PDA

View Full Version : Resorting to duct crappie 3-3

cutbait
03-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer, Gatblood and I set out in search of something. Took bait rods, Striper gear, and crappie rigs.

Kitties sucked, stripers still in lockjaw...

But the super tuper top secret hole for slabs put out some for Gatblood to fry up.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2011-03-03_21-59-42_726.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2011-03-03_22-57-14_621.jpg

Thisfool
03-03-2011, 11:44 PM
wow man those some nice slabs

yolo
03-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Good pan frying meat there.

Lucky Lager
03-04-2011, 01:00 PM
looks like there's a bluegill mixed in there too??

trail blazer
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
looks like there's a bluegill mixed in there too??

yep,,,,,,,,,,1 bigole gill was cought by cutbait also to SWEETEN the pot!

That spot is a trip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Big slabs/only at night/gills too/and its right out of the duct water,,Kinda cool actually.

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
You guys seeing any minnows or perch at night? I am not seeing anything during the day here or when over the hill. Water was really murky in 166 area I was at on Tuesday. Drove over the duct today coming home from work and it looked dirtier than earlier in the week here. That 166 water we saw Tuesday must have made its way down here finally.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
there MUST be bloood !

Saweet...nice work on getting the action guys.....

Now stay away from that crappie slot : )

Ahhh ha ha ha

Way ta roll.....but U should slay some TROUT next !

Lucky Lager
03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
yep,,,,,,,,,,1 bigole gill was cought by cutbait also to SWEETEN the pot!

That spot is a trip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Big slabs/only at night/gills too/and its right out of the duct water,,Kinda cool actually.

very cool. i'd love to have a gill spot around here.

You guys seeing any minnows or perch at night? I am not seeing anything during the day here or when over the hill. Water was really murky in 166 area I was at on Tuesday. Drove over the duct today coming home from work and it looked dirtier than earlier in the week here. That 166 water we saw Tuesday must have made its way down here finally.

yea! where have all the bait fish gone :???: the water was flowing nicely out here today.....until i got there. damn gates shut about 5min after i showed up. water murked up when the flow stopped, and i started pulling up moss. not much, but still

yolo
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I noticed the moss a few weeks ago. I bet it's going to be a very mossy spring and summer. All the nutrients that came with the "dirty" water from all the rain and runoff Cali had is going to bloom like crazy I think. Should be interesting fishing it when it arrives in mass. Not looking forward to it at all.

smokehound
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
....Crappie in the duct? Black Crappie in the duct? Dude, that's crazy. Wow this proved me wrong. I always thought black crappie hated swift water..

Now I gotta go say I was wrong... X( I HATE BEING WRONG DAMNIT!!!

TroutOnly
03-06-2011, 07:27 AM
NICE CRAPPIES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
....Crappie in the duct? Black Crappie in the duct? Dude, that's crazy. Wow this proved me wrong. I always thought black crappie hated swift water..

Now I gotta go say I was wrong... X( I HATE BEING WRONG DAMNIT!!!

Smoke, I would agree with you that they do hate swift water, but my dad and all the old time duct guys tell stories of the duct being Crappie rich. LMB and gills too. Once the stripers showed they all disappeared. Seems like they are making a comeback withing the past 3-4 years. Believe it or not, Trailblazer has seen Sturgeon caught in the duct

Heck, I know of two DD class LMB caught within the past month and half.

Everyone of these crappie are caught in dead water. The key is to find the dead water spots. Hint...... bay's

yolo
03-07-2011, 06:37 AM
I hope that cycle of the other species coming back makes it down to the AV. I am seeing signs of it. I saw LMB last year in slack water. Even saw schools of 6 or so which I have not seen in a very long time. I have heard of a few crappie being caught locally and saw one swimming the concrete edge lip a few months ago and there was a small school of silversides lined up about 20 feet from it. Maybe waiting for a meal?

smokehound
03-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Smoke, I would agree with you that they do hate swift water, but my dad and all the old time duct guys tell stories of the duct being Crappie rich. LMB and gills too. Once the stripers showed they all disappeared. Seems like they are making a comeback withing the past 3-4 years. Believe it or not, Trailblazer has seen Sturgeon caught in the duct

Heck, I know of two DD class LMB caught within the past month and half.

Everyone of these crappie are caught in dead water. The key is to find the dead water spots. Hint...... bay'sAwesome. Good going on the slabs. Thanks for the tip.