PDA

View Full Version : Crappie in Prado

QB7940
02-26-2011, 10:33 PM
What do you guys think? Ive heard rumors for a while. I know that someone got caught stocking some into the lake not to long ago, and Ive talked to older gents, mostly waterfowl hunters who were hunting flooded timber behind the dams that say theirs Crappie behind the dam.

fishmounter
02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
From just looking at the lake, it seems like it could be an awesome place for Black Crappies. With all the cover and trees in the water, crappie would do good in there, but is there enough forage fish like shad or other minnows? Crappie are mainly fish eaters. Laguna Lake in Fullerton used to have some very big crappie in there and it did not have any shad, so it's possible for them to survive, if a fair amount of fish were stocked- and while you at it, could you dump in about 50 Florida Bluegill too?...LOL

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
for years every time i go down the 71 ,and being a fishing freak seeing the water, behind the dam, and all those trees always made me wonder,if it would be a crappie heaven habitat.i just dont know about access ,and if its legal to be there.does the dairy run off pollute the water.i know there carp at the front of the dam ,but i dont think you can fish there any more...

RUHROH!!!!!
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Sssshhhhhh....... There everywhere in the flooded trees behind the damn. There is also a good shad population, Tons of largemouth, and channels to 20 pounds in the flood basin and creeks running into it. You just have to go exploring and you will be rewarded with a few sweet spots. If I knew how to upload pics I could show you but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

RUHROH!!!!!
02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Ssshhh....... There are tons of crappie in the tree's behind the damn. There is also a healthy shad population, tons of large mouth, and channel cats up to 20 pounds back there. I used to fish back there as a kid for many years, but I'm sure there still in there. As for Prado, I dont know if there in there but I know there are alot of shad in Prado so they would b able to survive.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
i figured that.are you allowed legally in that area.i cant see why not .i have heard there is a lot of quick sand,in that whole area,and the santaana river from riverside to corona dam.

carpanglerdude
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
From what I've heard, the Prado wetlands are off-limits, unless you go with a birdwatching/wetland guided tour. Pretty fail, as they do allow some hunting there from time to time.

Looks like absolute fishing heaven behind the dam, if Google Maps is to be believed. RUHROH!!!!!, please post some pics !

catfish 17
02-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Sssshhhhhh....... There everywhere in the flooded trees behind the damn. There is also a good shad population, Tons of largemouth, and channels to 20 pounds in the flood basin and creeks running into it. You just have to go exploring and you will be rewarded with a few sweet spots. If I knew how to upload pics I could show you but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

OH MAN!! u gotta show me where those 20 pound cats are at!!! Or some carp. I love fishing for those 2 types.

RUHROH!!!!!
02-28-2011, 07:47 PM
All of the pics I have were taken with a disposable camera years ago. I don't know if I can get them on to the computer. And I would have to show ya the spots because there's alot of...... Make a left at this bush, make a right at this boulder, go straight towards the two tree's and so forth.

QB7940
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
wow so its true, that fish has some potential so i guess theres hope for some nicer ones.

keepemlo
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Bout three years ago I would go to the dam before they posted the no parking signs there were bass up to 10lbs got to know the security guard he let us fish but because of the taggers who went in and defaced the property etc that soon came to an end never caught crappie but caught big bass on green crappie jigs even fished the back side was pretty polluted large bass wouldn't take what a place to float tube wow anyway bent poles everybody!!!

yakfu
03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Passed through this area off the 71 for the pass 9 years. I went down there once when I saw a bunch of car pulled off the fwy. in the parking area. About 6 people were fishing, a family and a few kids, they were all catching these little cat fish. Correct me if Im wrong this same water flow all the way to the Santa Ana River Lakes. I was told years ago that the handful of crappie, bass and carp that come out of the River Lakes come directly from this flow of water. So the potential for the flow to hold fish is multiplied at the dam.

QB7940
03-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Wow yakfu thats a real interesting point. Theres so much random fact fishing knowledge here. The Prado Wetlands is manged by the Orange County Water District. They bought out that land. It would be tough to regulate fishing there cause the water on that lake can get real big in a real hurry. One night its dried out the next day theres water going over euclid and the duck clubs you can see from the 71 are flooded.

So Yakfu, are there still alot of geese hanging around the chino area/ prison?/ flying over your house?

smokehound
03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Passed through this area off the 71 for the pass 9 years. I went down there once when I saw a bunch of car pulled off the fwy. in the parking area. About 6 people were fishing, a family and a few kids, they were all catching these little cat fish. Correct me if Im wrong this same water flow all the way to the Santa Ana River Lakes. I was told years ago that the handful of crappie, bass and carp that come out of the River Lakes come directly from this flow of water. So the potential for the flow to hold fish is multiplied at the dam.Those were brown bullheads. They're everywhere. they have the ability to survive drought by burrowing into mud and aestivating, kinda like fish hibernation, til the rains come.

You would be surprised where this species can turn up.

JigStop
03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
We was in there with a kayak and only saw carp. It'll take a couple of years of this high water to get a crappie population going in there.

carpanglerdude
03-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you mean the prado wetlands, or the prado lake park?

parkermann2
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
i have caught 2 small crappie at Prado fishing with small jigs going for bluegil they were hand sized

fishermanx14
06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Prado+Dam,+Riverside,+CA&ie=UTF-8&hl=en we are all talking about this place correct?

carpanglerdude
06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Prado+Dam,+Riverside,+CA&ie=UTF-8&hl=en we are all talking about this place correct?

Yes.35568

Also, more pictures: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prado-pg,0,570210.photogallery

For some reason, a duck club is allowed access for hunting in the wetlands, but anglers are not.

parkermann2
06-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes.35568

Also, more pictures: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prado-pg,0,570210.photogallery

For some reason, a duck club is allowed access for hunting in the wetlands, but anglers are not.

The duck club leases that land from the state. It is supposed to be some sort of "secret" club. You have to be invited into it.

QB7940
06-06-2012, 01:51 AM
The land is leased by mike raahauge. The public can walk on and hunt blinds that are open for a expensive price. There are a few other clubs in there I think like splatter S. All the housing in the chino area is destroying a lot of small ponds and fields that the ducks would feed in during their winter migration. I think the water in that dam is to inconsistent for good fishing. Some times its up to the 71 sometimes it looks like a dry swamp.