PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Cali to fish

Munkyface
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok, my name is scott. I live in Texas and, I will be in LA for the month of March. I would like to go fishing . Here I do alot of saltwater fishing. I have been looking online for a boat or harbour to go out of. Every website touts to be the best, so I figured I would ask the people who know.
I would like to do a party boat or charter, a week end trip that is 36ish hours long. I dont really know what kind of fish to target, (never fished in the Pacific). I am looking for some helpful suggestions all the way around. Thanks for all your help.

fishingforreds
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
In March the rockfish will be back in season so that will give you alot more choices. The open party trips out here are a little bit different than the ones in Texas. Out here it goes by overnight, 1.5 day, 2 day, etc. Overnight trips usually leave the night before around 9 or 10pm depending on the boat and they will usually return the following day around 7 or 8pm. 1.5 day trips will usually leave the following night around 9 or 10 also and fish sunrise to sunset and return back to the landing anywhere from 2-5am the following day. During this time most you really can't go wrong with any of the landings that run an overnight operation as they would be targeting the rockfish.

The boat's that are more towards San Diego will most likely still target Mexican waters and still target rockfish, most likely areas Indian or Finger Bank, Colonett are most likely areas.

Ifishtoolittle
02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
How much you looking to spend? Or does it not matter, and you just want to FISH?!?!

ToadsToadsOnly
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Winter Offshore fishing in California sucks compare to the south our bottom fish are babies compare to what you guys catch in the south. Especially your winter fishing you guys get the big groupers, AJ, tuna on your 24-36 hr trips. If you book something equivalent to that here it would be called an overnighter or 1 1/2 and what you would be catching is ling cod, rock cod, calico bass and if you get lucky maybe a sea bass or yellowtail. Don't mean to disappoint you but that is our winter fishing here. But if you got fishing fever like most of us, I'd go anyway add another new species for the list.

Munkyface
02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Ifishtoolittle - I just want to catch fish! What did you have in mind?

Ifishtoolittle
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I was going to tell you to go on a 1.5 dayer to one our many local islands for Rockfish, Lings, Calicos, and possibly White Seabass. As far as which boat or landing to look up I'll try to find you something. Oh and are you going to bring any gear with you when you come to LA? Because the rental stuff here is, eh, well they get the job done. But the gear isn't top notch.

Munkyface
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I would like to bring some gear, but this is a company trip and they dont look kindly on extra fees. I will see what I can do, but I will probably just have to use local rental gear. I appreciate the help.

fishingforreds
02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Where are you going to be staying? Knowing where you are we can guide to towards a landing/boat.

Munkyface
02-17-2011, 12:22 PM
It looks like I will be in LA near Wilshire / Hancock Park.

fishingforreds
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Looks like you will be around the Bevery Hill's area. Closest landings and boat's would be:

Spitfire outta Marina Del Rey they are a 3/4 day operation

Tradition outta Redondo Sportfishing. By March they should be back to their regualr 3/4 day operation also.

Freedom outta 22nd St. Landing. They are a overnight boat but I'm not sure if they will be back in the water by the time you are out here.

Victory or Toronado outta Pierpoint Landing. Victory is a 3/4 day operation and the Toronado is an overnight. Not sure if the Toronado will be running by March as last time I saw it, it's deck was cut open for repairs.

Depending on when you plan on going fishing (weekday or weekend) there are other boat's/options out there if your willing to drive a little further.

Munkyface
02-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Man, thanks a lot. This is a great starting point. Ill let you know how it turns out.