PDA

View Full Version : Any good surf fishing in OC?

gonefishing247
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I want to try out surf fishing but not sure any good spot to go. Any tips would be greatly appreciat it.

Thanks,
GoneFishing247

oldmaninsea
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Sure is! You might want to try any place from West Newport Beach (free beach access) to Huntington State Beach ($15/Daily) to Bolsa Chica State Beach ($15/Daily) to Sunset Beach (free beach access), and that's just North Orange County! Good luck, tight lines and catch one for me!

Tom
over and out

gonefishing247
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM
I normally take my kayak out of NPH but after reading all these surf fishing reports make me want to try it out. My buddy fished near NP jetty and he said theres nothing out there. I hate to pay for parking to access beach. lol

murrieta angler
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I normally take my kayak out of NPH but after reading all these surf fishing reports make me want to try it out. My buddy fished near NP jetty and he said theres nothing out there. I hate to pay for parking to access beach. lol

Check out this months Sport Fishing.
It has a very good article about fishing for halibut from a kayak.
Robert
<><

gonefishing247
02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Check out this months Sport Fishing.
It has a very good article about fishing for halibut from a kayak.
Robert
<><

Where can I find this article?

DockRat
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I want to try out surf fishing but not sure any good spot to go.

What beach is closest for you ?
DR

gonefishing247
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
What beach is closest for you ?
DR

Newport Beach is closest to me but I'm willing to drive anywhere if theres good spot.

TroutKings3
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM

The NP Jetty is one of the worst places to go surf fishing around here in my opinion, try walking the beach and looking for holes under "nervous water." Don't pay for parking access, just park on the streets before PCH and walk 3 minutes.

smokehound
02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
The NP Jetty is one of the worst places to go surf fishing around here in my opinion, try walking the beach and looking for holes under "nervous water." Don't pay for parking access, just park on the streets before PCH and walk 3 minutes.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/beanzilla.jpg

Bologna! This corbina was caught around there, super-fat. She weighed around 6 pounds or so.

edit: I know it doesn't look like it, but this bean was stuffed full of sandcrabs, bean clams, misc small crustaceans, and tiny fish. easily around a pound of food in her gut.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-27-2011, 07:17 AM
there are fish normally any where on the coast.not to question your fishing knowledge,this forum is to help fellow members. what tech.are you using?if you dont mind i would suggest#1 the small gulp camo worms which can be used for carolina rig,drop shot #2 drop shotting bass trix,smaller flukes,#3 soft swim baits,and hard baits like crocidial,lucky crafts, or any hard minnow imitator.#4 ghost shrimp,worms ,mussel ect.good luck...mike the pmb..

TroutKings3
02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Bologna! This corbina was caught around there, super-fat. She weighed around 6 pounds or so.

edit: I know it doesn't look like it, but this bean was stuffed full of sandcrabs, bean clams, misc small crustaceans, and tiny fish. easily around a pound of food in her gut.

I said, in my opinion. I have friends who fish there all the time; I know there are fish there. I have caught all my bigger fish north, that's all. I live close and have been fishing the surf there since I was big enough to hold a pole, and I was just saying that I believe it's one of the worst places compared to my usual haunts.

smokehound
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I said, in my opinion. I have friends who fish there all the time; I know there are fish there. I have caught all my bigger fish north, that's all. I live close and have been fishing the surf there since I was big enough to hold a pole, and I was just saying that I believe it's one of the worst places compared to my usual haunts.I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. conditions are ever-changing at ALL beaches. How often do you surf-fish newport? In the middle of summer, i'm there generally 4 days out of every week. 6:00 am to 8:00 pm most days.

I dont have a car, so I dont have to waste time parking, etc. I always make sure conditions are forecast to optimal.

I take a note of when the tide will go slack, so when break for a while, smoke a fat joint, space out, come down, then resume fishing. I think you just generally hit the shore during slack tide, so you think it sucks.

Trout Doctor
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
How often do you surf-fish newport? In the middle of summer, i'm there generally 4 days out of every week. 6:00 am to 8:00 pm most days.

I take a note of when the tide will go slack, so when break for a while, smoke a fat joint, space out, come down, then resume fishing. I think you just generally hit the shore during slack tide, so you think it sucks.

You, my friend, are livin' the dream.

smokehound
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
You, my friend, are livin' the dream.:LOL: Nah.. it would be if I had a car.

riding the bus can be very annoying.. one of my poles doesn't break down.

TroutKings3
02-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. conditions are ever-changing at ALL beaches. How often do you surf-fish newport? In the middle of summer, i'm there generally 4 days out of every week. 6:00 am to 8:00 pm most days.

I dont have a car, so I dont have to waste time parking, etc. I always make sure conditions are forecast to optimal.

When I say farther north, I mean HB. Everytime I have hit the NH jetty the fishing is not great, and yes I know how to look at conditions, I'm not a rookie. I just have had better luck consistently at other beaches. I don't understand how you can tell me I'm wrong when I'm talking about personal opinion, and personal experiences. It's great that you pull fish out of there all the time, I am just saying that I personally have better luck north at HB state and HB city.

I'm sorry I offended you. Let's please end this bickering, I'm new here and didn't mean to raise any trouble. That Bean is FAT, I don't think I've ever seen one that swollen, so I'll take your word for the NP Jetty, and may try it again soon.

DockRat
03-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry I offended you. Let's please end this bickering.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i449/KittyKanary/tumblr_lgzwxkFuDK1qfrb09.gif

DockRat
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM
That is one Fat Croaker.
I fish spots that are terrible, but sometimes they are good.
It is all about timing and you have to take your Lumps at times.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/gypsyprincess39/DSCF0248.jpg

gonefishing247
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
That is one Fat Croaker.
I fish spots that are terrible, but sometimes they are good.
It is all about timing and you have to take your Lumps at times.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/gypsyprincess39/DSCF0248.jpg

I hope my timing is good. LOL... Thanks for all the help guys!

smokehound
03-02-2011, 03:25 AM
...Bickering?

You're on your own, man. I'm just saying newport definitely does not suck.