PDA

View Full Version : Grunion Run Locations

AngelTheSeaguy
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone i am looking forward to this years grunion run season and planning on hitting Cabrillo this Saturday. Does any one know any other locations that are easy to access and pain free with parking do let me know.

smokehound
02-28-2011, 09:22 PM
there are no sure spots when it comes to grunion.

your best bets are open-facing beaches.

One thing to keep in mind: if the leaders of the school dont beach, neither do the rest of them, they'll move.

a bunch of dorks with buckets and flashlights usually scare them away.

beaver825
02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
i know seal beach is easy and parking is free at night. i dont know if you are up on that area but i used to go fishing at nights there and there were hundreds of nuts out there with there buckets and head lamps. i thought they were going coal mining or something lol

smokehound
02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
It's funny. Everyone views jacksmelt as a trash fish, yet they harvest grunion with great enthusiasm, despite both species tasting exactly the same, and sharing the same parasitic worm. :LOL:

DockRat
03-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Cabrillo at night = Watch your back. http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/SkullShineBombFish/Watchyourback.png DR

Ifishtoolittle
03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
It's funny. Everyone views jacksmelt as a trash fish, yet they harvest grunion with great enthusiasm, despite both species tasting exactly the same, and sharing the same parasitic worm. :LOL:

Jacksmelt is pretty good eating isn't it? Personally I think Jacksmelt are much better eating than Grunions.

smokehound
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I always considered jacksmelt to be of excellent quality. never could quite understand the stigma associated with it.

I guess it's because the commercial mackerel pier fishermen get PO'ed when they're expecting a nice-size Saba, only to find out, its a jacksmelt.