PDA

View Full Version : Bassin with Don Spencer

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Hey gang!
Its been a while since I posted, so I think its due. I have still been fishing, but a ton of practice for upcoming tournaments. Better to keep the score off the boards for that :Secret:

First day testing the Save Phace SUM masks at Irvine. Sure beats rain in the face!! I have even been wearing it when its warm on fast runs. That way my eyes don't burn at the end of the day and my face doesn't get chapped. I absolutely love the SUM masks.

Anyway, got a call from my mentor, Don Spencer about another coaching/guide trip at the Vine. Turns out he had an angagement after the lake, so we took my boat out. Sorry its no Ranger Don :LOL: It seems nowmatter how well you know a lake, there are still people who look at it with a completely different perspective. Mr. Spencer seems to know every rock pile, weedline and piece of structure on that lake! That proved to be valuable information as you read on.

We fished multiple depths from 40' in the morning to 2-10'. The small male "clone" models, or "Buck Bass" as Don calls them are coming in to scout beds and spawning areas for the females. We even saw a bass with a huge bite mark on its tail, as if a huge bass had it in its mouth at some point. Fighting over spawning sites, no doubt.

We hauled in close to 20 fish for the day, mostly 1-2 lbr's. Most fish caught on small plastics, carolina rigs, drop shot and jigs.

Highlight of the day.....Don took me to one of his ultra favorite big fish spots. Don was tossing a jig in 50' of water, while I was on the drop shot and jig. I ended up with one clone on the drop shot and Don set the hook on something that REALLY loaded up his rod! As soon as he set the hook, he knew it was a pig. The fish came partly out of the water and he said "could be a 10" Don wanted to just grab it, but I insisted on the net (I hate losing fish :EyePop:). Once boated, the bucket mouth was enormous, but the belly wasn't full. My digital scale was completely off. I estimated the fish over 9lbs, Irvin'e site listed it at 8.5 to be safe. Either way, what a beautiful animal!! Great job Don!!

All in all , an awesome day on the water!! Donnie is a pleasure to fish with. Its always a mixture of banter and teasing back and forth, but chock full of pearls of wisdom that stay on my mind during my tournaments. If anyone wants to get into bass fishing or just go out and whack some bass for fun, call Donnie!! I promise you, it wil change the way you look at fishing forever. You may even hook into a pig on one of his secret spots!!!

I also want to thank Don Spencer for all he has taught me and continues to help me with. It is my hard work and his teachings that have allowed me to advance so quickly in the world of tournament bass fishing.

On a side note, if you get a chance...check out my article in this month's WON Bass inside the Western Outdoor News, entitled "Choosing the Right Tournament Trail"

I hope to see you at the Fred Hall Show and on the water!!!

Here are a couple of pics. I have video too. Maybe i'll get a chance to update the thread later with that. Enjoy.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/SUM.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/clone.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/dons9.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/dons92.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/donnybass.jpg

KILLA
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Nice HAWG, Looks like tis the season!

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks Killa, It was a sight to see....I'm really looking forward to this summer/spring. Its gonna be ON!

Surfnsnowboard3
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Is that you or Don in the pic with the toad?

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
That's Donnie. Im the one in the mask and also in my avatar with my lady :)

TaperSteve
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM
That mask looks soooo awesome! and that bass Don caught is a beast!

TS

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks Steve. I'll get you a deal on one if you need it. You fish the rain alot. Go to thier site or FB, alot of sick color schemes.

CL SmooV
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice stuff Mav and DS.....

Nice read and pig

TroutOnly
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
nice mav ,you give youre mentor proper props,i hope to read some good reports from you tourney trail this year,,,,if i wasnt so lazy i would do more bass fishing, i loved it as a young man when i had extra energie,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks Smoov

Thanks T/O! its getting a mind of its own now. I'm doing two seperate trails, plus the U.S. open, and all of the sponsor events like the Fred Hall Show and the Bass Pro Shops Spring Classic etc...not all glamour in this sport, but I love it hahaha!!!

TroutOnly
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Hey mav are you working the fred hall show???

Rooster
03-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Thats one beautiful Bass.. Great report and pics. Hope 2 cya out there soon.

Btw Mav, Losing that bass actually saved me about $500 the way i see it... LOL

troutdog
03-03-2011, 01:36 AM
We better get Mav's autograph before the price tag goes up!

WTG out there gents, congrats to Donnie for sticking that piggy....I bet that DD bass is coming your way very soon Mav.

TD

MAVERICK27
03-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Bob, yes I'll be working for Phenix but at Jimmy's outdoors booth. I'll also be at the Angler Bros Bite On booth as time allows.

Scott, thanks. Haha! Only you look at losing bass as a good thing

TD!! I don't know about autographs, but I'm sure having fun out there! I can't wait until Havasu at the end of this month for WON Bass!!