PDA

View Full Version : Double Toad Double Post Double Down! I WIN!

ToadsToadsOnly
03-01-2011, 01:37 AM
I had a horrible fever all day today, fishing fever that is so I hit the local lake for a little night session to cool off the fever. My buddy Jerry told me he caught some nice crappie the day prior so that was one of my targeted species primary target TOAD LMB of course. I hopped around for the first hour or so without a bite so I headed out to an area that some of my buddies have caught numerous Toads. First cast out on the spot with the Ika I feel a thud, swing, fish on! Landed a nice LMB on a Green Ika, 30lb Suffix performance braid, 20lb leader I need a scale…. Going to go buy one this week.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0322.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0320.jpg

Click below to play
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/th_VIDEO0024.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/?action=view&current=VIDEO0024.mp4)

I jump around a couple more spots and settle in to one 1 cast one rod out with a night crawler soaking on 3lb test my luck on crappie and continue to work my Ika. I decided to call it a night and head out at 8:50 so I pack all my gear and start stitching in the crawler. It gets about 3ft from shore when I feel a thud Oh…Yea.. Here we go!! Hookup!!!!!!!!! WTF is this it feels like a swimming log I put as much pressure as I could on the fish and it does not budge. I was doing a little tug a war with the fish for the first 15 min with not much avail honestly I don’t even think the fish knew it was hooked. Then the fish realize realized it was TOADSTOADSONLY on the other end. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ……………………………… ……..the reel screams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is really how my reel sounded x 10 I feel the sheer power of this beast. It just kept going, going, and going I am looking at my spool like Oh Man when is this thing going to stop? I stuck my rod straight up in the air to get a better angle on the fish to try to stop it or turn its head. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ…….!!!! !!!! My reel just keep on screaming I look at my spool and I could see the crome only about 5-10 wraps left. Here we go as I pinch the spool, stick the rod straight in the air, and cross my fingers. Please turn, please turn, please turn. It turns and heads straight back in so I release all the pressure off the fish and let it swim back towards me so the fish will think it snapped me off. I have done this before, with the same species but a Blue monster on 4 lb, I let this beast swim for quite a while making sure I do not put much pressure on it and it just cruises in slowly. When it gets about 15 ft from the shore I tighten up GAME ON again. 40 min later I get her close enough I take my shoes and sox off get in the water try to grab the fish and it makes a run, I get this beast back in I grab this beast and drag the monster onto the shore.

36’’ long 23’’ girth guess how big this cat is it is defiantly the largest fish I have caught on 3lb line.
Yeeeeee hawwwww……>!!!!!!! Super TOAD Flathead Catfish!!!!!!

Bass Released as always
Catfish probably will be dinner for my parents for a month.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0324.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/P2280010.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0329.jpg

click below to play video
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/th_VIDEO0025.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/?action=view&current=VIDEO0025.mp4)

Go out and get um guys,

ToadsToadsOnly

Go big or go home!

Shyliners5
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Damn Jon That's a TOOAD Flattie!!! Is that bigger than the one you got on 4lb test a long time ago??

ToadsToadsOnly
03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Damn Jon That's a TOOAD Flattie!!! Is that bigger than the one you got on 4lb test a long time ago??

You mean this one?
Close but it didnt have as much weight to it as this one.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/Big%20Catfish/Santafedamcatfishedited-1.jpg

chris
03-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Dayyummm, nice fishes. Thats an incredible catch on the 3# way to go

DockRat
03-01-2011, 06:17 AM
:Applause: Impressive !
DR

bman90278
03-01-2011, 06:22 AM
:Applause: Impressive !
DR

For sure!!!!!!!!

CPT. Kirk
03-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Nice post thank you for sharing. Dont you love those Ika's. What did the bass measure?

Troutcz swimbait
03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice,I bet that cat was full of bluegill and baby carp.What was in her belly?

fish4keep
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
if you don't have a scale, just take measurements of the length and girth. if you don't have a measuring tape, take some lines and cut off the measurement. then once you get home, measure the lines to get an estimated weight.......

http://www.myoan.net/fishing/weight_calc.html

dfisher
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
toads for sure.. good job!

MAVERICK27
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
very very cool. Fun read

CL SmooV
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice LMB and kitty......!

TroutOnly
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
CATFISHESONLY,,,,,,,,,,I MEAN MR TOADS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

smooshsh
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
crazy jonathan. is this on the kingline? that is about the last of that line that i have lol.

Marley
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Holy cow! That flathead would have been a good fight on 20-lb. Very impressive that you got it in on the 3-lb. Nice!!!

beaner
03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
so know go buy a lottery ticket lucky ***, what kinda trebles did you say you used? LOL

jerryG
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
NICE FISH Jonathan!!!! You weren't kidding when you told me the cat was big... Not suprised though.. I fish with Toads several times a week and I've been fishing with him for years.. I don't know how he does it.. But he always manages to find the toads toads only...

jerryG
03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
so know go buy a lottery ticket lucky ***, what kinda trebles did you say you used? LOL

Hey Abel he used weighted trebles right? .. LOL..

kvnche
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
nice fishes. which lake did you fish at for that nice flattie?

beaner
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey Abel he used weighted trebles right? .. LOL..

Yeah that had to be the case, now I know how he does it.......

Hi Jerry

ToadsToadsOnly
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah that had to be the case, now I know how he does it.......

Hi Jerry
Dang, busted how'd you know abel I am the only one with tru Ninja skills I could blind snag catfish in the middle of the lake in the dark. Imagine how hard a Toad catfish would fight if it were snagged I think it would spool me on 20. Hurry up and buy your fishing license and start fishing again foo..

gonefishing247
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
That's awesome on 3lb test. Great Job!

jerryG
03-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Dang, busted how'd you know abel I am the only one with tru Ninja skills I could blind snag catfish in the middle of the lake in the dark. Imagine how hard a Toad catfish would fight if it were snagged I think it would spool me on 20. Hurry up and buy your fishing license and start fishing again foo..

Where you been Abel? I know this goes without saying but it must be said. Life is too short and if your not fishing in the end you will back on your time with regret so get out there.

jeff4321
03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
3 lb test, genius! WHO WOULDVE THOUGHT?! nice catch man, this is the first post on FNN in years thats worth a read. good stuff

Wingnut
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Jonathan, great job taking the S.W.A.T. assault into the fresh bro. :Big Grin:
Living up to your screen name, that's for sure!
Beautiful catches and superb job handling that Flattie on light line. :Thumbs Up:
Maybe if I would have taken you up on the invitation, I might have got one myself... :LOL: :Envious:
Hope to fish with you again soon. :Cool:

exfactor
03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Lucky it was a cat. they're pretty docile in the fighting department. Just dog you until they give up. Still a healthy specimen. Looks 20+

flyngby
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Jonathan,

Nice lil night session!

Amasing how them smaller lakes produce some nicer quality fish!

Look forward to hitting the waters with you again soon.

iLLest
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
way to represent S.W.A.T bro! beautiful fish. :EyePop:

that thing is beyond big, monstrous actually. Look at the head on that thing! HUGE! wow dude, If I would have caught that thing, I honestly would have sh*t my pants. I would've called for Arthur lol :ROFL:

you got my blood flowing man, Im currently oiling up my rods and planning on heading out tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration. :Big Grin:

troutdog
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
You never cease to amaze Jonathan, wtg out there dude!

TD

skylarjames2009
03-04-2011, 04:39 AM
:OMG!::Bug Eyes:There must be some Chemical Waste being dumped in that lake those are mutant Catfish.
Good Job Sir :Thumbs Up:
The blue monster is crazy looking that one must of been a trip to land
Heading out right now to do some damage.

ToadsToadsOnly
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Nice post thank you for sharing. Dont you love those Ika's. What did the bass measure?

The Ika's are my go to plastic bait the thing I like about them it is a big fish bait. I did not measure the bass I dont like to keep the fish out of the water to long just a quick wow..., picture, and release.

Nice,I bet that cat was full of bluegill and baby carp.What was in her belly?
Stomach was empty

if you don't have a scale, just take measurements of the length and girth. if you don't have a measuring tape, take some lines and cut off the measurement. then once you get home, measure the lines to get an estimated weight.......

http://www.myoan.net/fishing/weight_calc.html
The formula works great I have used it numerous times and the weight usually is only a couple ounces off. But I did not want to keep the fish out the water, get my measuring tape out, or fishing line then do the formula. I just appreciate catching the fish for what it is weight or not at this time. Until I go buy that scale then you guys will get the weight of every decent fish.

Jonathan, great job taking the S.W.A.T. assault into the fresh bro. :Big Grin:
Living up to your screen name, that's for sure!
Beautiful catches and superb job handling that Flattie on light line. :Thumbs Up:
Maybe if I would have taken you up on the invitation, I might have got one myself... :LOL: :Envious:
Hope to fish with you again soon. :Cool:
Thanks wingnut,
Yea maybe you would of been the lucky one that got the fish, but it was not caught at LMV. See you out there soon bud. When S.W.A.T is in freshwater we change our name we are F.W.A.T lol. Does not sound as good as SWAT but yea...

way to represent S.W.A.T bro! beautiful fish. :EyePop:

that thing is beyond big, monstrous actually. Look at the head on that thing! HUGE! wow dude, If I would have caught that thing, I honestly would have sh*t my pants. I would've called for Arthur lol :ROFL:

you got my blood flowing man, Im currently oiling up my rods and planning on heading out tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration. :Big Grin:
I had to change my boxers after landing that fish. LoL I wish Arthur was there I would of asked him to get in the water and grab it <<FWAT>>

I never knew much about Flathead Catfish and don't know how they got in the local lakes but they are there. After catching this fish I did a little research and realize why not many so cal anglers catch large flathead or flathead in general (other than the canals where live bait is legal). This fish primary food source is live bait fish from 8oz to 2lbs. Flatheads eat Bass, Bluegill, Shad, Crappie, Trout, and even carp I guess we could say they are the shark of most city parks. When flathead spawn they lay anywhere between 8000-90,000 eggs which the male guards well until they grow as fry(like Bass). In small ponds they could devastate the fish population. The reason why most So Cal fisherman do not catch flathead is because they do not often fall for cut bait; liver, mackerel, stink baits etc.. they eat strictly live bait. In most our local water using most the above live baits other than shad is illegal. That is why you do not hear of many Flatheads caught in local lakes, not because we suck and cant catch them but they are not caught because we cannot fish for them with the proper baits. When we catch them it is simply luck or a by catch like myself and the guy that caught one at SFD. I also learned how seldom a large flathead is caught it made me have a new found appreciation for the species and the guys that have caught a Monster Flathead.

Bass Pro Shops website had a good read on Flatheads here is the link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28937&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Dayaam......a freagin peeg !

congrats !

Damn sweet : )
Gary

murrieta angler
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
DANG JONATHAN!!!
That sucker is huge.
Your parents are gonna get Hella catfish nuggets out of that sucker.
Thanks for the great story and pics,
Robert
<><

bsp
03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Jonathan,

That is an amazing local lake catch, and that largemouth is very nice as well! Truly an impressive fish on 3lb line, and it took a lot of skill to land it. Maybe you, me, and Jerry will get the chance to hit the fresh together sometime.

All the best,

Marc

mudskipper76
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
way to play that beast! a 40 min fight with a catfish on 3# line is no walk in the park. congratulations!

HEMAN
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
i saw that green rain jacket on clearance at Target!

ToadsToadsOnly
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
DANG JONATHAN!!!
That sucker is huge.
Your parents are gonna get Hella catfish nuggets out of that sucker.
Thanks for the great story and pics,
Robert
<><
Oh yea they are not going to need any catfish for a while.

Jonathan,

That is an amazing local lake catch, and that largemouth is very nice as well! Truly an impressive fish on 3lb line, and it took a lot of skill to land it. Maybe you, me, and Jerry will get the chance to hit the fresh together sometime.

All the best,

Marc
Thanks Mark just drop one of us a PM anytime I hit up the city parks at least 3 evenings a week jerry 5 times so we are game anytime.

i saw that green rain jacket on clearance at Target!
That is exactly where I got it from it i am glad I purchased it works awesome as a windbreaker.