PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on downrigger install Tracker v16 wt

chopplebrains
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
So I just got a brand new Tracker v16 wt about a week ago and want to get it setup - previously I only had a Lund wc14 (and only for a season before I got this boat) - so I'm still fairly new here and need some advice from some folks who are more seasoned.

I'm installing a couple of scotty downriggers. The gunnels are too wide for some of the clamps, and they are super uneven because of the versa track that is built in (so it is hard for me to see how to get behind the gunnel with a piece of wood/etc to correctly reinforce a downrigger install there). Also, the inboard wall of the gunnel is a carpted piece of aluminum screwed to the gunnel and it slants slightly inward. So the inner wall of the boat is slightly on an angle - so the compat downrigger that has a right angle bracket doesn't seem like it would be simple to install. And I don't want to build a rack across the back (I'm not nearly that handy), and it would lose a bit of space (I will only fish 2 downriggers, so don't need a setup to support more than that). So I've decided to mount the Scotty 12" pedastal to the back casting deck of the boat. This seems simple and clean.

I've got the casting deck of the boat taken apart so I can get under there to do the install. Note that the casting deck is made of plywood - measures approx. 1 inch with carpet on both sides, so it is probably closer to 3/4 inch in reality)I have the Scotty mounting plate ready to go, and some resin backing material (this is what the local boat shop told me they used and they sold me some - it's basically the same stuff some of those bait fish cutting boards are made of). Also note that there isn't a ton of room to work with under there since there are cables, storage hatch, and a light plug in - so on the starboard side of the boat, positioning is a little limited. I have 2 questions I'm hoping people will be kind enough to help me out with:

1. Is there strong concern that the overall plan isn't sturdy enough - i.e. mounting a downrigger on a 12" pedastal to a plywood casting deck, or is this going to be strong and sturdy? I plan to troll maybe up to 3.5 mph with 8-10lb weights, could be deep as 150 feet or so (depending on what's going on fish wise), the arm (boom I think it is called) on my downriggers are 24" I believe.

2. I have a choice of doing all 4 corners of the scotty mount through bolted with machine screws, with locking nuts on the underside, OR I can do top two holes through bolted with locking nuts, and bottom two holes screwed directly into a supporting frame on the boat. But I have no way to get underneat the frame to lock it in with any washers/nuts/etc - so those two would just be screwed in.

And I'm including some pictures to show the what Im working with. The first shows back of boat, second shows where I plan to place the mounting plate for pedastal, 3rd shows what's under casting deck, 4th shows what install positioning with all 4 corners throughbolted only to the plywood, 5th shows positioning with 2 bolted to wood and 2 screwed into aluminum, and final picture shows what's under the casting deck without anything in the way (not sure which order pics will post in, but file names should make it clear which is which).

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

muskyman
02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
I owned a tracker for 8 years and I had the same structural design on the supports for the carpeted floor. Over time, most of them, broke where they meet together. I think where they form a square, they were welded. I just had them rewelded and braced with supports that I bolted on. As for your gunwale issue, man, I do not see a solid way to attach a downrigger to it or the floor. Are there other places you can mount it ? There is one idea, this sounds a little hokey, but what if you did go straight to the gunwale, designed a mount to accomodate the downrigger plate - and welded it to the gunwale ? Aluminum to aluminum, I am wondering if this would work ? You gotta find a decent welder who knows what their doing when it comes to aluminum. Bolting it through will give it some stability and then the welder really puts the strength on it when it's welded. Just a thought. Good luck dude

kirkboat
02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
it looks to me that pic #3 would be a good install...the leverage will be at the back of plate...they make some good bolts to mount trolling motors with that have no excess...i would pop rivet a 1/4" piece of aluminum under channel for a backer and go for it...make backer 3" wider the base plate....kirk

chopplebrains
02-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Bummer news. I had read stories about welds breaking on trackers, but also stories of people having no problems. I know two people that have them that recommended them, seemed like a good entry level boat. Hoping I have better luck than you did.

I really want a design that is completely removable. Welding something to the side is probably possible, but not the preferred path.

muskyman
02-25-2011, 03:48 PM
With all the years of trailering my tracker across the country and to Canada and back a few times - it's no wonder I broke rivets and broke welds. And I re-built the trailer it seemed like. Given the amount of use I put on her, it's no wonder I had the issues I did. Actually having a riveted boat was not all that bad - I was able to do all the repairs myself.

tracker16
04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a 2006 I took the screws out of the side where the carpit is to get to the bottom of virsa track and installed a 1/4" alum angle through bolted through the scotty plate and alum. plate and through thetop of the versa track.
For the vertical leg sheet metal screw angle to the side where carpit is, you may have to open up the angle with a hammer over a piece of pipe to get the correct fit. This will put you at the correct height to turn crank.
This is supper strong.

fishfinder
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
it looks like you just need to use a pedestal mount to me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Jon-Pedestal-Mount/738200.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Ddownrigger%2Bmounts%26WTz_l%3DHeader%25 3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=downrigger+mounts&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products