PDA

View Full Version : suggest day hikes around Mammoth

homers
08-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Looking to go on a day hike, with fishing involved, in or near the Mammoth area.

Suggestions?

rusty6
08-02-2007, 10:22 AM
crystal lake, shadow lake, little lakes valley if you feel like driving south a little, parker lake out of june lakes loop, just go buy a topo map of the area, look for a trail leading to a lake and if it looks good, go hike.

Devious 1
08-03-2007, 07:43 AM
......McLeod Lake. Its about a 15min. hike above Horseshoe Lake. Very accessible, very beautiful, and good fishing but it is special regs. w/ zero take.

Szen
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I'll echo what Rusty6 mentioned and suggest you go to Rock Creek canyon/Little Lakes valley. It's about fifteen or so miles south of Mammoth and is probably the easiest access to the high Sierra backcountry. Park at Mosquito Flats trailhead and head on out to the many lakes that dot this absolutely beautiful lil' valley. As for the fishing, it's awesome most of the time. Rock Creek Lake and Heart Lake come to mind, but I enjoy stream/creek fishing, myself, and definitely suggest checking out Rock Creek, itself, which winds in and out of the lakes in the valley.

It's a pretty easy walk, really; pretty level/gradual incline and a few short climbs here and there. But, keep in mind the trailhead alone starts at ~10,300 ft. :wink:

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/photos/bcountry/large/long.jpg

mammoth xfactor
08-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Sherwins lakes. Parking and the trailhead at the Mammoth Moto X track. Lot's of fish.

JIMMY JAM
08-04-2007, 11:30 PM
If you're ambitious the Duck Pass Trail is a great day trip. Go past Lake Mary and through the Coldwater Campground to get to the trail head.