PDA

View Full Version : are the piers still hot?

beaver825
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
hey haven't been to a pier since November. Actually have only been trout fishing a couple of times since then. was wondering if the piers are still active and what people are catching right now. thinking of going down again next month or maybe this upcoming weekend.

Ifishtoolittle
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
~~welcome~~

DockRat
02-23-2011, 05:46 AM
Went to KH yesterday, tossed the Kastmaster, LC 110 aroura black pointer, Kroc. :Skunk: 1 hour.

This is my 5th skunk in a row at KH. Them Bones Boned out. No bait seen. WTF I moving to LB for my after work 1 hour sessions. At leat LB offers the occasional White Sea Bags or other mystery items.

:Skunk:

Ifishtoolittle
02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Went to KH yesterday, tossed the Kastmaster, LC 110 aroura black pointer, Kroc. :Skunk: 1 hour.

This is my 5th skunk in a row at KH. Them Bones Boned out. No bait seen. WTF I moving to LB for my after work 1 hour sessions. At leat LB offers the occasional White Sea Bags or other mystery items.

Try MDR. :Secret:

beaver825
02-23-2011, 05:16 PM
yea i usually fish seal beach or newport and i didn't know if anything was hitting there.

Famous Ticketz
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
BAIT FISH latly

Hometown
02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
:Big Grin:to funny

beaver825
02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
yea i have caught my fair share of white sea bags. i even caught a sock at seal beach

Famous Ticketz
02-23-2011, 11:11 PM
i caught a fishing pole in dana point once

DockRat
02-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Try MDR. :Secret:

Work in LB and live at Rat. I'll pass on MDR.
DR

GETBIT!
02-24-2011, 05:46 AM
In my opinion peirs are a waist of time,save a little more money and jump on a half dayer,& to anwser your question ...well yeah probablly nuthing

smokehound
02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Piers have secrets. Most people just toss their bait as far as possible, then wait.. however this is why everyone gets skunked at piers..

Set up a High/Low rig (sinker on the bottom) and with your hooks tipped with shrimp or Mussel, SLOWLY lower your bait VERY slowly next to a piling. keep going down til you hit the bottom, then slowly reel it back up.

this method can nab you some black perch, pileperch, rubberlips (in more northerly piers) Opaleye, and sometimes a few bass. (rarely ever legal-sized though..)

And, of course, the ever-so-present lizardfish/smelt/mackerel.. try this, most people are too chicken-@#$% to do this-- they think they're gonna snag.

You can also try to catch a few sand-dabs.. Newport Pier is a good spot for Longfin Sand Dabs, HUGE sand-dabs. I caught a pair of 14 inchers about 4-5 years ago.

Cast out and Let your bait hit the bottom (at the end of the pier), and SLOWLY drag it across the sand (works best C-rigged) This method works. try it.

piers dont suck THAT much, however they generally dont have large fish, due to the massive waves of commercial mackerel fishermen on the pier. I generally avoid piers, because I'm sick of telling asian immigrants about the regs, and they just smile and nod and laugh.

I know they speak english. I tested one by insulting him while nodding and laughing.

beaver825
02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
yea i have always had success on the piers. i have hauled just about everything. i have only been skunked a few times. i mean in the summer you can pull up some nice fish. i mean i used to go and catch 1 or 2 or go and catch 10 fish in that would be in about 3 or 4 hours. i go because it is fun. i could careless about bringing home fish. i just like the fight and getting away. thats why i usually go night fishing down at seal beach. it opened 24 hours and you can catch just about anything