PDA

View Full Version : Defective Baitcasting Reels or It is Just Me doing it wrong.....

BassHolic
02-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Hope anyone can help me out here. I have owned two baitcasting reels that have similar problems:

1. When really tighten down the drag the thumb bar on the reel does not disengaged (had to bag at it a couple of time to see it jump back up so I can start reel in again)
2. I do not get any drag at all, or maybe just a few lbs, even though I have tighten up the drag to the max.

Is this something wrong with the reel or I am not suppose to tighten the drag all the way. I got very frustrated when this happens and hope anyone with knowledge can help me resolve my problems.

Thanks so much..

fish4keep
02-22-2011, 08:53 AM
what reel? new or used? seviced or not?

Vman
02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Hope anyone can help me out here. I have owned two baitcasting reels that have similar problems:

1. When really tighten down the drag the thumb bar on the reel does not disengaged (had to bag at it a couple of time to see it jump back up so I can start reel in again)
2. I do not get any drag at all, or maybe just a few lbs, even though I have tighten up the drag to the max.

Is this something wrong with the reel or I am not suppose to tighten the drag all the way. I got very frustrated when this happens and hope anyone with knowledge can help me resolve my problems.

Thanks so much..

There is something very wrong. The spool disengaging mechanism is totally seperated from the drag system.
Even the cheapest, $50 baicaster, manages atleast 6lbs of drag.

I believe your problem lies within the main gear ( the biggest gear ), washers, drag stack assembly. They are not placed in the right order, or missing a washer or two, or just worn down out of spec. This explains the lack of drag pressure.

The problem with the reel not disengaging when the drag is tightened down is odd, since they are totally separate system. However, there could be binding due to bent levers ( the one that pushes the pinion off ) and/or additional problems from the main gear & drag stack improper assembly.

A handy person with some experience fixing baitcaster can determine the problem with an inspection after he disassemble the reel. If you don't feel like messing with it, just send it in for repair. Hopefully, you got a Shimano or Daiwa since they 're local.

Nessie Hunter
02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Some times when a Drag plate with ears isnt seated right it will cause the main gear to slant and offset the pinion gear, this potentially can interfere with the Freespool release or reengage..
Same issue if the main gear isnt seated properly on shoulders at base of Main Shaft.
These things would do what you describe (could be many other things also)?????

Guessing here that some one has done a crappy job of putting it together!!!!

Tightening the drag down Tight is never a good idea, also leaving the reel with Drag tight flattens the Belville washers, they act like a spring for drag tension ( ) ...

If it/they are new get to Warranty service...
If used or old get them/it to a service person/place/shop.....
The more you use them this way the more damage you will do..
Probably already need parts that are bent or oddly worn...

Where are you located??
If your close I would be happy to take a free look at them for ya..

exfactor
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
sounds like someone took the reel apart, and didn't put it back together right. Could this be possible? Also, the free spool part is called the clutch. Bet you didn't put it back together right.

BassHolic
02-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I have a Shimano Calais 200asv and a Basspro Johnny Morris, thanks

ghost2uu
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
That Calais is junk. You should probably sell it to me cheap. I will do you that favor.

Nessie Hunter
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Check your PM's.......

TimmayWOOHOO
03-03-2011, 03:56 AM
Are you sure you know which one the drag is? Wrenching down the knob under the drag which is your cast control assembly *might* result in what you're describing.

wackyrigged
03-03-2011, 09:15 AM
If your Shimano was made in Malaysia there is your problem.Sounds like you need someone to show you how to adjust them.Just like when I started out with them.If you are already skilled in baitcasters then I would suggest seeing about returning or warranty them.

KILLA
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Could be a # of things. Start off by adjusting your spool control so it's not button'd down. 2nd start trying different drag settings, if nothing changes take it in and ask. Shimano in irvine is open 8-5 mon.- fri.