PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a Float Tubing Newb

snslarison
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I am going to be buying a float tube and necessary equipment within the next month or so, but I have a lot of questions before I move forward. All advice will be appreciated.

Float Tube- I am 6’5” 255 lbs and I am leaning towards getting the Outcast Super Fat Cat LCS. Is this my best bet or do you guys have other suggestions?

Waders- I’m kind of lost here but I’m leaning towards breathable bootless waders and getting some wading boots. Question- Is this what you’re supposed to do? Or do you just go without the boots? I’m confused here.

Fins- I’m leaning towards the “strap on” type that go over the wading boots. Is this the way to go?

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Scott

ZugBug1313
02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
I just found this website not too long ago. I love to fish but haven't put enough effort into it but I need to change that. I too am about your size and looked long and hard for a Float Tube a while back. I ended up going with the same tube that you are leaning towards. It is pretty cool it has lots of room I have a rack for multiple rods and a fish finder to boot. The inflatable seat is a plus as well. As for the waders I have pair that I bought at Sport Chalet some time back. They are not breathable as I wanted to wade with them if I went stream fishing as well. As for the fins I believe they are Force fins that go over your boots. The waders also have neoprene booties attached and I put the fins over them. I do not wear boots in the tube what is the point. I do have a pair of wading boots that I did buy from Sport Chalet that have held up pretty well though. Take care

Bryan

snslarison
02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I just found this website not too long ago. I love to fish but haven't put enough effort into it but I need to change that. I too am about your size and looked long and hard for a Float Tube a while back. I ended up going with the same tube that you are leaning towards. It is pretty cool it has lots of room I have a rack for multiple rods and a fish finder to boot. The inflatable seat is a plus as well. As for the waders I have pair that I bought at Sport Chalet some time back. They are not breathable as I wanted to wade with them if I went stream fishing as well. As for the fins I believe they are Force fins that go over your boots. The waders also have neoprene booties attached and I put the fins over them. I do not wear boots in the tube what is the point. I do have a pair of wading boots that I did buy from Sport Chalet that have held up pretty well though. Take care

Bryan

Ok, so you dont think I need the boots? I thought I was supposed to wear them while in the tube. I hear the waders are not durable enough to be walking over rocks and stuff to get to the water.

CPT. Kirk
02-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm no expert at float tubing but I will let you know what works for me. I have a togiak float tube with a rod rack that will hold three rods on each side, I use one for my poles and the rack for my net, pliers etc. I also have a hummingbird fishing buddy 140C. This unit helps me locate structure, fish and gives me the water temperature.
I use breathable stocking foot waders with wading boots I like the boots because I can get in and out the water and walk if necessary without ruining my stocking foot waders.
I'm currently using HotSpot fins. I have heard that Force Fins are the best but they are very expensive.
You can check out the free float tube forum for additional information http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/ you may also check out this web site http://bassinthehood.com
Good luck and tight lines.

snslarison
02-23-2011, 07:48 PM
CPT,

Great info. May be a dumb question but I just want to make sure I understand. So you do wear your fins over your wading boots right?

Thanks,

Scott

Socal Bassman
02-23-2011, 08:07 PM
My friend has a Super Fat Cat and he loves it. As for the waders, breathable stockingfoot waders are the way to go. You will also need a pair of wading boots to go over the stockingfoot because they will prevent the bottoms from getting worn out from walking on sand and rocks. Also, make sure you get a boot about one or two sizes bigger than your regular shoe size to accommodate the thickness of the stockingfoot and/or layers of socks. As for fins, I've heard a lot about Force fins and Hotspots. Dive fins work good for me.

snslarison
02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Cool. Thats the info I was looking for. I appreciate it.

snslarison
02-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Keep em coming you guys. Anything you think I need to know.

ZugBug1313
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I usually don't wear the boots if I am walking on asphalt or dirt. If I have to walk over rocks yea I wear the boots.

CPT. Kirk
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
CPT,

Great info. May be a dumb question but I just want to make sure I understand. So you do wear your fins over your wading boots right?

Thanks,

Scott

Yes some fins are designed for wader boots and other are made for barefoot or stocking foot.

CPT. Kirk
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I am going to be buying a float tube and necessary equipment within the next month or so, but I have a lot of questions before I move forward. All advice will be appreciated.

Float Tube- I am 6’5” 255 lbs and I am leaning towards getting the Outcast Super Fat Cat LCS. Is this my best bet or do you guys have other suggestions?

Waders- I’m kind of lost here but I’m leaning towards breathable bootless waders and getting some wading boots. Question- Is this what you’re supposed to do? Or do you just go without the boots? I’m confused here.

Fins- I’m leaning towards the “strap on” type that go over the wading boots. Is this the way to go?

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Scott

Don't forget your wading belt very important (safety measure) just in case you slip and fall in the water. You don not want water running into your waders.

snslarison
02-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Ok wading belt. Got that. Thanks!

socal114
02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
I think the Outcast Fishcat/Super Fat Cat tubes are tough to beat for the money. I also use scuba "split fins" which I prefer. Very efficient and require less effort because of their design. I found the Hodgman Wadelite stockingfoot waders were inexpensive and very high quality. They were recommended to me by a number of fellow tubers. You can find them here http://www.hodgman.com/Sale-Fishing-C69.aspx at great prices.

Here are the Scubapro Twin Jet fins I have...28674

I wear a pair of Aqua Lung neoprene surf booties ($15 at Sport Chalet) over my waders to protect them from damage while walking. I don't wear wader boots inside my fins. Plenty warm, dry and less bulk than wearing a boot.

I'm gonna hit Corona in a few hours, so it's time to get some zzzz's. Happy shopping!

MiM
02-24-2011, 01:58 AM
A decent set of breathable waders usually come with a wading belt. I bought a set of hodgmans from Sport Chalet and a set of Frog Toggs and both came with a belts. Check Bass Pro Shops they have their flats boots for about $25. http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Flats-Boots-for-Men/product/55184/-1034271
Don't forget your PFD (Life Vest) again check BPS as they have them on ad for the Spring Sale starting tomorrow starting @$20 for the mesh top vest.http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Mesh-Top-Angler-Flotation-Vest-for-Men/product/10213766/-1644943. Hope that helps get you started a little easier.

snslarison
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Great info guys. I really appreciate it.

snslarison
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
A decent set of breathable waders usually come with a wading belt. I bought a set of hodgmans from Sport Chalet and a set of Frog Toggs and both came with a belts. Check Bass Pro Shops they have their flats boots for about $25. http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Flats-Boots-for-Men/product/55184/-1034271
Don't forget your PFD (Life Vest) again check BPS as they have them on ad for the Spring Sale starting tomorrow starting @$20 for the mesh top vest.http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Mesh-Top-Angler-Flotation-Vest-for-Men/product/10213766/-1644943. Hope that helps get you started a little easier.

Ok so a couple of questions...

If I go with the flats boots over my waders, can should I get a larger size in them? For instance I wear a size 13 shoe. If I'm wearing the waders will size 13 flats boots fit over them or do I need size 14?

Also with this type of boots should I use the strap on type fins or should I use the diving (slip on) type?

MiM
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Best suggestion i have is go and try them on. They (BPS) have neoprene wader socks so you can get the feel for them before you decide. If they don't have a bigger size, Hodgmans has up to sz 14. http://www.hodgman.com/Neoprene-Wading-Shoes-P2077C71.aspx. They are a little bit more but the same if not better quality.Yes, definitely use the strap on the back of the fins it would be the only way to keep them on your feet securely. On the flats boots or hodgman boots there is a notch in the back to keep the strap from slipping off. If you're concerned about them falling off there are fin lanyards available in case they do fall off you won't lose them.

Trout Doctor
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Check out the OCD 420 on ebay. It is basically the same as the fat cat, and can be had for around $100 (just got mine for $110, shipping included).

snslarison
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Just ordered these:

http://www.hodgman.com/Wadelitereg-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Wader-P2057C69.aspx

Great deal. Thanks for the link MiM!

snslarison
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Check out the OCD 420 on ebay. It is basically the same as the fat cat, and can be had for around $100 (just got mine for $110, shipping included).

Hmm...Maybe I should. I will look into that one.

MiM
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Glad to help.

bluecat
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
as one of the guy's said, flats boots work well.simm's makes some they mite be in the size you are looking.
i use the cabelas lite weight boot but they only go up to sz 13. don't go to cheap here buy something comfortable the worst thing is sore cramping feet.simms also makes good quality waders in custom sizes, breathable are way to go.caddis makes some step in fins you wear your booties in.your choice on the super fat cat is spot on,i sell them in san diego for outcast they have outstanding products and service.
hope this help's

tight lines

snslarison
02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks bluecat. Im still leaning toward the super fat cat. I will look into the Simms Boots.

bassguy
02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Let me start off by saying, you have received great advice on this subject. I personally fish from a Super Fat Cat, the tube is great, has large pockets to store plenty of gear, inflatable seat and back rest for excellent comfort, and 13” tubes which allow you to sit higher out of the water. I also have a pvc four rob holder, and a Humminbird fish finder. This is a great tube, I would definitely recommend it.

As for waders, I would also recommend the breathable stocking foot waders. Bass Pro, Cableas, Simms, there are many affordable waders. In spring you will be more comfortable, winter you can layer to stay warm. Be sure they fit like clown pants, need to have enough length in the legs to allow you to sit down.

Fins, this was an issue for me. I tried cheap fins, you get what you pay for. I also tried fins I used when I used to body surf, not enough thrust, diving fins will tire you quicker due to their length and weight. I tried a friends Force fin, they work well, plenty of thrust, more difficult to put on, easy to walk in, just a high price around $200. Finally, I bought the Hot Spot fins, they work well, have plenty of thrust, light weight don’t notice them in the water, they float, and are easy to put on and take off.

Hope this helps, here is a pic of my tube, this is just one way you can modify it for your needs.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/TUBE1-17-09.jpg

Here is a pic of my tube and Socalbassmans Fish Cat 4 tube at Perris Lake
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/socalbassguytube.jpg

snslarison
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow Bassguy great info. I've already ordered my stocking foot waders, so Im good there. Im going to go with the Super Fat Cat so that is good. Where do I get Hot Spot fins? I cant seem to find them online.

That rod holder you have is awesome!

Socal Bassman
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok so a couple of questions...

If I go with the flats boots over my waders, can should I get a larger size in them? For instance I wear a size 13 shoe. If I'm wearing the waders will size 13 flats boots fit over them or do I need size 14?

Also with this type of boots should I use the strap on type fins or should I use the diving (slip on) type?

Yes, you want to go at least one size bigger than your shoe size. For example, I wear a size 11 shoe. I bought a size 12 flats boots and it is just the right size to accommodate the waders and socks. As someone pointed out, the best way is to try everything out in the store. You don't want it to be tight or it will lead to cramping. If you think it feels tight out of the water, it'll feel even tighter in the water.

bassguy
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow Bassguy great info. I've already ordered my stocking foot waders, so Im good there. Im going to go with the Super Fat Cat so that is good. Where do I get Hot Spot fins? I cant seem to find them online.

That rod holder you have is awesome!

I purchased mine at Turners Outdoorsman in West Covina. They we're the only place I could find them. Be sure to purchase the fins to fit over booties.

snslarison
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Cool thanks guys. I will go to the store and try on the boots before I get them. I will have to check with Turners on the fins.

You guys are great. Thanks for all of the help. Im excited to be getting into this.

bassguy
02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Let us know when you get all your gear. Not sure what you fish for, Bass, Trout, pan fish, Socal Bassman and I hit Perris and Castaic regularly, let us know if we can help you out. Good luck, float tubing is a great way to fish.

snslarison
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Let us know when you get all your gear. Not sure what you fish for, Bass, Trout, pan fish, Socal Bassman and I hit Perris and Castaic regularly, let us know if we can help you out. Good luck, float tubing is a great way to fish.

Cool. Will do. I fish for mostly trout and bass. But I am looking forward to getting into the bays too.

Thanks again!

diamondbear
02-25-2011, 11:32 AM
The problem you'll have with cheap fins is that there to stiff and you wont have a good comfortable RETURN STROKE and you'll wear yourself out , Get boots to keep the wear down for many years of use and get the next size fin up to get a proper fit over your boot .

snslarison
02-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info Diamondbear.

Rac
02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Not sure if you found the Hotspot's or not? But I'm pretty sure they still sell them at the Tackle Shop at Laguna Niguel Lake- 949-362-3885- Call and ask for Size.

snslarison
02-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Cool. Thanks Rac.

fever
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
All good advice here, im new to tubing also only had my tube out a few times. Like CPT Kirk said check out floattubeforum , its a new forum and the guys there are alot of help.

CPR
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Ya check out http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/ and http://bassinthehood.com/ great places to learn from.