PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Irvine tomorrow trollin on boat...Tips?

Surfnsnowboard3
02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, headed to Irvine tomorrow for the second time. Going out on my Uncle's boat. Plan is to troll with a drift sock at 1-2 MPH with firetiger Rapala. Any tips on hot spots? Hot lures? Or tips for trolling?

We are new to Irvine. I am a float tuber and Corona is my home lake.

Thanks guys!!!

PS-the biggest trout I've ever caught is 4 pounds. Give me a big one and pray for me!!!

oomicha3loo
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Troll in santiago flats, near the dam or if you're feeling lucky try the west bank

Thisfool
02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Troll in santiago flats, near the dam or if you're feeling lucky try the west bank

i would say the exact opposite. troll the west shore across the damn. then from the point of sierra cove to the point of trout island then back up the west shore and do the circle over and over. i only go into the flats when im desperate. i hardly ever have luck in the flats.

cd5 firetiger is a great lure. my hot lure this year has been black and gold cd5 i have also had a lot of luck on the silver and black cd5 and the pink diawa sc shiner

Josh
02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Ok Saturday we were killing them in the flats, by Monday it seemed the ones there had moved out of the flats and were starting to spread out some. We hit most of our bites (and saw more people catching fish) in mid lake, off the cliffs, and at the mouth of the flats/tip of Trout Island. It never hurts to take a trip up the west shore to see if anything is there. We were metering fish just past wooody's cove but they were running pretty deep.

Poxy Boggards
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Go big and brite with your lure selection. Fish have been biting very well on larger CD07 size lures the past weekend. Fire Tiger is always a good choice.

Josh
02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Go big and brite with your lure selection. Fish have been biting very well on larger CD07 size lures the past weekend. Fire Tiger is always a good choice.

Saturday the key words were "Fire Tiger". Everything we threw in that pattern worked extremely well. They were also hitting on black and gold shad patterns.

Josh
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Saturday the key words were "Fire Tiger". Everything we threw in that pattern worked extremely well. They were also hitting on black and gold shad patterns.

Oh add to that a couple on a brown trout pattern, a cop car shad and a few others, I lost track LOL.

kidlogan
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
New to the "Vine" and really like the lake, staff, mostly good fishing etiquette, etc...Been there 3 times now and not having much luck trolling. Typically trying rapalas on light line (4-6lb) swimming them fairly shallow. The locals there are yanking some monsters out, is this an ok set-up? Should i go deeper, always hear they are hitting near the surface. Thanks

oomicha3loo
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I <3 fire tiger

Josh
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
New to the "Vine" and really like the lake, staff, mostly good fishing etiquette, etc...Been there 3 times now and not having much luck trolling. Typically trying rapalas on light line (4-6lb) swimming them fairly shallow. The locals there are yanking some monsters out, is this an ok set-up? Should i go deeper, always hear they are hitting near the surface. Thanks

My luck has always been with CD-5's and CD-7's using 6lb line while trolling. The CD-5's swim 3-6 ft and the CD-7's go 7-10 ft plus whatever line drag there is. What parts of the lake are you trolling?Usually you will get hit going up the west shore, accross the damn then down through mid lake. I've gotten several in the flats as well (see my report for the tourney). The one lure that has been consistant this year is anything with a "Fire Tiger" pattern. I've even pulled some using the F-5's at the top but had better luck running a bit deeper.

Hometown
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
how fast have you been trolling you need to stay around 1 1/2 to 3 mph usually the slower the better

CALFISHER4EVR
02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
YEP! Everything that was said. But add also some scent to your lure. Garlic scent even salmon eggs squeezed onto your lure works. Helps the following fish to commit to your lure.

Hometown
02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Also run your lure next to the boat and make sure it is swimming correct before putting out

kidlogan
02-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I have tried most of the lake, usually start from the dock around trout island, then head to the flats and around towards the dam. Got hit a couple of times mid-lake on a pink Daiwa trolling REALLY slow. Matter of fact, I forgot to charge the ole batteries and was running on my kicker motor when I landed the 3-4 lber. Tried a little bass fishing around the North part of the lake (by the flats where there is a lot of cover) with no luck either. Dont really want to try anywhere else for the time being as I know there is some good fish in this lake. Just trying to confirm I am fishing the lake right, probably need some more patience. Appreciate the reply, I have a 16ft. tracker with a 60hp motor. If you see me on the lake or launching, come over and introduce yourself! My name is Steve and I am usually with my son or buddy Chuck. Any other advice would be cool, cheers!

Thisfool
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I have tried most of the lake, usually start from the dock around trout island, then head to the flats and around towards the dam. Got hit a couple of times mid-lake on a pink Daiwa trolling REALLY slow. Matter of fact, I forgot to charge the ole batteries and was running on my kicker motor when I landed the 3-4 lber. Tried a little bass fishing around the North part of the lake (by the flats where there is a lot of cover) with no luck either. Dont really want to try anywhere else for the time being as I know there is some good fish in this lake. Just trying to confirm I am fishing the lake right, probably need some more patience. Appreciate the reply, I have a 16ft. tracker with a 60hp motor. If you see me on the lake or launching, come over and introduce yourself! My name is Steve and I am usually with my son or buddy Chuck. Any other advice would be cool, cheers!

well if you really want to catch trout on the troll you shouldn't stop trolling and start doing other fishing.

i use 6lb izorline. so using 6lb line is exactly right make sure you are anywhere from 50 to 100 feet back with your lures. on my spinning reels i turn of the anti revers and i figured out on my reels every crank lets out just under two feet of line so i let my lures out about 53 cranks and with a lil bit of math that puts me very close to 100 feet.

make sure you are going nice and slow. if you notice you are passing other boats that are trolling then you need to go slower.

the west shore, in front of the dam and mid lake ( go from the point of sierra cove to the point of trout island) are all very good places and in mho your best chance of catching fish

Surfnsnowboard3
02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Just to give you guys an update on my day on Wednesday....not a great day trolling. Used firetiger and brown trout Rapala. Didn't get even a bite for about 2 hours. Ended up with 2 fish from 3 poles. Was there from 7-1:30. Trolled the WHOLE lake. Oh well....

dixoncider
02-27-2011, 07:59 AM
They don't always bite the troll...its weird some days they are all over it, like a few weeks ago. other times maybe 2 fish like you had is pretty good..I will say that slower is better for sure..and you may want to try some other lures that you can drag..needle fish work pretty good sometimes..

Surfnsnowboard3
02-27-2011, 12:34 PM
They don't always bite the troll...its weird some days they are all over it, like a few weeks ago. other times maybe 2 fish like you had is pretty good..I will say that slower is better for sure..and you may want to try some other lures that you can drag..needle fish work pretty good sometimes..

Right on thanks. We did try other lures, like a small Krocodile. No go. Oh well

Thisfool
02-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Right on thanks. We did try other lures, like a small Krocodile. No go. Oh well

on a slower day you really have to change up your lures a lot. i usually change lure color every hour if it hasn't got hit.

this year my hotter colors have been.

silver and black cd5
gold and black cd5
pink sc shiner
gold sc shiner

i personally haven't had a hole lot of luck on the fire tiger but other are slaying with it. i have gotten hit on almost all cd5 color patterns this year but those 4 lures have been my hot go to lures. on slow days you just have to figure out what it is they want and keep trolling. also some times the fishing doesn't really turn on until the after noon around 2.

Surfnsnowboard3
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
on a slower day you really have to change up your lures a lot. i usually change lure color every hour if it hasn't got hit.

this year my hotter colors have been.

silver and black cd5
gold and black cd5
pink sc shiner
gold sc shiner

i personally haven't had a hole lot of luck on the fire tiger but other are slaying with it. i have gotten hit on almost all cd5 color patterns this year but those 4 lures have been my hot go to lures. on slow days you just have to figure out what it is they want and keep trolling. also some times the fishing doesn't really turn on until the after noon around 2.

If you ever need a new fishing buddy on your boat, I'd love to join you. :). I pay for gas, breakfast and lunch.

Thisfool
02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
If you ever need a new fishing buddy on your boat, I'd love to join you. :). I pay for gas, breakfast and lunch.

well brotha i would love to have you along but i dont have a boat i either catch a ride on a buddies boat or i do the rental thing. im going to start working soon and my only day off is going to be Sunday so im not sure how often i will have time or energy to make it out the rest of this trout season but if i find my self in a position to get out there i will let you know.

JAG107
02-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Surfnsnowboard, I might be going this Sunday, and I will probably be solo. I only have a trolling motor, no gas needed. A buddy would be cool. Small boat, though, rental size.

Hey, is anybody out there trolling XRaps, and if so, what colors/sizes are working? I have just about every color now, I'm guessing clown, hot steel, brown trout and pink would all be good. Thanks for your input!

Surfnsnowboard3
02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Surfnsnowboard, I might be going this Sunday, and I will probably be solo. I only have a trolling motor, no gas needed. A buddy would be cool. Small boat, though, rental size.

Hey, is anybody out there trolling XRaps, and if so, what colors/sizes are working? I have just about every color now, I'm guessing clown, hot steel, brown trout and pink would all be good. Thanks for your input!

Love to join you. PM me your #