PDA

View Full Version : Corona Lake – 2/12 & 2/13

JohnnyBoy
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Corona Lake – 2/12 & 2/13

Saturday, 2/13

This last week, I’ve taken up a challenge with a friend, that I can catch as many fish fly fishing as he can, even though I’m a spinning enthusiast. Anyhow, with much enthusiasm I purchased an 8’6” Fenwick with carrying case and Loomis #5 fly reel at Fisherman’s hardware in HB. Then I wandered over to His & Hers fly shop in Costa Mesa and had my reel spooled and purchased some flies/nymphs the next day. I highly recommend His & Hers fly shop. The shop owner Frank took me on the side of the building and spent about 30 minutes with me teaching me how to cast at no extra charge. Not the snobbish clique I was told Fly Fisherman were supposed to be and may be, but not these people.

I arrive at the lake by about 6:15 and I’m out on the water by 6:45. I fished my spin setups first. After last weeks bite fest, I was hoping for the same. It was in fact slow. But I still managed 6 fish to the net by around 11am. What worked, well and Saturday it seemed to be an array of colors. I caught one with white/orange, two green/green, and three white/yellow. Came in stretched the legs setup the fly rig and back out I went.

I actually got bit and couldn’t believe it, I was so excited, but then from taunt head shakes to limp. You know the feeling, like someone just let the air out of your balloon. So my friend had his laughs that day. I continued to practice casting and watching the strike indicator. No love yet.

Sunday 2/14

Once again I was on the lake by 6:45 in the morning. Move across the lake this day, and noticed that the crowds were real thin. I found a little area near the bank and worked the bank. I re-dipped my presentation and cast the first rod out, and while I was dipping the second offering my first offering got bit. So I kept going across about a 20 yard lane back and forth to the tune of 8 fish by about 9:30 AM. The flavor of the day for me anyhow was green on green. I caught 7 on green on green and one on white on yellow.

Great, now I can at least fish my new rig in the still good part of the day. Kicked back across the lake, stretched the legs and rigged up the new Fly setup and back out across the lake. Today I received no love. My casting improved dramatically but I just couldn’t get that damn fly bit. This top down approach wasn’t working. Who knows where I was in the water column. I was using a green midge on a 6x 9 ft leader/tippet. Then I went switched up to a green woolly bugger. No love there either. Thank goodness my bud wasn’t with me today; I’d have to hear the laughing. Can someone help a brother out here? All suggestions for the fly rig will be taken and humbly put to use. If I don’t get bit next week, I’m just going to throw what I know works, the plastic worm. That’s right; I’ll wacky rig the trout worm on a fly rod, just so I don’t have to hear about it. Unconventional I know, but what’s a spin guy supposed to do?
:Beer Toast:

phishin phool
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Great report JB, I think I saw ya out there sat, with 6 fish by 11am you did better than 95%of the guys i saw on the water, good job!! When you say orange/white, green/green, are you talkin about egg/worm combos?

kirkboat
02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
are you using a indicator? if so rig fly 14" of bottom..i've done best with red nymph or my secret fly-a small san juan worm..his and hers can set you up...my shoulder seems to be doing better so i might start doing some fly fishing again.......

Marley
02-15-2011, 06:37 PM
To find the dostance to the bottom, put a heavier splitshot on the end of your leader and let it sink to the bottom. You can also use hemos or some other heavy-enough item. When the shot hits bottom, reel in line until your rod tip touches the water with the shot still bottomed-out. Lift the rod tip until the weight comes clear of the water and there's your depth; the length of line coming off the rod. You can then adjust your bottom fly to the desired depth.
BTW, I believe we spoke briefly Saturday on the backside of the lake. I mentioned something about trying out "the long rod." Good to meet you!

JohnnyBoy
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Great report JB, I think I saw ya out there sat, with 6 fish by 11am you did better than 95%of the guys i saw on the water, good job!! When you say orange/white, green/green, are you talkin about egg/worm combos?

Hi phishin phool, yes, I am talking about the egg/worm. So when I say green/green I mean green egg/green worm etc.

JohnnyBoy
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
are you using a indicator? if so rig fly 14" of bottom..i've done best with red nymph or my secret fly-a small san juan worm..his and hers can set you up...my shoulder seems to be doing better so i might start doing some fly fishing again.......

Hi Kirkboat, Yes is was using an idicator rigged right where they leader/tippet attached to the fly line. using floating WF 6x. A small san juan worm. Ok, I'll give it a whirl. Did you mean 14 feet and not 14 inches ? Please clarify as I am a total neophyte when it comes to the fly stuff and not ashamed to admit my complete lack of knowledge in this area. Again, all tips are thankfully and humbly received and will be put to immediate use.

JohnnyBoy
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
To find the dostance to the bottom, put a heavier splitshot on the end of your leader and let it sink to the bottom. You can also use hemos or some other heavy-enough item. When the shot hits bottom, reel in line until your rod tip touches the water with the shot still bottomed-out. Lift the rod tip until the weight comes clear of the water and there's your depth; the length of line coming off the rod. You can then adjust your bottom fly to the desired depth.
BTW, I believe we spoke briefly Saturday on the backside of the lake. I mentioned something about trying out "the long rod." Good to meet you!

Hi Marley, what type of boat were you in ? The pontoon boat ? or a float tube ? Were you the gent in the blue fish cat ?

Marley
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi Marley, what type of boat were you in ? The pontoon boat ? or a float tube ? Were you the gent in the blue fish cat ?

I was in a rental. We talked about midges as well, I believe.

phishin phool
02-16-2011, 10:08 PM
thats what i thought, I've had great luck with the orange/white too as well as green/orange and vice versa. Ijust started using the power mouse with power "gulp" bait, just kind driftin it and that has been workin good too. maybe I'll see ya out there soon.