PDA

View Full Version : tackle advice for Guadalupe this Summer

twils3247
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Taking my first 7 day trip to Guadalupe Island this Summer in August on my buddy's 43 foot Trawler. I have done a lot of offshore paddy hopping trips and tuna trips, but never to the island. Just wanted any insight that you guys have on what tackle to bring. I have everything from Curados with 12 pound to Senators with 80 pound. Im gradually backing all of my reels with spectra but due to money issues its taking a while. Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions as far as tackle or lure selection or anything that would help it would be much appreciated. I hope everyone is having a good week and hope you guys can get out for the begginning of rockfish season next week. im looking forward to hopefully posting a good report from Santa Barbara. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Thomas

lovefofish
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
get em in before the tax man gets em!

Hometown
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
If I were you i would go to the fred hall show and catch as many seminars as possiple with the long range fleet and just ask ? from the experts and thats not me I JUST LOVE TO FISH AND BRING SOME SABAKIS
Taking my first 7 day trip to Guadalupe Island this Summer in August on my buddy's 43 foot Trawler. I have done a lot of offshore paddy hopping trips and tuna trips, but never to the island. Just wanted any insight that you guys have on what tackle to bring. I have everything from Curados with 12 pound to Senators with 80 pound. Im gradually backing all of my reels with spectra but due to money issues its taking a while. Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions as far as tackle or lure selection or anything that would help it would be much appreciated. I hope everyone is having a good week and hope you guys can get out for the begginning of rockfish season next week. im looking forward to hopefully posting a good report from Santa Barbara. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Thomas

Nessie Hunter
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Far as I know, Guadalupe Island is still 'closed' to fishing!!

Cedros Island is closest option.. Not near as good though!!!
Cedros you wont need over 30# for the overabundance of small Yellowtail.
Trolling to and from, 80# but always have boat Troller rigs available to use..

7 day would be possible for Aliso Rocks, better & bigger Wahoo & Tuna...
But its a fast run for 7 Day?????

exfactor
02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Guad is not closed, but you have to check in at Ensenada for paperwork, and then return there afterwards. Takes an extra day total to do this. Baloons are a must have item. Probably some humbolts there, so squid catchers as well. If you have a kite, it can give you an opportunity at a slug YFT.

tailsup1
02-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Thomas

Wow, the Lupe on a private boat! Some experience there but not a ton. If I had one set up it would be a small 2 spd. reel loaded w/ 65# spectra w/ a short topshot of 40# flouro. The fishing is sometimes touchy there and this "stealthy" type setup helps. Also, hook selection could play crucial there to. Sometimes people go to 1/0 and 2/0 when your mind is saying 4/0. If you have something like an Avet JX or LX, Talica 10-12, or Acc. BX2-500 that should do. The low gear will come in handy as there are GW's over there that are not shy.

Yellowtail fishing is quite good there too and sometimes overlooked. Pull hard as they're usually near structure.

You should be able to make bait over there too so bring the sabiki rigs.

Good luck and most of all be safe!

twils3247
02-25-2011, 08:19 PM
just wanted to say thank you to you guys who responded to my questions. I dont have the Avet reels, but my grandad has all of them so hopefully he will be generous and loan me one for that trip. Thank you again you guys. I hope everyone has a good weekend. looks like the weather is going to be good for the opener on Tuesday. I look forward to seeing some good reports and hope to write one myself.

Thomas