PDA

View Full Version : Wind?

DHarris
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I fish Irvine fairly regularly and have started going to corona now as well. Which ever lake I go to I always rent a boat. 90% of the time the conditions are great and I have an awesome time but occasionally the wind picks up and makes being on the water very difficult.

I've been itching to get out on the water ASAP and figured I'd be smart by checking the forecast for wind conditions on the lakes. After doing so I realized that I really have no clue forecasted mph's relate to in terms of real on the water conditions.

For those of you with experience boating these lakes, can anyone tell me what I should consider a pain and what's not really that much.

I live in LA so I don't want to spend an hour or so and $75 to get out on the water and have to fight the conditions. Where should I draw the line as far as when it is or isn't worth hitting the water.

Am thinking of going out tomorrow but see the report is for 7-10 mph winds. Is that a lot or not?

Thanks a lot for the advice!

oomicha3loo
03-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I have never rented a boat from irvine so idk what the condition of the boat is. But 7-10 mph winds is normal for my 20 footer but i think 7-10 is fine for a smaller boat. the best way is to call in and check before you drive down

Thisfool
03-03-2011, 11:50 PM
well part of the problem is the forecast is not always 100% accurate so the forecast could call for 2mph with 10mph gust but when you get on the water there is no breeze and the gust might only be about 4mph.

with that said i have been on the water (i only really fish Irvine) when it is suppose to be 5-10mph and it is no big deal at all.

also due to the surrounding landscape winds might be different then forecaster. like at Irvine if there is suppose to be a strong onshore wind it doesn't really affect Irvine due to the cannon but the Santa Ana winds wipe threw the vine like a wind tunnel.

karalm
03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
I have been to Irvine many times and always are in a boat. I will not go when anything like a Santa Ana is called out in the weather forcast. Irvine just sits above the pass where the highest clocking wind speeds occur and no fun in a rentel. Anything else from 0-10mph is OK. One you get 15 and above, no fun as you generally get blown around w/ a 5 horsepwr kicker on the back of a light Aluminum boat - IMO :Smile:

DHarris
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it's those gusts that bother me. A slight breeze is fine by me. I am kind of regretting that I didn't go this morning as it looks gorgeous but just couldn't get up. Am hopeful for next week but I'm seeing 20mph gusts....
We'll see.

Thanks again

Marley
03-05-2011, 03:15 PM
If you're trolling, 20 is about as hard as you want it in a rental and is probably pushing the limit. Probably too hard for getting an anchor to hold in that deep water. Woody's cove, find a shallow spot, you might be okay with a lot of scope.
As a rule, Irvine Lake is no place you want to be in a boat when the wind is blowing, and you probably are better off sleeping in all together. Not that the fish won't bite, it's just dangerous on the water and uncomfortable on the shore. Ditto SARL.
Corona is better as it's much more shallow and your anchors will work better. Less effected by wind, but it does get windy. A certain south Orange County Regional Park lake is a great destination when the winds are blowing...

dixoncider
03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I would agree that 20 knots of wind would be the cut-off after that it not much fun anyways...here is a good link for weather at Irvine.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.77458136371689&lon=-117.71781921386719&site=lox&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text