PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Repairs

hugo c
02-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I recently bought a yak from a neighbor who was relocating. There are a few items that I'd like installed and one removed. E.g. Take out an existing flush mount rod holder and install my new Scotty. I'm not lame with tools but am reluctant to do work on plastic. :Confused:

Heard that kayak shops mostly make repairs only to kayaks they've sold or accessories they've sold. I have items purchased randomly, since local shops did not have what I wanted.

Long story short: Anyone out there do mobile kayak repairs? I'm in south O.C. Or, anyone know of shops that do repairs w/o regards to where items were purchased?

Thanks in advance for any relies..............

tomah
02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
OEX will install accessories for you and if you buy the accessories from them, they install them for free

Albert
02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
If you plan on putting your Scotty rod holder in the same location you might be better off getting an adapter that fits in your flush mount instead of patching the hole. You can always add an extender to get it up higher.

jerryG
02-28-2011, 05:18 AM
It would be a good idea to leave a flushmount in place. For small holes such a screw hole you can contact the kayak manufacture and they will send you some excess plastic which can be used to weld over small holes. I welded over some screw holes about in my kayak and you can't even tell there was ever a screw there and after 10 years never had a problem with the welds. However for hole as a flush mount it would be difficult. I won't say it can't be done but probably more trouble than it is worth and definitely something you would want to have done by the manufacturer or at the very least someone who has some experience with such jobs. They will probably tell you to just live with it.