to Bass Pro Shops. I bought a ODC 420 from Cabelas and LOVE IT. It sits high in the water. I have also used my friends Fish Cat 4 and that is awesome. Both equally comparable in my opinion. I'd search for a used one on here. The ODC you can find online with pump and fins for 160 or so.

Let me know if you have any questions!

crtfisher
03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
listen to their advise. I used to use a caddis nevada gold u shapped float tube. honestly, it sat way too low on the water and was a pain to move around in. I recently upgraded to a fishcat 4 and I can honestly say it was the best thing I could ever have done. It cuts through the wateer nicely and turns on a dime. Any tear shaped float tube should be good.

fever
03-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Save your money and get the fishcat or the 420 if you want to be up out of the water. That being said, I have 2 Togiaks, my son who weighs 135# sits pretty high (not fishcat high but not bad) Im at 215 and sit lower.

CPT. Kirk
03-14-2011, 08:12 PM
I also have a togiak and sit high but I agree not as high as the Fishcat I have had my tube for a few years and it has served me well it is V shaped and moves through the water well but if I had a chance to buy another Tube it would be a Fishcat. At the time I bought my Togiak it was about $40 cheaper then the Fishcat.

gogreeenz4
03-15-2011, 10:00 AM
i was lookn at the togiak and the 420 but i just dont know which way to go value or quality..tought choices considering i know this is just the tip of the ice berg i need fins and anchor and net and 2 or 3 rod holders kinda like the outcast rod rack i dea

gogreeenz4
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
i was wondering if the storage amount is alike in the togiak and fishcat 4? the togiak looks like it has great storage

LBSea
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Dude,
Don't strees that much over the decision. First of all get the V style vs. the potooon style. The V style like the ODC420 will sit much higher than the pontoon and thet makes all the differance in the world when you have been kicking around for a solid 5 hours. The V style is much less effected by currents than the pontoon and also scoots arcoss the water much faster. Storage on the ODC & Fish Cat are almost the same. The difference between the Fish Cat and the ODC that I do not like is the Fish Cat filler valves are behind you and out of reach when you are on the water vs. the ODC which are in your side storage pockets and very easy to get to. Why is this important? Like any tuber has found out - tubes do leak air, not all the time but they all do eventually. Most of my tubing buddies carry a small tube in their side pocket as backup for emergencies and you can fill your float tube with it when on the water. I have one friend that has never fixed a leak in his tubes and relys soley on this tube each trip. If you do have problems with your ODC you can send it to PK in the service dept. at ODC and he will send you new parts free. I am sure both V style tubes work as well but that is why I like ODC. You can usually find one on the boards or Craigs List for right around $100.00. Yes they are durable and will last many tyeasr if taken care of and rinsed off after each trip. Now stop stressing, get a tube and let us know how many fish you caught on your first trip and how you can not believe you did not do this sooner!

LBSea

gogreeenz4
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Dude,
Don't strees that much over the decision. First of all get the V style vs. the potooon style. The V style like the ODC420 will sit much higher than the pontoon and thet makes all the differance in the world when you have been kicking around for a solid 5 hours. The V style is much less effected by currents than the pontoon and also scoots arcoss the water much faster. Storage on the ODC & Fish Cat are almost the same. The difference between the Fish Cat and the ODC that I do not like is the Fish Cat filler valves are behind you and out of reach when you are on the water vs. the ODC which are in your side storage pockets and very easy to get to. Why is this important? Like any tuber has found out - tubes do leak air, not all the time but they all do eventually. Most of my tubing buddies carry a small tube in their side pocket as backup for emergencies and you can fill your float tube with it when on the water. I have one friend that has never fixed a leak in his tubes and relys soley on this tube each trip. If you do have problems with your ODC you can send it to PK in the service dept. at ODC and he will send you new parts free. I am sure both V style tubes work as well but that is why I like ODC. You can usually find one on the boards or Craigs List for right around $100.00. Yes they are durable and will last many tyeasr if taken care of and rinsed off after each trip. Now stop stressing, get a tube and let us know how many fish you caught on your first trip and how you can not believe you did not do this sooner!

LBSea

thanks for the info but im lookn at the togiak and the fishcat 4 i dont want a n odc and i was askn to compare storage on the togiak and fishcat 4

Socal Bassman
03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I would say that the storage between the togiak, fishcat 4, and ODC 420 are about the same. However, Outcast makes a bag that's intended to strap onto the back of the seat on pontoon boats. I bought one and it fits perfectly on my Fishcat 4. This gives me extra storage plus two water bottle holders. Not sure if it will work on the backrest of the Togiak. Also, the togiak has a 1 year warranty. Whereas the fishcat 4 has a 5 year warranty. Something to think about.

gogreeenz4
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I would say that the storage between the togiak, fishcat 4, and ODC 420 are about the same. However, Outcast makes a bag that's intended to strap onto the back of the seat on pontoon boats. I bought one and it fits perfectly on my Fishcat 4. This gives me extra storage plus two water bottle holders. Not sure if it will work on the backrest of the Togiak. Also, the togiak has a 1 year warranty. Whereas the fishcat 4 has a 5 year warranty. Something to think about.

so call bass man your just helpd me out largely and i apperciate your info very much

LBSea
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Tube Rookie,
So what did you end up buying or did you?