PDA

View Full Version : What baitcast setup should I choose?

TLA2009
02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure I have it narrowed down to either a Gary Loomis TFO MH 7' paired up with a Johnny Morris Gold series or Bass Pro Shops RCX 7' MH paired up with a Abu Garcia Revo SX. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated.

Fire Ball
02-18-2011, 05:59 PM
The Temple Fork Loomis rods look and feel pretty awesome so I would go with one of those. I was thinking about getting one myself. As for the reel, I would suggest you get a Shimano Curado 200e over either of the ones you are looking at.

P.A.W.
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Yah, I have both the Curao 200e, and the Revo SX. The Curado is superior in every way. The Revo ain't too bad though.

wackyrigged
02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I would go with Shimano Daiwa or Abu garcia for a reel.Dont try to save money when it comes to baitcasters you can get away with that with spinning reels but not baitcasters.I learned the hard way on that.For a pole I Like Abu and Quantum that just happens to be what I have but G loomis and st.croix are probaby better.I would steer away from that BPS brand stuff thats just my opinion though.

DarkShadow
02-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I would steer away from that BPS brand stuff thats just my opinion though.

You're not the first, nor the last, to give out that piece of advice.

Stay with the brands that people have mentioned above, and stay away from the Bass Pro Marketing Machine.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
02-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Fully agree with the BPS gear, there's better choices. However, Cabelas is another story. Cabelas name brand are fine pieces of equipment, IMO.

SDDave
02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Go with the best you can afford, there's ton's of good deals here in the classies, look at the type of fishing you want to do with the rod and reel, Crank, jerk bait, jig , spinner bait, top water, they all have there needs in a rods length and line rating, reels the same, a 200 size reel is a good overall choice, but if your making 200 casts with it tossing a light jerk bait your gonna wish you had a 100 size, same with a rod, a medium action is a good rating to start with. Soon you'll be tackle hoe like a lot of guys who have 20 rods in there quiver and use the same one all day long..
check out www.bassboatcentral.com and look in there rod and reel forum
Pretty sure I have it narrowed down to either a Gary Loomis TFO MH 7' paired up with a Johnny Morris Gold series or Bass Pro Shops RCX 7' MH paired up with a Abu Garcia Revo SX. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated.

oldmaninsea
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
DITTO with what Wackyrigged had to say! I bought an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur for $50. Worked fine 1st time out, 2nd time it took a GIANT, smelly DUMP! Since, I bought a Shimano Cardiff 301A, have used it numerous times. It casts a mile, the drag is oh so sweet and smooth, etc. I know it's the difference between $50 and $110, but it is WORTH EVERY PENNY of it!! Trust me and Wackyrigged!

Tom
over and out

jbassc
02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
i would go with the core 100 mg or mgfv and cumara setup works great for me.

DarkShadow
02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
i would go with the core 100 mg or mgfv and cumara setup works great for me.

For some reason, judging from the original poster's reel and rod choices, I don't think their budget is over 600 dollars.

But the Core/Cumara is pretty money, I agree.

BassFreak
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Whatever you choose, Try handling the rod with the reel at the store before you buy. see how it feels in your hand.. it doesnt matter how nice your reel or rod is if they dont match well together..

DarkShadow
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Whatever you choose, Try handling the rod with the reel at the store before you buy. see how it feels in your hand.. it doesnt matter how nice your reel or rod is if they dont match well together..

BF,

I thought you would recommend a Megabass Slant Bridge Diablo F5 1/2-68XFT with a Conquest 50DC on there.

;-)

BassFreak
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
BF,

I thought you would recommend a Megabass Slant Bridge Diablo F5 1/2-68XFT with a Conquest 50DC on there.

;-)

Perfect set up for those lloyds!

lovefofish
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I had The capest bps reel For ever! I still got it somewhere I took out the mag brake system and that thing casted A MILE. but the curado 200e7 is the best, not the 2ooe5 to low of gears for me.