PDA

View Full Version : salt fly fishing

gogreeenz4
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
never done it im a huge freshwater fly angler but i think i want to try something new come summer time when local streams slow down on the bite. I was wantin to pick the minds of fnn saltwater fly fisherman to see what i should do for patterns, leader and tippet sizes, were to fish. i assume its the compelete oppositse of what im doing now for dinky trout

City Dad
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
The most helpful thing to do would probably be to visit either Bob Marriot's in Fullerton or The Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. Those guys will get you pointed in the right direction.

When I go to the beach and bring both a 7wt and a 5wt depending on the surf. Sinking tip on the 7 and floating on the 5. Surf dictates which one I go with.

A stripping basket is a must. Both Bob's and Fisherman's spot have selections of saltwater and surf flies. My favorite is a chartreuse and white Clouser.

A sinlge six-foot piece of 4lb mono seems to work just fine as a leader and tippet.

It's a lot of fun... and there's always a chance you stick a real monster.

PM if you want any flies.

gogreeenz4
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
The most helpful thing to do would probably be to visit either Bob Marriot's in Fullerton or The Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. Those guys will get you pointed in the right direction.

When I go to the beach and bring both a 7wt and a 5wt depending on the surf. Sinking tip on the 7 and floating on the 5. Surf dictates which one I go with.

A stripping basket is a must. Both Bob's and Fisherman's spot have selections of saltwater and surf flies. My favorite is a chartreuse and white Clouser.

A sinlge six-foot piece of 4lb mono seems to work just fine as a leader and tippet.

It's a lot of fun... and there's always a chance you stick a real monster.

PM if you want any flies.

wait for the leader you dont use a tapered leader like for freshwater creeks i fish i usually have a rio floroflex 6x or 7x tapered leader..

thanks for the advice a ton it will be very helpful soon here

and for flies i tie as well and enjoi it but i also enjoi others creations equally as much..do you have a leech pattern you tie i want to get a couple leeches in black ..like a vandaaleech i believe its called and ive heard a lot of good about your ritz caddis i believe you call it id like to get a few of those in 16 and 18 and maybe some size 14 or 16 stimmies if possible

JimmisLine
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Also, try His & Her Fly Fishing Shop is Costa Mesa. Great staff. Very helpfull.

gogreeenz4
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Also, try His & Her Fly Fishing Shop is Costa Mesa. Great staff. Very helpfull.

ive seen that shop but never stoppd by now i will defiantly.. i love marriots for trout stuff but would you say there selction of saltwater is better then marriots?

JapanRon
02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi gogreeenz4,

his and her ...... should be your must-visit. They have scheduled get-togethers and lots of 'surf' flyfishing stuff too. You didn't mention your fishing platform. Might check the 'checkerboard' series of flies for the surf. They'll be at the FH show I suspect. His passed away (I believe) but Her is still running the shop.

JapanRon

bowler
02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
never done it im a huge freshwater fly angler but i think i want to try something new come summer time when local streams slow down on the bite. I was wantin to pick the minds of fnn saltwater fly fisherman to see what i should do for patterns, leader and tippet sizes, were to fish. i assume its the compelete oppositse of what im doing now for dinky trout

What City Dad said go to Bob Marriot's in Fullerton. Go when they have the fly fishing show. The year i went they had a Class on how to fish the surf. So me and my friend went to the class and got tips and what flies to you. We got the flies then we went to the surf the following week and did everything they told us in the class. It help i caught my first fish in the surf with a fly rod it was a short halibut.

gogreeenz4
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
What City Dad said go to Bob Marriot's in Fullerton. Go when they have the fly fishing show. The year i went they had a Class on how to fish the surf. So me and my friend went to the class and got tips and what flies to you. We got the flies then we went to the surf the following week and did everything they told us in the class. It help i caught my first fish in the surf with a fly rod it was a short halibut.

ohhhh hell yeah if i get a halibut for my first salt fish on the fly rod ima be sooo stokd..but defiantly a good idea im on there mail list so ill loook and see when there next class is...thanks for the advice and sometime soon if youd like we should get at the surf

bowler
02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
ohhhh hell yeah if i get a halibut for my first salt fish on the fly rod ima be sooo stokd..but defiantly a good idea im on there mail list so ill loook and see when there next class is...thanks for the advice and sometime soon if youd like we should get at the surf

Ok sounds good. I can show you a few beach where there are spotfin, corbina and halibut fishing.

Nessie Hunter
02-18-2011, 06:59 AM
These Fly Posts get me all fired up!!!
Im still learning and have not done anything but a few Freshwater tests so far..
Enjoy it a lot, and have hooked 2 trout so far...
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now & then... LMAO

gogreeenz4
02-18-2011, 08:33 AM
These Fly Posts get me all fired up!!!
Im still learning and have not done anything but a few Freshwater tests so far..
Enjoy it a lot, and have hooked 2 trout so far...
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now & then... LMAO

hahahahaha most defiantly it does but thats dope you choose fly rod..i wish there was a fly fishing link i guess like how there is so cal fresh so cal salt nor cal fresh norcal salt and etc i wish they had a fly fishing one where all fly guys could go.. but bowler id defiantly love to do that and would buy you lunch for the tips ..thats the least i could do