PDA

View Full Version : Big Bluegill and Crappie

Fisher
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm from the Imperial Valley, and as I've posted before-I've caught some great Crappie and nice bluegill. I just wanted to know if anybody wanted to share some tips on catching some big gills and Crappie. I like the canals, Sunbeam lake and Lagoon, Weist Lake, and Kate's Lake.

I like using the Banjo Minnow for Bass and Crappie, but for Bluegill I need to go with either just a piece of a nightcrawler with a #6 hook...8 may be one size to small. The Bluegill were hitting hard this past late November and December at WEist Lake...TOO many people were were catching them, but there's still REALLY big Crappie there.

Besides using the good 'ol crawler, I like the 1/32 spinner bait-either skirted tube grub or twirly-tailed grub with a tiny piece of nightcrawler on the hook. I've hooked quite a few Crappie with this....WITH a tube-shaped bobber 3-3 1/2 feet above it. This works great because it keeps you from trying to works those little things slowly-not a whole lot of action on them if not moved very quickly. I let it rest, then jerk it. Go as fast or slow as needed.

I've caught even very small Bluegill with this. I was surprised when I was catching tinys.

So I've heard that the canals have the bigger Bluegill and probably Crappie too...right...well share your stories of big bluegill and gills around the Imperial Valley. I want in on tips.

About 5 years ago, a friend and I were fishing the canals. He was going for Cats while I was using the banjo catching a couple of bass. It was along Austin Road at a drop. He had a good bite....reeeled it in...turned out to be a giant Bluegill Very dark and a little over a pound. I was shocked of how big this Blue was because up to that point, I hadn't see anything like that before.

dhines
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
i wish i had stories to share about bluegill (in the IV), but beside sunbeam lake i haven't seen any. thing with sunbeam is, it appears that there are just too many and their size is stunted. when i fish there, it is mainly to catch bait for the flats that i sometimes go after (meaning, they are rarely longer than 3 inches in length).

have you ever caught good sized bluegill at sunbeam? additionally, is there a season for bluegill and crappie? I know other parts of the coutry have seasons for these fish, but i have to wonder if the same rules apply in the IV. with regards to catfish, i have found that october and late november are when i catch the most. question is, is that because the weather is better and i am more dedicated, or is it because that is when the fish is biting best?

i am curious to hear others input.

bluehunter
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
i wish i had stories to share about bluegill (in the IV), but beside sunbeam lake i haven't seen any. thing with sunbeam is, it appears that there are just too many and their size is stunted. when i fish there, it is mainly to catch bait for the flats that i sometimes go after (meaning, they are rarely longer than 3 inches in length).

have you ever caught good sized bluegill at sunbeam? additionally, is there a season for bluegill and crappie? I know other parts of the coutry have seasons for these fish, but i have to wonder if the same rules apply in the IV. with regards to catfish, i have found that october and late november are when i catch the most. question is, is that because the weather is better and i am more dedicated, or is it because that is when the fish is biting best?

i am curious to hear others input.

Its the fall bite in which the cooling water temps normally send them into a feeding frenzy and especially for flats they bulk up in preparation for the winter time in prep for winter time in which their metabolism is not as fast and they pretty much hibernate or just find a homing area and not venture much from it. This time of the year is also good for big channels and blues in late Fall.

Fisher
03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Crappie are spawning at the lagoon right next door to Sunbeam lake. I have caught bluegill bigger than 3 inches at sunbeam. I was talking to a gentleman this past weekend and he told me that spawning season for bluegill is late March and into April. Well, and in all, the water needs to be above 72 degrees more or less. Crappie come first and I saw quite a few at the lagoon this past Saturday. It wasn't a frenzy just yet, however....Crappie, as some of you may know, prefer the water to be around the 60 degree mark. Bass are next after Crappie(around 64-68 degrees)....then later bluegill...I've actually put this to the test.

Sunbeam is pretty fun especially around the bluegill/redear spawn.

I'm going to hit the highline and Sunbeam lagoon this weekend again. I didn't keep any of the fish this time around.

People as well as myself, were catching a hell of a lot of trout that day.