PDA

View Full Version : swimbait help

Frequent Flyer
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
1. is braid or mono better for fishing swimbaits?
2. wat weight line?
3. is a mh rod well equipped?
4. are the larger or smaller baits better?
5. any good spots from the shore or just wer they plant the trout?

Marine_Michael
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
1. Most guys who throw swimbaits prefer mono because the stretch makes it less likely to snap if you have a backlash. Some guys will use braid with a long topshot/leader of mono on the end of the line attacked to the actual swimbait.

2. For the smaller < 6" you may be able to get by with 15# line, but most people will use 20# line. If using braid match the braid diameter to the same diameter mono. For example 80# briad with a 20# mono leader.

3. Match the rod to the type of swimbaits you are using. Most rods will have the recomended lure weight rating printed on them. Trying to go much above the recomended lure rating is an almost surefire way to break the rod. If you want to throw the larger 8" to 12" swimbaits, make sure the rod you're using can handle 8oz - 10oz lures.

4. Swimbait size choice depends on a few things. When and where you are fishing, it's important to match the hatch/ whatever the fish you're targeting are feeding on. Second you need to determine if you're fishing for larger fish or true giant/trophy fish. A smaller swimbait is more likely to catch fish because a greater number of fish are able to eat that size bait. Huge baits can only be eaten by the larger fish (which there aren't as many of) so you are less likely to actualy get a bite. But if you do it's almost sure to be a giant.

5. The area around where they plant the trout is probably the best area to start from. Other good areas would be points and dropoffs or other areas that provide some ind of structure that the fish can hide and ambush your bait.

*** I am by far no expert, and most of that information is what I've learned from others and read about while researching swimbait techniques for myself.

Matt_Magnone
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
1. It all depends on what type of bait, depth and cover you intend to fish. Are you fishing the long line? are you pitching to specific structure spots? are you blind casting open water? Are you throwing hard baits or soft? This is a loaded question. Most people don't take enough time to figure out just what they want to do and what they want in a swimbait. I see it a lot. Most people tend to buy a bait when they see several anglers catch fish off one only to have their next visit cursing me for selling them the wrong bait haha :). With little thought the whole thing is easily attainable If I'm planning on throwing "walk baits" i prefer to fish braid for its non stretch qualities. On the long cast, it makes it extremely easy to work the bait keeping the cadence wide vs. tight. No forage fish swims nice and straight down the shoreline when being chased. They move left, they move right, they jump and glide. By having control over your bait, you're able to create and illusion of realism. Braid offers the angler supreme control. By controlling all your uncontrollables you're upping your odds in your bite to land ratio. Now that I mentioned "walk baits" does this mean I throw braid on every slow wake surface bait? No. When fishing a plug that is slow waked across the surface I prefer to fish monofilament. With mono I'm able to give my "bite" a half second delay before i wind into it. This delay has helped me up my odds. Having braids non stretch abilities and higher visibility, while not always, I have noticed lost fish or missed opportunities. Throwing subsurface baits I've noticed a trend in the last few years thats been fishing braid to a short topshot of fluorocarbon. To me, I find too much problems in this equation. The extra sensitivity you're getting, the castability, the quick response time hasn't out produced standard monofilament for me. I say stay with Mono. I could go for days just the subject on line. All you have to do is think about it. Braid floats, Mono slow sinks, fluorocarbon sinks. Bingo. Pick line that matches your baits.

2. There are no rules to what line is the best. I fish 80# braid for my custom 14"-16" plugs, 65# braid for my punkers, 30# mono for my 12" hardbaits, 25# mono for my standard plugs and 15# floro for my sliders and small baits

3. Are MH rods suitable? Yes for some, no more most. Swimbait fishing isnt a cake walk. You have to realize that you're throwing heavy plugs long distances. Longer casts get bit the best (usually) The amount of load you have on your back cast WILL snap you're rod. I see it every day. Snapped rods here, snapped rods there. Buy a quality 8' heavy and you'll be fine. Shimano crucial crc 711xh is the best rod off the shelf as a multi purpose swimbait stick. Roughly $179.99 and you're done. Save the money and you'll have a warranty and a solid rod. If the price isnt an option, try the Okuma swimbait sticks or even the new American Premier rods both under $150

4. What size plugs? This depends on too many variables. I could go on for days but my lead pot is almost ready. haha. I go big when the larger forage is around. Makes no sense throwing 5" swimbaits when they are stocking 15" fish. Makes no sense throwing 12" plugs when there are fish boiling on 3" shad. Catch my drift. Bait selection should me modified according to forage.

5. Lots of good areas, but you won't learn if i tell you. To learn to throw the big plug, you need to put your time in. Catching fish tomorrow is one thing, but understanding WHY you caught that fish is the big picture. Hit the bank and just go for it. You might not catch a fish for a month worth of trying, but when you do, you'll have a better understanding of why and how to duplicate your fish. It just takes time. Im extremely proud of Gerald. Ive givin him bits and pieces and he's gone out there and utilized my and many other anglers pieces to understand why and how fish position and how to get them to eat. Just get out there as often as you can and you'll have similar results.

I've already typed an article, if you want better info and specifics, come visit me at Last Chance and I'll do my best to get you on a swimbait fish bud.

-Matt

spotburner
02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
go find out for yourself instead of relying on the internet. honestly i would point you in the wrong direction if u asked me personally n so would alot of other people if they gave a crap about their lake. just keep that in mind

Matt_Magnone
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
spot burner you're a frickin champion. everyone needs a little help to get started sometimes. its people like you who discourage a lot of anglers from attempting somethin new. if guys are so afraid of their secrets getting out i feel extremely sorry for them. i see it every day at the shop and its really irritating. people that wont even say hi as i ring them up and ask how their fishing has been. keeping their answers short and sweet guarding tackle from the next guy in line like the guy with powerbait behind him is gonna stumble on his 80' of water icejig bite of the ledge directly behind the rock thats next to the hump off the west dam.... come on people. enjoy your sport. you might not be able to enjoy it tomorrow. who knows? maybe the guy that you devulged tips might be able to teach you something in the future.

so far ive devoted my life to fishing and the fishing industry. i WANT people to catch fish even at the cost of me throwing my bites to the wolves. its happened my whole career. ive stamped myself as a person who talks. i talk because i love to teach. i work extremely hard to find the patterns that i get and have spent countless hours trying to unlock tricks and i'll be more than happy to share with ANYONE who asks me what i'm doing. for the people reading if you need any help, just ask me.

yeah... i took it hook, line an sinker i know... :LOL:

BassHolic
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Awesome tips and advices....which make me understand more about fishing in general. Biggest thanks to YOU that are so helpful and make this a better sport for me. Thanks again.

Frequent Flyer
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
wow thanks guys lots of useful info. ill def be out to last chance to learn some more and go and try it out

CL SmooV
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
1. Most guys who throw swimbaits prefer mono because the stretch makes it less likely to snap if you have a backlash. Some guys will use braid with a long topshot/leader of mono on the end of the line attacked to the actual swimbait.

2. For the smaller < 6" you may be able to get by with 15# line, but most people will use 20# line. If using braid match the braid diameter to the same diameter mono. For example 80# briad with a 20# mono leader.

3. Match the rod to the type of swimbaits you are using. Most rods will have the recomended lure weight rating printed on them. Trying to go much above the recomended lure rating is an almost surefire way to break the rod. If you want to throw the larger 8" to 12" swimbaits, make sure the rod you're using can handle 8oz - 10oz lures.

4. Swimbait size choice depends on a few things. When and where you are fishing, it's important to match the hatch/ whatever the fish you're targeting are feeding on. Second you need to determine if you're fishing for larger fish or true giant/trophy fish. A smaller swimbait is more likely to catch fish because a greater number of fish are able to eat that size bait. Huge baits can only be eaten by the larger fish (which there aren't as many of) so you are less likely to actualy get a bite. But if you do it's almost sure to be a giant.

5. The area around where they plant the trout is probably the best area to start from. Other good areas would be points and dropoffs or other areas that provide some ind of structure that the fish can hide and ambush your bait.

*** I am by far no expert, and most of that information is what I've learned from others and read about while researching swimbait techniques for myself.

well said MM....